Hawthorn forward line 2022 and beyond

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Do we know if he has a long kick on him, would he have the ability to break from a stoppage around 50 and ping it through?

Not sure about if he can launch one like Downie, but he can certainly dash away from players and hit lead up targets. From limited viewing he seems to have the rare talent of being able to place kicks even whilst moving at top speed.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Could be an option IMO. I suggested it earlier, but it doesn't seem to be a popular potential option. The way I see it is Kosi could certainly be quick enough to keep up with leading KPF's, which is something that Callow may struggle with. He's also a strong unit and could potentially be able to hold his own in a wrestle.

We will need a KPD that will compliment DGB, and unless we bring one in we are looking at Callow as the only option after Hartigan.

It's unpopular because Kosi wasn't really developing in that defensive role, to the point that we all probably thought he was close to being delisted.

I believe it's been reported that Sam Mitchell suggested trialling him up forward and he responded by kicking 27 goals (33 if you also count the pre-season game) and collected 3 Brownlow votes.
Looks like a forward for the rest of his career to me.

It was evident last year that 3 talls in the F50 didnt work.
It might in 2022 under a different game style.

I hope Sammy tries it again.
Was probably always going to struggle with such poor delivery from the middle.

Lewis, Jeka, Kosi and Gunston should cause headaches for opposition sides, particular if Lewis stays deep, Gunston roams up to the wings and Jeka plays true CHF.

Mix in Brockman, Moore, Butler and Mitchell getting to their feet wherever they are forward contesting of centre and it will exciting to watch.

Sep 28, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Was probably always going to struggle with such poor delivery from the middle.

Lewis, Jeka, Kosi and Gunston should cause headaches for opposition sides, particular if Lewis stays deep, Gunston roams up to the wings and Jeka plays true CHF.

Mix in Brockman, Moore, Butler and Mitchell getting to their feet wherever they are forward contesting of centre and it will exciting to watch.
I think part of the problem with playing Jeka, Kosi and Lewis all up forward is they are all poor to average for a key forward when the ball is on the deck. Plus adding Gunston in off a serious back injury.

Even if we don’t add in a resting ruckman. We will struggle unless we mark the ball most times it goes in. Which good teams should be able to defend.

I’d rather go with a much smaller forward line though that would mean 1 or 2 of Lewis, Kosi or Jeka won’t play. Which would be harsh on them especially if Jeka comes on. It’s a bit of a catch 22

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think part of the problem with playing Jeka, Kosi and Lewis all up forward is they are all poor to average for a key forward when the ball is on the deck. Plus adding Gunston in off a serious back injury.

Even if we don’t add in a resting ruckman. We will struggle unless we mark the ball most times it goes in. Which good teams should be able to defend.

I’d rather go with a much smaller forward line though that would mean 1 or 2 of Lewis, Kosi or Jeka won’t play. Which would be harsh on them especially if Jeka comes on. It’s a bit of a catch 22
Given we will play McEvoy or Lynch with Reeves, only two of Jeka, Kosi and Lewis can play forward, at most. May the best two win :)

Would Kosi be so out of place down back again? Have Lewis and Jeka up front, potentially two rucks but Kosi plays down back instead of Hartigan and can rotate into the forward line when/if needed. I haven't seen a lot of Kosi down back so possibly he wasn't developing as nicely down there as hoped - but he was an underage AA at fullback. As it stands he is needed up forward as he has proven capable of making an impact up there, but if Jeka and Lewis are getting the job done it gives us that option of moving him back.
Kosi was spinning wheels in defence. Yes he had injury issues but there was a view from some close to BH he may have been delisted prior to his rejuvenation as a forward. It’s clearly his best position, the chance of him going to defence again would seem extremely unlikely.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
It's unpopular because Kosi wasn't really developing in that defensive role, to the point that we all probably thought he was close to being delisted.

I believe it's been reported that Sam Mitchell suggested trialling him up forward and he responded by kicking 27 goals (33 if you also count the pre-season game) and collected 3 Brownlow votes.
Looks like a forward for the rest of his career to me.

I believe his struggles to develop were mostly due to his inability to remain fit or get any continuity.

Don't get me wrong, he was great last season - especially for a player playing forward for the first time - and I believe he'll most likely stay as one of our forwards.

But if Lewis and Jeka really kick on then something will have to give. Kosi may end up playing as more of a third tall.

aussie80s

All Australian
Jan 12, 2008
The Mountain
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Wolves, Packers, Celtic, Box Hill
Given we will play McEvoy or Lynch with Reeves, only two of Jeka, Kosi and Lewis can play forward, at most. May the best two win :)
I think the resting ruckman only goes forward to help out an undersized attack. If we have three talls up front then the resting ruck is of better use playing a kick behind play helping out the defenders, as per Gawn, or rotating off the bench.

Topiary

Premium Platinum
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We're not exactly sure what Seamus and Jacky Saunders are capable of yet. A full year of VFL footy (or some time in the seniors) may see one or both really take the next step.
I reckon we have to plan for a fwd line without Wingard, Bruest, Gunston.
Has to be the focus of 2022 AND 2023 Draft. Flood us with options as we did this year with Mids. Add to Butler, Mitchell, Saunders and Moore who had a break out year. Add to Kosi, Lewis, Jeka, and from another thread, Callow. But whoever we add they have to have real Xfactor, can’t just make it, have to excell like Bruest, Gunston and Wingard have.
I sincerely hope a couple of the aforementioned more than make it, if we are to win flags again, we will need quality…..real quality…..not just makeup the numbers.

Back