No Oppo Supporters Hawks and Pokies

Remove this Banner Ad

Pokies are pokies.
Addicted people are addicted people.
Pokies are deliberately designed to be addictive.
How difficult is that to understand?
Mate if you don't want to actually talk you can leave the thread

Pokies are pokies.
Addicted people are addicted people.
Pokies are deliberately designed to be addictive.
How difficult is that to understand?
The law that prevents the staff from intervening doesn’t exist in Victoria. That is what everyone is suggesting. You aren’t dealing with those points.

Simply put that is why I'm pro pokies, for all the bad, the good of them being government controlled and profits now more likely to go to sports clubs than before it's a hell of a lot better than online gambling and money going somewhat overseas or backyard rooms with mafiaso.

You won't stop it, people will gamble, so it's better to manage it and use some of what you get back to run programs. To close it down will just send it underground and the money won't go back to society or help them.

Is it perfect? Hell NO! But the alternatives will be so much worse.

Hey Mum, Grandpa's in hospital he broke his hand do you know what happened?

Well Son, he went into one of those illegal gambling dens borrowed a $1000 of a loan shark they have on hand if you want to keep betting to try and win his money back and lost it all, he hasn't paid them back so now he owes $10000 with interest and they broke his hand as a warning to pay.

Geez Mum, I didn't know that happened, it used be a lot safer when we had pokies... what are we going to do?

Well Son Dad's borrowing $10,000 with a bank to pay them today. But we don't know how to stop him, the government got rid of all the gambling programs once they stopped getting the gambling proceeds. I don't know son we might lose him if he does it again, we can't afford to bail him out again.

In Perth we replace our pub/entertainment venues with Dan Murphy's, Tab's and newsagents selling lotto tickets and scratches.
I have lost many a favorite local because they just can't compete.

In Perth we replace our pub/entertainment venues with Dan Murphy's, Tab's and newsagents selling lotto tickets and scratches.
I have lost many a favorite local because they just can't compete.

That's interesting. My wife once a week spends 4 or 5 bucks on scratchies. Quite often she goes there and they are out lately.
When she asked why the newsagent said since Pokies stopped we have people coming in buying whole rolls so a thousand scratchies at a time.
He said one guy came in and spent $10K on the spot. Never used to happen, people will find ways to scratch their itch.

That's interesting. My wife once a week spends 4 or 5 bucks on scratchies. Quite often she goes there and they are out lately.
When she asked why the newsagent said since Pokies stopped we have people coming in buying whole rolls so a thousand scratchies at a time.
He said one guy came in and spent $10K on the spot. Never used to happen, people will find ways to scratch their itch.

I have been a member of both the Scarborough surf life savers club and the Surfers paradise surf life savers club and the difference in funds to spend on equipment is amazing.

That's a sad story, but I think it ultimately supports the opinions of many of us.

Pokies are bad and I would be happy to see them abolished.

Since they are legal Victoria, someone is going to make money from them. I would prefer that someone to be Hawthorn.

You sound like a pokies defender trying false equivalence.
No, i dont work for any gambling company.
Bad luck, try facts.
Haha. This is your funniest & most hypocritical post yet.
You want others to use facts ??
Something you’ve lacked in your posts.
You’ve made may assumptions based on opinion in this thread

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huge news. Massive day for the club to finally be rid of this scourge.

Considering we pocket around $23m a year from this, curious to see what the sale price is.
Well, the EBITDA multiplier would be reasonably healthy, so if $23m a year is correct, then the sale price should be enough to build Dingley entirely

Well, the EBITDA multiplier would be reasonably healthy, so if $23m a year is correct, then the sale price should be enough to build Dingley entirely
Football clubs get a tax advantage for pokies that a private company doesn’t. Sale won’t be as high as you think based on our dividend.

The email from Jeff states the forecast is debt free once Dingley is completed.

Huge news. Massive day for the club to finally be rid of this scourge.

Considering we pocket around $23m a year from this, curious to see what the sale price is.

We're not quite out of the pokies business just yet, I believe. Hawthorn operates a couple of venues with pokies, one of which is the one sold today. Hawthorn had 165 machines before the sale, and I understand that 90 machines are linked to the venue being sold.

Edited to add - the club still owns the Vegas Club at Waverley Gardens, which has pokie machines.

Last edited:
The email from Jeff states the forecast is debt free once Dingley is completed.
He said the objective is to deliver it debt free. Whether the current forecasts currently align with that objective is another thing.

We're not quite out of the pokies business just yet, I believe. Hawthorn operates a couple of venues with pokies, one of which is the one sold today. Hawthorn had 165 machines before the sale, and I understand that 90 machines are linked to the venue being sold.

It’s a start and that’s a good thing. I respect they won’t be rushed into doing something that hurts the clubs bottom line, but I also hope it’s within the next 5 years.

Vegas room at Waverley Gardens is now our only pokies venue

Remove this Banner Ad

Back