Autopsy Hawks do it for Burgers. Hawks defeat Crows - Rd 13, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Last night was "The points of the Compass"

The deplorable crappy 1st half was a game were both teams went NORTH SOUTH on an EAST WEST oval.

I remember, and this sad, a similar game, I think on a cold wintry Saturday night at the 'G' against I think St Kilda and at half time, then Captain Sam Mitchell spoke to his opposite number and said lets not play like that again. I was hoping that Jarryd would do the same, well at least we did anyway because in the 3rd quarter low and behold... we started to go WEST (We were kicking City end). Suddenly all this over use and criss cross the ground and back again and often going back was banished and the team just went
  • Direct down the middle - owning the corridor
  • Kicked long
  • Played on
  • Outsmarted the Crows
Was great football for a quarter and it showed on the scoreboard. 7 goals, 2 behinds to 0 goals 0 points to Adelaide.

Example in the 3rd was I think a free to McEvoy at full back area, he kicks long and Smith gets it, handballs to the running Burton who kicks long to Ceglar in the forward 50. 2 kicks and handball through the middle and we are from deep back line to lining up for the shot on goal! Amazing and great to watch, not this lets go sideways, backwards, forwards a little then across the field and back again to find ourselves in the same position 6 kicks later.

And, how is it though in this day and age that the Centre Half Back ends up being the only multiple goal kicker with 3 in 1 quarter????

Last quarter we took the foot off the pedal a bit and started to go back to a bit of this moving the ball backwards, sideways and cross the field rather than the direct play we used in the 3rd.

I like to think the fall back to this as I define as NORTH SOUTH football is that Coach Clarkson plays the long game with one eye on the finals and not wanting to show other teams what we CAN do when we do play direct down the middle EAST WEST football. Still, as a supporter watching I would prefer this than the overuse crap we have come to see.

Thankfully for us, Adelaide stayed in the same mode all game! Terrible by their team. They look a shadow of their former top 4 selves.

Jon Ceglar. Poor Tim O'Brien. This one game just consigned him to the ranks of the VFL. Ceglars game was exactly what we never really got from TOB.
Of note was the amount of time Cegs spent off the field per quarter. Hopefully only a result of coming back from injury and match fitness not quite there because when he was in our forward line, our structure looked reasonably GOOD but with definite room for improvement. Forward set up with Ceglar on the bench and McEvoy rucking, Gunston playing back just did not look right. Poppy cannot be expected to take the hangers and should not be playing as the marking forward.

Anyway, some good signs. Go Hawks.

Took me back to the 3peat years. Clarko flicks the switch and we win a game with 10 minutes of irresistible footy, then back to cruise control.

Massive congrats Shaun Burgoyne on 350. So proud to have you at the Hawks.

Loved what Langers brought. His third effort tackle a highlight, the ensuing free kick for goal not so much but he wasn’t alone missing easy ones. Burgs, Breust, Ruff and JOM all kicked more behinds than goals. Build some confidence and Langers will be invaluable at the business end.

Duryea the same. Doesn’t look out of place up forward. Those near misses go through and suddenly he’s a gun.

Heartening to see Jono back fit and firing. Perhaps our best in the first quarter. Ran out of gas late in the game but a promising return. Hope he gets some continuity. O’Brien stays in the twos to learn how to get the ball.

And Silky Sic, the Blond Burgoyne. Forget 23 Derm, if Shaun ever does retire, Sic will be getting number 9.

I'd love someone to sit Brand down and make him watch all the footage of Harris Andrews' defensive work this year

Kaiden just seems to enjoy the wresting far too much, whereas Andrews goes straight at the ball every single time, backing himself in to either take the mark or spoil his opponent; and rarely gives away a free kick in the process

Brand has enough tools in terms of disposal and agility to play the same role Andrews does; but it is just that panic mode that happens with every contest that he needs to stamp out

You could say that about any one if you only watch highlights. (not disagreeing, just pointing out Highlights paint a different picture to whole game viewing)
Anyone can feel free to watch games from start to finish if they want , they’ll still see that Jordan was huge in that period.
In 2014 Sam Mitchell was out for 8 weeks, guess who stepped up to become our most dominant mid?
What highlights show is how involved a player is in his teams scoring so if one knows what to look for, they’ll find it.

I'd love someone to sit Brand down and make him watch all the footage of Harris Andrews' defensive work this year

Kaiden just seems to enjoy the wresting far too much, whereas Andrews goes straight at the ball every single time, backing himself in to either take the mark or spoil his opponent; and rarely gives away a free kick in the process

Brand has enough tools in terms of disposal and agility to play the same role Andrews does; but it is just that panic mode that happens with every contest that he needs to stamp out
That's not Brand's problem, that's the coaches problem. They're training him to be a prototype, rather than training him to make use of his strengths.

When he first came to Hawthorn and was moved into defense, he was immediately trained to take the body and wrestle. This doesn't play to his strengths of being able to read the flight of the ball and use his length do beat his opponent. If you watch the game again, he never lost an air battle where he was able to read the flight, run and jump, and then reach to spoil.

Same thing happened with Schoenmakers; he was taught to find the body. Schoenmakers has very poor flight judgement so as soon as he went the body and took his eyes off the ball, he was done.

Brand is all over the shop.

I’m not sure panic mode can be coached out of a player.

That's not Brand's problem, that's the coaches problem. They're training him to be a prototype, rather than training him to make use of his strengths.

When he first came to Hawthorn and was moved into defense, he was immediately trained to take the body and wrestle. This doesn't play to his strengths of being able to read the flight of the ball and use his length do beat his opponent. If you watch the game again, he never lost an air battle where he was able to read the flight, run and jump, and then reach to spoil.

Same thing happened with Schoenmakers; he was taught to find the body. Schoenmakers has very poor flight judgement so as soon as he went the body and took his eyes off the ball, he was done.

That's a fair call; if that actually is the case then obviously the coaches know more about the situation than myself so I have less of a qualm with it

But as you say, when he does play to his strengths, he does so usually to good effect. It's an issue I have with defending in general throughout the AFL, which is why young Andrews impresses me so much

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sicily led with the fist tonight. He had no contested marks, but a bag of 1%. Jumps higher and later than the pack and times it perfectly.
Noticed this in one of the supposed first half "highlights" as selected by afl.com.au. the Eddie Betts almost-mark-of-the-year which was comprehensively spoiled by Sicily. i found it strange that a non-mark made the highlights reel but they didn't have time for Langer's three-peat tackle effort which was way more worthy. i guess they were struggling to find any Adelaide positives out of the match.

I’m not sure panic mode can be coached out of a player.

It's an interesting one. Under some circumstances you're right, the panic under pressure simply can't be corrected in the mind of said player; however I do believe it can be either eliminated or at least managed better.

Working as a coach myself (albeit a tennis coach, but sports psychology extends to all situations) I've seen many kids be able to turn around a skill or set of skills, which at first they couldn't execute at a required percentage, but after repetition in training of said skill over and over again, it becomes almost second nature. After this point you can physically see the outward confidence in that particular skill, and the rate at which the skill was executed correctly significantly improved. Yes it's a bit different to professional AFL football, but the same principles can be applied

Of course I don't know half of the inside coaching situation with Kaiden either, but I do believe he has the capability to be able to correct the 'panic mode'

Noticed this in one of the supposed first half "highlights" as selected by afl.com.au. the Eddie Betts almost-mark-of-the-year which was comprehensively spoiled by Sicily. i found it strange that a non-mark made the highlights reel but they didn't have time for Langer's three-peat tackle effort which was way more worthy. i guess they were struggling to find any Adelaide positives out of the match.
The spoil actually knocked it closer to Eddies hands or it shouldve been paid as a non genuine attempt

You reached a new level here mate with your defence of brand. Taking the body in a marking contest is the cornerstone of football especially as a defender all you really need to do is half the contest. You talking about him using his reach is irrelevant because he is not going to have that opportunity every contest. Have you also not considered that his opponent may also have had an intention to engage him physically. You need to be able to adapt to play the game. Saying that he is good at reading the flight of the ball is all well and good you still need to defend. Take Sicily for instance. One of the best readers of the play in the game. He still engages the body when he needs to its the essence of a marking contest. Brand just doesn't have it at this stage. He is probably low on confidence as well

You reached a new level here mate with your defence of brand. Taking the body in a marking contest is the cornerstone of football especially as a defender all you really need to do is half the contest. You talking about him using his reach is irrelevant because he is not going to have that opportunity every contest. Have you also not considered that his opponent may also have had an intention to engage him physically. You need to be able to adapt to play the game. Saying that he is good at reading the flight of the ball is all well and good you still need to defend. Take Sicily for instance. One of the best readers of the play in the game. He still engages the body when he needs to its the essence of a marking contest. Brand just doesn't have it at this stage. He is probably low on confidence as well
No s**t, sherlock.

I wasn't even defending Brand.
But Brand won every body contest he had with Jenkins, including the incorrect call by the umpire.

But whatever, you'll probably find something to disagree with, with this post too.

No s**t, sherlock.

I wasn't even defending Brand.
But Brand won every body contest he had with Jenkins, including the incorrect call by the umpire.

But whatever, you'll probably find something to disagree with, with this post too.
Naah mate all good it's an opinion. We won that's all that matters

Crows were bad, real bad. We were putrid for 3 quarters and a half decent team would've punished us. A lot to work on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back