hawks v bulldogs...

Remove this Banner Ad

lasher

Club Legend
Mar 11, 2004
follow the sun...!!!
Other Teams
hawks
not an easy game for us..doggies have played well but forgotton how to win..we will have to play well to win..last time we played , we gave them a hiding , but , rawlings had a great day for us and now he's playing with them...here is my side for sunday given that i think crawford will miss...

B: osbourne jacobs graham

HB: smith croad sewell

C : vand'berg picioane beaumont

HF: hodge barker lekkas

F : williams thompson dixon

Foll : everitt , mitchell , ries ......

inter : McCabe , bateman , clarke , lonie ....

crawford and brown out suspended..
cambell i have dropped for poor form...
i have brought in picioane as he was best for boxhill and has recovered from injury...i have left sewell in the side to give him in another go,think he did ok on debut..bateman also played ok for boxhill as did mccabe...

thoughts from other hawks........???????

the side may switch around positions,i think our two big match ups for the day will be rawlings and grant...i think we can cover them ok...i would play jacobs on rawlings, the trade v the trade..see what happens.........will be interesting...

Originally posted by lasher

Bateman struggled getting through last weeks Box Hill game. Think he needs at least another week. Picioane.. yea.. I like him but geez.. that's not a lot of mid-field pace and the Doggies ARE quick.

I'd probably bite the bullet and give Kane a go simply because he can run, kick the ball well and is a natural winger. Also bring Lonie up to the other wing and shift Beaumont down back. Might be worth the punt to put Joel Smith on the ball too.

Whatever they do, do NOT try and 'stretch' them for height. Look how much a disaster that was against North with Holland, Barker, Lekkas, Thompson all giving us a glacier like hf line.

Though there should be up to a half dozen changes, given the suspensions (I'd have dropped Brown anyway) of Crawford and Brown our options are cut down.

No wholesale changes simply because we don't have the replacements. Barlow is needed and in a hurry. Gives us a 6'1 runner with finishing skills and marking ability.

Should win but not going into it with any confidence whatsoever.

Play Barker at CHB to see if he has anything left. Play Jacobs on Rawlings. Play Thompson at CHF and Beumont up forward. Bring in Picione and run Clarke on West. Tell Vanders hes been around long enough not to be sucked in by a toerag like Carr and he owes the team a big one.

Originally posted by andrew coombs
Play Barker at CHB to see if he has anything left. Play Jacobs on Rawlings. Play Thompson at CHF and Beumont up forward. Bring in Picione and run Clarke on West. Tell Vanders hes been around long enough not to be sucked in by a toerag like Carr and he owes the team a big one.
Don't like the idea of Barker at CHB, andrew, IMO he is not fleet-footed enough for the position - however, could prove me wrong if placed there. Like your other choices though.

Barker at FF (he and Dixon are the only players we have who know how to lead), Thommo at CHF (being falling down there badly) and Graham on Rawlings (if he plays).
Piciaone for Brown, if Crawf doesn't get up (and I suspect he might), bring in Cox - we need extra pace badly - and play him on the wing.
Robbie Campbell needs to stay in as back-up to some degree, but it's going to be a wet day (16 degrees and rain), so a couple of runners as emergencies (eg. Kane) just in case.
Clarke on Johnson - his run will hurt us more (without underestimating West to any degree), and he did the job on the taller Green in Rd 1, although granted Johnson is a far superior player. Joel Smith on him if he goes forward.
PLAY HODGE IN THE MIDDLE!!!!! And our best crumber/f&s player in the forward pocket (Lekkas).
Most importantly, there needs to be a sense of 'urgency' instilled into the players - despite all the doom and gloom from many of the faithful, the season is a long way from over. A win on Sunday, a dip against Brisbane the following week, and then 3 very winnable games (if we are to get somewhere this year and if our confidence is up) could have us 5-3 - I think we'd all take that atm.

Just turn up, won't be a problem. You will find that guys that have been disappointing for you the last couple of weeks will return to form.
We are gone for 2004. The close losses only tell half the story.

Originally posted by SCRAY72
Just turn up, won't be a problem. You will find that guys that have been disappointing for you the last couple of weeks will return to form.
We are gone for 2004. The close losses only tell half the story.

I wasn't trying to be disrespectful of the Western Bulldogs. I just thought if ever the Bulldogs were going to pull one off it was the week they celebrated their 1954 premiership win. It should have inspired the Bulldogs but it didn't.

Also, the Hawks should be hopping mad after our lamentable performance against Port Adelaide. In two weeks time we play Brisbane at the Gabba. If we don't beat the Bulldogs this week, 2004 is rushing around the S-bend for us as well.

Originally posted by The Candy Man
I wasn't trying to be disrespectful of the Western Bulldogs. I just thought if ever the Bulldogs were going to pull one off it was the week they celebrated their 1954 premiership win. It should have inspired the Bulldogs but it didn't.

Also, the Hawks should be hopping mad after our lamentable performance against Port Adelaide. In two weeks time we play Brisbane at the Gabba. If we don't beat the Bulldogs this week, 2004 is rushing around the S-bend for us as well.

We have already rounded the S bend, full flush.
I didn't imply that you were disrespectful although opposition teams stopped respecting us a couple of years back.
Good luck on Sunday.

Originally posted by SCRAY72
We have already rounded the S bend, full flush.
I didn't imply that you were disrespectful although opposition teams stopped respecting us a couple of years back.
Good luck on Sunday.

I respect ALL opponents ...... good luck to the Bulldogs as well.

Originally posted by lasher
...here is my side for sunday given that i think crawford will miss...

Changes I heard earlier....

IN: Ball, McCabe, Picioane, Holland

OUT: Brown (Susp), Campbell (Omit), Dixon (Omit), Barker (Inj)

straight after our game against port last week i would have been happy with the 4 points. now after a week i've gotten greedy and want a game where the last quarter is simply a question of hawks by how much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back