Review Hawthorn versus Sydney Swans, MCG, 7.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Lewis mitchell hodge top 3 possie winners on ground

Kennedy jack parker mcveigh malceski all 25 possies or less you would expect to be killed

They won by 10 points

It wont happen next time

Yeah you can add riolis 8 possies and token goal but so what

Lewis mitchell hodge top 3 possie winners on ground

Kennedy jack parker mcveigh malceski all 25 possies or less you would expect to be killed

They won by 10 points

It wont happen next time

Yeah you can add riolis 8 possies and token goal but so what

The one that got off the leash and cost us was Isaac Smith 18 disposals 3 goals! who the hell was on him?

Missed opportunity, but thankfully hasn't cost us top spot as long as we win our last 5 games.

We seem to have a habit of falling in a heap against the Hawks and letting them string 5-6 goals together every time we play them. We get 4-5 goals up and then stop.

Should have won. Didn't. Got to move on.

It's something I've remarked upon a few times. We just completely give up the centre square for 15-20 minutes. There's a few teams that's manage it, but Hawthorn are the best (or worst) at it.

Not sure if it's a setup or attitude thing, but it's annoying

Don't normally by into the umpire crap but that was a mark to Goodesy , lol awell
I just had another look and I'm not sure I agree. Could have gone either way.

However, as I stated on another thread, Gibson grabbing it and running it through for a rushed behind is very dubious IMO.

He runs like 5 meters from that pack, straight for the goal line. The first couple of meters he's getting clear of the pack, no problems with that, but once he's broken free, he's only got Parker on his tail, the whole field is open to his right side, and he keeps running straight for the line. Very dubious.

I know deliberate rushed behind is a bit like deliberate OOB, the umpire's basically saying in those 50/50 situations "I know what was running through your head, pal".

And I know the umps aren't supposed to keep a mental balance sheet of who's been hard done by, but jeez, coming straight on the heels of the Goodes non-payment, I reckon Gibson deserved to be pinged.

Would be interested to hear others' opinions if they have another look. If I'm wrong tell me to shut up (Hawks fans excepted.)

Well played Hawks. Thought the game was played more on their terms than ours over the course. Swans seemed to lack the full on intensity to stop the get out switch they have had in the past. Hard to do of course but the Swans have been better at it against the Hawks.

Both teams have room for improvement but i left the game thinking the Swans are right in this to match and surpass the Hawks. Few things didn't go our way but i never felt the Swans where pressuring as strongly as they could.

We lacked some pace in the backline and Smith and Laidler where caught out a few times. This can be covered. Lewis 3rd man up is nothing new but will give Longmire & co something to adapt. Rohan is coming along and his defensive side and reading of the play is really going to another level. Towers did some really good 2nd and 3rd efforts that keep you in the team. On the other hand Lloyd's 2nd and 3rd efforts have dropped off in recent weeks. Would like to see a bit of the desperation he showed in his early games. Hannebery was a big miss on last game.

Overall it showed we can go all the way this year and have plenty to work with and scope to improve. Bombers is the right game at the right time for the team to show they are going to go up a few more notches for the return bout against the Hawks.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a rugby tackle, you're familiar with those, yeah? Well, they're not allowed in AFL. My understanding was that it was a free to Hill, then when he handballed it, it was advantage and then Roughy goaled.
only it was never signalled or umpired like that, it was just play on...

It was a rugby tackle, you're familiar with those, yeah? Well, they're not allowed in AFL. My understanding was that it was a free to Hill, then when he handballed it, it was advantage and then Roughy goaled.

Afl use your understanding for all rules? Would explain a lot

Can we have Bruest back?

I think you have done pretty well out of us. No need to be greedy :p.

Kennedy_Rd2109_246a.jpg
1RS-20130525183025901200-300x0.jpg

We are in big shit if Grundy is injured! whats wrong with him?

What i meant was if he was injured we would be in deep shit. He didn't play the last quarter and I was worried. But Horse said it was only due to match ups. I think it was a mistake to take Reg off. We fell down in our defensive game from the 20 minute mark of the third

Those on here who bagged Towers after his debut against Carlton especially when he was kept in for tonight have no idea. Won an extremely important 1 on 1 on the Southern Wing tonight that resulted in a crucial and much needed goal then gave off in a heavy contest inside 50 to create another one. Ran well, worked hard and was composed in front of a big crowd in a big game against the best competition we are up against in winning the flag. Very encouraging 35-40 minutes for him all things considered.

Yes I thought Deano played very well when he came on. Took a very good contested mark and set the play up a couple of times. Took them on a bit too. He tackled hard for a turn over too. I just thought he was nervous last week. Some players have inauspicious beginnings and go on to play 200 games or more. Take brett Kirk, he was dropped twice before cementing his place in the side.

They cant afford to stay down, hopefully its the kick up the bum they deserve but its hard to believe that crap, when you're on a winning streak your confidence is sky high and believe you can beat anyone, lose a game, confidence is gone, feel vulnerable, drop another. Lets hope we dont

I don't think we have been playing that well for the last 4 games. We have just done enough to win.

Jettas disposal was pathetic, McVeigh looked scared the whole night, Parker was unable to be his tough self, Jack was just out of it, Kennedy tried but only got anywhere in the last quarter, an Pyke got his ass handed to him by Ancient Mcevoy. This game was lost in the midfield, an unfortunately the forward line could have, but didn't make up for it.

They tagged Parker out of the game. Blocked him from contests, they know how dangerous he is.

I know we were outplayed, and a lot of our blokes were off, but a couple of ref calls, namely HTB on Hill and Goodes non paid mark....... Oooof drives me mad!

I thought where the game changed was from a no call. Harry Cunningham got decked by Roughead from the front and someone else from behind. It was a high hit and should have been a free. This left us a man down and his opponent open. It wasn't paid and Hawks, with Harry writhing on the ground kicked a goal, changing the momentum.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back