Streaming [HBO] True Detective

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

I think a lot of times executive producer doesn't really mean much. After the success of True Detective they probably negotiated to keep their names in the credits simply for status or monetary benefits rather than any meaningful contribution to the actual show.

That's precisely what the EP credits are for. It's Pizzolatto's show, the others have no input anymore.

Maybe instead of death, it's the moment his mind finally gives up and the Alzheimer's take over (once the job is done).

The kids on the bikes with him on the porch with all the people he loves in his life, throwing to his proposal in the bar with that final framing that looks like they are both walking out into the light/heaven. Then the final shot of the ultimate tracker retreating into the jungle, letting his mind close down now the job is done.

I was disappointed with this show. There were some good moments and it was well acted but so much repetition and boring crap to get through - such as nearly every conversation between Hays and his wife. We were dudded a few times such as the tense moment when Hays got into Hoyt's car - which turned out to be nothing. And the truth of the events wasn't revealed gradually by good story telling. We get a ten minute scene where the guy with one eye tells us what happened. But maybe ten minutes was all it was worth because the actual events were underwhelming compared to what had been hinted. There was barely three episodes worth of plot in the whole show.

Even the twist at the end was lame. Old man Hays has some kind of hallucination where he talks to his deceased wife, then he goes to find Julie Purcell but when he gets there he forgets where he is.

Hays and West said to each other like they felt like hadn't got resolution. As a viewer of the show I felt the same.

Why did Hoyt warn Hays about other people looking for the Purcell kid when as far as I can work out the bloke with one eye was the only other person looking for her? Did I miss something regarding his intentions?

It was a veiled threat. He wasn't looking for her, but if the cops started searching with the aim of linking her disappearance to Hoyt, then he'd need to throw his own resources into finding her too, and making her disappear for good.

It was a veiled threat. He wasn't looking for her, but if the cops started searching with the aim of linking her disappearance to Hoyt, then he'd need to throw his own resources into finding her too, and making her disappear for good.
I guess there were that many veiled threats being tossed around that it was easy to miss one.

What a show, loved it. Yeah not as good as season 1 but what is. Emmy nominations incoming for sure, as good as Ali was I thought Dorf was right there with him.

Re: the ending, I would have been totally satisfied with the last shot being the zoom into his eye on the porch, but

Maybe instead of death, it's the moment his mind finally gives up and the Alzheimer's take over (once the job is done).

The kids on the bikes with him on the porch with all the people he loves in his life, throwing to his proposal in the bar with that final framing that looks like they are both walking out into the light/heaven. Then the final shot of the ultimate tracker retreating into the jungle, letting his mind close down now the job is done.

this is a very cool take as well, like it.

One area where I reckon it does have the first season covered - I didn't expect it to be as poignant as it was about a whole range of topics - marriage, family, friendship, growing old. 'Life' in general I guess.

What a show, loved it. Yeah not as good as season 1 but what is. Emmy nominations incoming for sure, as good as Ali was I thought Dorf was right there with him.

Re: the ending, I would have been totally satisfied with the last shot being the zoom into his eye on the porch, but

this is a very cool take as well, like it.

One area where I reckon it does have the first season covered - I didn't expect it to be as poignant as it was about a whole range of topics - marriage, family, friendship, growing old. 'Life' in general I guess.
"Yeah not as good as season 1 but what is."

Simpsons, Seinfeld, breaking bad, buffy, game of thrones, the wire. Pretty much all the great shows had vastly superior second and third seasons compared to their first which were just finding their feet.

Well I'm obviously in the minority here, but I felt really disappointed with that final episode. I've really enjoyed this season and was loving the slow paced exploration of the relationship between the two detectives and the complicated enmeshed relationship between Hayes and Amelia and both of their careers.

I had high expectations especially after the last couple of episodes had really ramped up the tension ... but we just got the one eyed man telling us everything? And that's it? Then we (the audience) get confirmation that Julie is still alive, but again, that's it?

Also, did anyone else think the tone of this episode was completely different (and jarringly so) from the rest of the season? The music was D-grade horror-esque, the dialog was banally cliched and there was more cinematography "tricks" than in a 2nd year art school short film.

Bizarre.

West and Hays probably should've shot that one eyed man and buried him in the woods like they did with that ex cop. He deserved it.

One thing I don't get is when Hoyt and Hays were talking Hoyt alluded to the fact that he should stop looking for the girl otherwise 'they won't stop' and 'they don't negotiate'. Who are they? Kinda implies there are people high up looking for her.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Yeah not as good as season 1 but what is."

Simpsons, Seinfeld, breaking bad, buffy, game of thrones, the wire. Pretty much all the great shows had vastly superior second and third seasons compared to their first which were just finding their feet.

I meant what on TV lately is as good as TD season 1, as opposed to comparing subsequent seasons of the same show.

I had high expectations especially after the last couple of episodes had really ramped up the tension ... but we just got the one eyed man telling us everything? And that's it? Then we (the audience) get confirmation that Julie is still alive, but again, that's it?

Also, did anyone else think the tone of this episode was completely different (and jarringly so) from the rest of the season? The music was D-grade horror-esque, the dialog was banally cliched and there was more cinematography "tricks" than in a 2nd year art school short film.

Bizarre.

Didn't mind it, I thought that was kinda the point - life very rarely has completely satisfying conclusions. And as I mentioned before, I think this season was very much about 'life' in a specific way that season 1 wasn't. They'd left it so long, what could meaningfully be done about it anyway? Everyone involved was dead. The regret they both felt was a pretty big part of the final episode, the 'resolution' of sorts that we got played into that well I thought.

I did notice some of the cinematogrpahy stuff (timeline changes in the same shot, their younger selves reflected in the mirror) but it didn't really break anything for me. Only time the music stood out for me was when they were driving up to the abandoned Hoyt estate, and yeah that was a bit on the nose maybe. Didn't notice any dialogue weirdness, thought it was pretty much in line with other eps.

West and Hays probably should've shot that one eyed man and buried him in the woods like they did with that ex cop. He deserved it.

He did deserve it, but it was also what he wanted. Greater punishment to let him continue living with it, or make him end it himself.

Well I'm obviously in the minority here, but I felt really disappointed with that final episode. I've really enjoyed this season and was loving the slow paced exploration of the relationship between the two detectives and the complicated enmeshed relationship between Hayes and Amelia and both of their careers.

Bizarre.

I'm with you.

Didn't mind it, I thought that was kinda the point - life very rarely has completely satisfying conclusions. And as I mentioned before, I think this season was very much about 'life' in a specific way that season 1 wasn't. They'd left it so long, what could meaningfully be done about it anyway? Everyone involved was dead. The regret they both felt was a pretty big part of the final episode, the 'resolution' of sorts that we got played into that well I thought.
Yeah, I understand what you mean. It would've been wrong to expect everything tied up in a bow 35 years after the original incident had occurred. But the thing is they DID tie most things up in a bow, but did it in an incredibly boring way i.e. Mr June to simply recite the story. It was incredibly anticlimactic. The reveal that Julie was still alive was done much better and although it was frustrating that he got to the house and no further, I appreciated that was exactly what they were trying to do.

Still, the season as a whole was very good and crapped all over the abomination that was season 2.

Yeah, I understand what you mean. It would've been wrong to expect everything tied up in a bow 35 years after the original incident had occurred. But the thing is they DID tie most things up in a bow, but did it in an incredibly boring way i.e. Mr June to simply recite the story. It was incredibly anticlimactic. The reveal that Julie was still alive was done much better and although it was frustrating that he got to the house and no further, I appreciated that was exactly what they were trying to do.

Still, the season as a whole was very good and crapped all over the abomination that was season 2.

He remembered at the very end why he went there and knew who she was before his son came. You could see the look of realisation on his face as they stood there.

Really enjoyed this.

The very final shot of Hays back in the jungle was poignant. I think it was included as a reminder that after all was said and done, he was still indeed a veteran from a brutal war, and this would have affected his thinking/mindset/decision making and possibly actually caused his Alzheimers.

I understand with the angle they went with in the end, and I see hte value in it as a creative endeavour and a change of form from traditional detective series, including the previous iterations of this season. Much like I can appreciate a piece of classical music, i appreciate the conclusion to True Detective, but much how I would not listen to classical music on the train on the way to work I would have prefered a more exciting, more confrontational, more mysterious conclusion than what was ultimately borne out.

The story had enough nuggets in it. Could have edited episodes 1-7 down into about 5 episodes and then pursued a gang-busting conclusion involving a broader conspiracy of child abduction, pagan sacrafice, secret cults and sacrifice in the last three episodes. while firmly swimming in the pool of season 1, such an ending would have been more enjoyable to the majority of viewers.

Oh well, have to seriously question whether season 4 will be a must-watch or a binge when the season is over after this finale.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back