Bumped Hawthorn - the beginning of the end? Will they make the fnals in 2017?

Remove this Banner Ad

um, here?

Hawthorns problems are not because Mitchell and Lewis left. Hawthorns problems are because they traded away too many picks between 2009-2015 to obtain players who delivered them a threepeat.

Not a lot changes if Mitchell and Lewis were still there. I understand that you did not watch a lot of football last year but Hawthorns midfield was stuffed then as well.

All 3 have played up the ground this year, significant midfield time for Rioli.

Cyril defines downhill skier, at least now having to play the remaining years in a crap team he'll be remembered for what he really is.
Moved up the ground into positions that aren't natural and again it doesn't help when our defenders have been utterly useless at rebounding from defensive 50.

Yep because downhill skiers love beating 3 experienced opponents playing in his first season of footy let alone his first grand final. You really need to understand what a downhill skier implies.

So you agree that Jaegar has the same if not more potential than a first round draft pick?

Nope, not in the slightest.

Jaegar is 23yo, and as far as frontline mids go, is a rather average player.

Considering we're now likely looking at a top 5 pick, I'd say your chances of picking up a player that is better than O'Meara would be pretty good.

Callum Mills, Clayton Oliver, Darcy Parish, Josh Kelly, Marcus Bontempelli all drafted in the top five, all mids, all relatively recent, all better prospects than O'Meara.

But that is beside the point - you said that I claimed that ANY first rounder would be better, which I did not. Thus your claim proves you either can't read, or are so distraught over the state of your list that you lashed out with a foolish comment.

The funny thing is that Burton playing as a KPD/lock down defender on Walker was significantly better than what Hartley has done because he didn't just glue himself to a man but also provided run and rebound which is exactly why he is the better player.

I think what i find most hilarious is how severely you overrate your list.

Ugh... Hartley has never played on Walker. Geezus christ did you even bother to check before mashing the keyboard?

Hurley had five goals kicked on him by Walker though - so go on, tell me Burton is a better player than Hurley!

Burton has shown very little. And rightfully so, he's effectively a first year player. The fact you and others are clinging to him like a great white hope when he'd probably be learning his craft in the seconds for most other sides tells you all you need to know about Hawthorn, and its fans.

Moved up the ground into positions that aren't natural and again it doesn't help when our defenders have been utterly useless at rebounding from defensive 50.

Why is Rioli played in the midfield when he sucks so bad at it?

He's a small forward who's flashy who's been lucky to play in a dominant team. If he was HALF as good as the media tell us he is he'd at least be able to break even as a midfielder but he can't, he's awful.

Interesting that little 'rating' average has Rioli ahead in every year. It's almost like Rioli has contributed a lot more than just goals over the course of his career. Also averages more disposals and tackles in each year. It's almost as if they've played different roles (shock) and can't just be compared by the number in the G column at the end of a year.......
The next challenge for Rioli is to lead the Hawthorn midfield in their time of transition. He has been a fantastic player in that burst/impact forward of centre role, IMO the best in the game the last 10 years in terms of impact per possession ratio. But it is plainly obvious that Hawthorn need an injection of speed and skill in their midfield, so for mine Rioli needs to change his game for the betterment of the team. Tom Mitchell is an extractor and JOM is silk but not overly quick, so the Rioli skillset is what their midfield is crying out for IMO. I haven't watched much of the Hawks this year - has he spent much time through the midfield?

You'd think Essendon fans would be content with being higher on the ladder and would focus more of their energy on their own clubs performances. But no, Hawthorn are still buried so deeply in their psyche that they can't help themselves but come here to participate in a circle jerk lol

The next challenge for Rioli is to lead the Hawthorn midfield in their time of transition. He has been a fantastic player in that burst/impact forward of centre role, IMO the best in the game the last 10 years in terms of impact per possession ratio. But it is plainly obvious that Hawthorn need an injection of speed and skill in their midfield, so for mine Rioli needs to change his game for the betterment of the team. Tom Mitchell is an extractor and JOM is silk but not overly quick, so the Rioli skillset is what their midfield is crying out for IMO. I haven't watched much of the Hawks this year - has he spent much time through the midfield?

They tried that with Rioli yesterday, he's not strong enough over the contest and didn't have much influence at all despite spending the most time in the middle that I've ever seen him play. He's possibly the only player in the AFL who gets more kicks in the forward-line than he does playing midfield.

You'd think Essendon fans would be content with being higher on the ladder and would focus more of their energy on their own clubs performances. But no, Hawthorn are still buried so deeply in their psyche that they can't help themselves but come here to participate in a circle jerk lol
Hawthorn is the reason their club is in a mess, remember that recording of hirdy "we need to do anything we can to catch hawthorn"

Nope, not in the slightest.

Jaegar is 23yo, and as far as frontline mids go, is a rather average player.

Considering we're now likely looking at a top 5 pick, I'd say your chances of picking up a player that is better than O'Meara would be pretty good.

Callum Mills, Clayton Oliver, Darcy Parish, Josh Kelly, Marcus Bontempelli all drafted in the top five, all mids, all relatively recent, all better prospects than O'Meara.

But that is beside the point - you said that I claimed that ANY first rounder would be better, which I did not. Thus your claim proves you either can't read, or are so distraught over the state of your list that you lashed out with a foolish comment.

Ugh... Hartley has never played on Walker. Geezus christ did you even bother to check before mashing the keyboard?

Hurley had five goals kicked on him by Walker though - so go on, tell me Burton is a better player than Hurley!

Burton has shown very little. And rightfully so, he's effectively a first year player. The fact you and others are clinging to him like a great white hope when he'd probably be learning his craft in the seconds for most other sides tells you all you need to know about Hawthorn, and its fans.
I'm just going to stop you right there. The fact that you replied to my question of "So you agree that Jaegar has the same if not more potential than a first round draft pick?" with "Nope, not in the slightest" that clearly implies that any first rounder would be better...you're a bright one aren't you.

I'm just going to stop you right there. The fact that you replied to my question of "So you agree that Jaegar has the same if not more potential than a first round draft pick?" with "Nope, not in the slightest" that clearly implies that any first rounder would be better...you're a bright one aren't you.

I am a bright one actually.

The fact that you can't seem to understand a simple concept would suggest the same probably doesn't apply to you.

Jaegar O'Meara is the biggest of a litany of list management mistakes made by the Hawthorn Football Club.

How come your most viewed/replied thread was about Essendon saga? Lots of wasted energy spent on us too.

i wouldn't be worried if i was a hawthorn fan, 4 flags in 8 years including a 3peat followed by 3-4 years down near the bottom of the ladder. would take that in a heart beat.

it's when it gets to 10 years plus down the bottom that the frustration starts to build, just ask a lions supporter. i was quite content watching us play for 5-6 years after 2004 and basked in the previous unbelievable highs. not any more.

there are quite a few teams out there who haven't won a flag for 30+ years and 3 who have never won a flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For all their talk of "any team would love to have won these flags and be s**t for a bit" the Hawks fans are obviously hurting.

And why not. Following a s**t footy team is crap. Who the * cares if you won a flag even last year, the past is for old people, those in the moment want to be good now.

I know I didn't sit back feeling great for all the years post 2000 because I'd just seen the best individual season of all time. I cared far far more about the next game, and next flag, and winning it. And not winning it sucked.

And fact is Hawks at the moment, recent flags or otherwise, look ******* awful.

******* lol, during your 3peat what was consistently your most viewed and biggest thread on the Hawthorn board?

It was a thread on Essendon.

Thread on Essendon.

ESSENDON.

lolololol

How come your most viewed/replied thread was about Essendon saga? Lots of wasted energy spent on us too.
******* lol, during your 3peat what was consistently your most viewed and biggest thread on the Hawthorn board?

Thread on Essendon.

ESSENDON.

lolololol

The biggest Doping investigation the sport has seen deserved a well-attended thread.

For all their talk of "any team would love to have won these flags and be s**t for a bit" the Hawks fans are obviously hurting.

And why not. Following a s**t footy team is crap. Who the **** cares if you won a flag even last year, the past is for old people, those in the moment want to be good now.

I know I didn't sit back feeling great for all the years post 2000 because I'd just seen the best individual season of all time. I cared far far more about the next game, and next flag, and winning it. And not winning it sucked.

And fact is Hawks at the moment, recent flags or otherwise, look ******* awful.

Ofcourse it sucks but being shitty right now is a price to pay for being so successful. I'll pay that price any day of the week.

A lot of teams that suck unfortunately never had the opportunity to be successful. I consider myself very lucky that we at least have something to show for it.

Game is cyclical. We will suck for a bit and come back. We might or might not taste success. We will suck again and so forth.

The biggest Doping investigation the sport has seen deserved a well-attended thread.
not really, given there was an entire board dedicated to it. Where it could be, and was, discussed endlessly.

Yet on your own board, during your lauded 3peat, it was by far the biggest thread during that time.

To paraphrase the above poster, you'd think Hawthorn fans would be content with winning premierships and would have focused more of their energy on their own clubs successes. But no, Essendon are still buried so deeply in their psyche that they couldn't help themselves but to prioritise on their own board a circle jerk about Essendon.

Jade & Lance have been waiting for this (Hawks downfall) for a long time - let them bask in our shitness (as we have theirs for the last 5 years), I'd make the most of it too.

As supporters, our safety net was always our 3 peat.

Re list management - The choice of getting Tom & Jaeger for draft picks is a different list management decision to moving on Sam & Jordan. The latter looks a mistake, the former is too early to judge.

We have made some very good decisions in the past, but Clarko has probably pulled the wrong rip cord re above. He & the club are not immune to mistakes.

The club has bigger challenges than List Management at the moment.

A three-peat AND watching Essendon self destruct like no team before. If one could compare it using analogy..it would be like banging a supermodel on the fragile bonnet of your worst enemies Lamborghini Miura, and watching its million dollar panels crumble as you orgasm. To add insult to injury, in this example, said enemy is also the supermodels unsuspecting husband.

Really, any Hawks supporter who sits in the stands bemoaning the teams current performance is taking the piss and can consider themselves selfish, ungrateful, campaigners.

Last edited:
I wish collingwood had hawthorn's "problems" at the moment. I would just sit back and enjoy replays of the 4 recent flags while the rebuild takes place. Most clubs rebuild in modern footy without winning one, the Hawks have 4 in the bank. The fall this year was blatantly obvious to anyone who analysed 2016 with a clear head. They'll do their time in the cellar, and will return in due course as per the footy cycle . Better to bottom out than do a Syd or geel and hang around finals but know you are not a genuine chance of winning another flag

Thread on Essendon.

ESSENDON.

lolololol

Silly point, surely you understand that the Essendon saga went on for what? 4 years, 1 topic over 4 years.

A grand final thread or anything else isn't going to be as active as something which kept going on and on for so long with news trickling out over that period.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back