Bumped Hawthorn - the beginning of the end? Will they make the fnals in 2017?

Remove this Banner Ad

not really, given there was an entire board dedicated to it. Where it could be, and was, discussed endlessly.

Yet on your own board, during your lauded 3peat, it was by far the biggest thread during that time.

To paraphrase the above poster, you'd think Hawthorn fans would be content with winning premierships and would have focused more of their energy on their own clubs successes. But no, Essendon are still buried so deeply in their psyche that they couldn't help themselves but to prioritise on their own board a circle jerk about Essendon.
Obsession would be the word you are looking for.
I'll say it again, the biggest doping investigation the game has ever seen with multiple failings from Essendon and all it's denials and court dealings.

It deserved a thread of its own on our board, much like the many other boards who had similar threads, and I have no idea why you guys continue to whinge and whine about it on the main board like hooked fish.

Silly point, surely you understand that the Essendon saga went on for what? 4 years, 1 topic over 4 years.

A grand final thread or anything else isn't going to be as active as something which kept going on and on for so long with news trickling out over that period.
what's actually silly is you thinking it's actually my point and having a go at me, instead of your Hawthorn supporting mate who actually thinks discussing another team at a topical team is actually an indication of being #headhecked by said team

I'll say it again, the biggest doping investigation the game has ever seen with multiple failings from Essendon and all it's denials and court dealings.

It deserved a thread of its own on our board, much like the many other boards who had similar threads, and I have no idea why you guys continue to whinge and whine about it on the main board like hooked fish.
FINALLY, someone telling it like it is.

hahahaha that's gold, given that the only team it's really mentioned is in response to Hawthorn supporters claiming everyone who ever wants to discuss them on a footy forum is #headhecked :D

Hypocritical much?

A bit like refusing to assert that comments by a certain captain are naive, really :D

hahahaha that's gold, given that the only team it's really mentioned is in response to Hawthorn supporters claiming everyone who ever wants to discuss them on a footy forum is #head****ed :D

Hypocritical much?

A bit like refusing to claim that comments by a certain captain are naive really :D
You don't do context very well if you are linking the two.

Although you're still being hooked by threads on club boards, so that's working better than expected.

You don't do context very well if you are linking the two.

Although you're still being hooked by threads on club boards, so that's working better than expected.
:D

Roughie: "we are not rebuilding, we are fine. We don't need to rebuild. We still have a dozen AA players, so if we train a bit harder we'll still be able to win flags with this group:

Abasi: "seems legit"

Zach Merrett: "we think we have a good group. Yes we think we can win the flag this year"

Abasi: "what a naive loser, imagine saying that"

:D

Roughie: "we are not rebuilding, we are fine. We don't need to rebuild. We still have a dozen AA players, so if we train a bit harder we'll still be able to win flags with this group:

Abasi: "seems legit"
Your paraphrasing needs a little work.

A bit like refusing to assert that comments by a certain captain are naive, really :D

I remember the presser with Dyson and Rough pre Round 1, where Roughead acted indignant when it was suggested that many people expect Hawthorn to fall this year.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/video/2017-03-21/btv-heppell-roughead-media-conference

From 6:55 if you're interested...

Seems to be a fairly common theme running through the Hawks. Self belief is one thing, a refusal to acknowledge the bleedingly obvious is another...

You'd think Essendon fans would be content with being higher on the ladder and would focus more of their energy on their own clubs performances. But no, Hawthorn are still buried so deeply in their psyche that they can't help themselves but come here to participate in a circle jerk lol
The lack of self-awareness is astounding.

Hawthorn supporters have well and truly headhecked themselves.

The next challenge for Rioli is to lead the Hawthorn midfield in their time of transition. He has been a fantastic player in that burst/impact forward of centre role, IMO the best in the game the last 10 years in terms of impact per possession ratio. But it is plainly obvious that Hawthorn need an injection of speed and skill in their midfield, so for mine Rioli needs to change his game for the betterment of the team. Tom Mitchell is an extractor and JOM is silk but not overly quick, so the Rioli skillset is what their midfield is crying out for IMO. I haven't watched much of the Hawks this year - has he spent much time through the midfield?

He has in parts and that's the way it will probably always be. During his career his hamstrings have broken down every time he is given an extended run of games in the midfield. The timing is almost uncanny. So in the last 2 years he has played more as a true half forward with stints in the centre square, with last year being the lowest possession and highest goal year of his career. I think it's just an unfortunately necessary long term strategy that he can't be risked as a long time on-ball player.

leg speed remains a big issue and sharpness as well as player confidence.
I think the biggest issue is player commitment, they aren’t willing themselves into contests and doing the extra little bit.

i think blooding younger players will help push some of the older players.
its no shame to go down, im envious of the hawks 07-16

Do the Hawks have exciting kids coming through Box Hill? I'd be tempted to inject some youth into the mix.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can understand the Essendon supporters being filthy. 2013-2015 was the darkest time of their footy supporting lives whilst it was arguably our greatest.

I can understand where Roughy is coming from. We're clearly devoid of confidence at the moment rather than ability.

Merrett thinking Essendon can win the flag is laughable though. Surely he didn't say that.

Do the Hawks have exciting kids coming through Box Hill? I'd be tempted to inject some youth into the mix.
Box Hill defeated the reigning Premiers the Bulldogs last week, and had a couple of rookies who look promising(two Irishmen, an inside mid, and a KPD)show a few signs.... Long way to go, but the signs are there that we will see a few more debutants as the year progresses.

You can understand the Essendon supporters being filthy. 2013-2015 was the darkest time of their footy supporting lives whilst it was arguably our greatest.

I can understand where Roughy is coming from. We're clearly devoid of confidence at the moment rather than ability.

Merrett thinking Essendon can win the flag is laughable though. Surely he didn't say that.
Just saving yourselves for a good team right? :D:drunk:

I think they're devoid of both tbh. Hodge is probably wishing he was traded too at this point.

Also amusing you couldn't help but mention my club twice in your post about Hawthorn in a thread about Hawthorn. #headhecked

Just saving yourselves for a good team right? :D:drunk:

I think they're devoid of both tbh. Hodge is probably wishing he was traded too at this point.

Also amusing you couldn't help but mention my club twice in your post about Hawthorn in a thread about Hawthorn. #head****ed

It's certainly a case of confidence being shot rather than lack of ability.

It's your opinion, but I tend to agree with the opinion of the 2012 Brownlow medal winner:

2012 Brownlow medalist said:
"Some of their guys are obviously going to be doing it tough, but I know that there's a lot of resilience in that footy club," Mitchell said.

"First-hand, I can say that's a hugely resilient place.

"They're going to be bonded together this week, they're going to be having honest conversations with themselves and each other to say 'What can we do to turn this around?'.

"They're going to be coming out ready to go, all on the same page, all firing together.

"I'm not worried about the footy club Hawthorn having trouble for the long-term.

"I think this is going to be something they’ll go through and they'll become more resilient over the journey.

"Their best is still outstanding, and we're going to have to play really well to win."

As for the Bombers, I'm not overly concerned about them. I think the last two losses against Carlton followed by an Adelaide drubbing has proven them to be nothing more than a middle of the road side, as per usual.

Box Hill defeated the reigning Premiers the Bulldogs last week, and had a couple of rookies who look promising(two Irishmen, an inside mid, and a KPD)show a few signs.... Long way to go, but the signs are there that we will see a few more debutants as the year progresses.

Also JOR best on. Hnnngggg

It's certainly a case of confidence being shot rather than lack of ability.

Unfortunately for you guys, you can't 'will' ability in to your players. They aren't much chop.

As for the Bombers, I'm not overly concerned about them. I think the last two losses against Carlton followed by an Adelaide drubbing has proven them to be nothing more than a middle of the road side, as per usual.

So Essendon are around about where most Essendon fans thought they'd be? Shocking stuff...

Funny thing, this isn't the beginning of the end.

The end has come and gone.

This is the beginning of the beginning for Hawthorn. It's the new normal, and because of its approach to list management it'll likely be normal for quite some time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back