Competitions Health and fitness

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone swim regularlyšŸ„²

Iā€™m going swimming at MSAC tomorrow and Iā€™m lowkey scared Iā€™m too slow for the slow lane and it will be full because of the booking availability. Itā€™s only 25m

my s&c coach hasnā€™t put any swimming for me to do so idk do I just swim laps or do I split them up? I used to swim ages ago in primary school, raced a couple of times and did a triathlon but I canā€™t remember jack shi
I swim (slowly). You can never be too slow for the slow lane.
Personally I just do 20 x 50m laps. People who are right in to it do all sorts of weird s**t with kickboards and straps around their ankles and stuff.
If you haven't swum for a while you'll probably be gasping after 100m but it doesn't take long to get in the rhythm of it. Just stop for a breather as you need to.

I swim (slowly). You can never be too slow for the slow lane.
Personally I just do 20 x 50m laps. People who are right in to it do all sorts of weird sh*t with kickboards and straps around their ankles and stuff.
If you haven't swum for a while you'll probably be gasping after 100m but it doesn't take long to get in the rhythm of it. Just stop for a breather as you need to.
Okay thanks CM, do you always do freestyle? My preferred is breast stroke

Does anyone swim regularlyšŸ„²

Iā€™m going swimming at MSAC tomorrow and Iā€™m lowkey scared Iā€™m too slow for the slow lane and it will be full because of the booking availability. Itā€™s only 25m

my s&c coach hasnā€™t put any swimming for me to do so idk do I just swim laps or do I split them up? I used to swim ages ago in primary school, raced a couple of times and did a triathlon but I canā€™t remember jack shi
Meh. No such thing as too slow for the slow lane. There'll probably be people doing kicking drills or deep water running in it. I'm a rubbish swimmer but have dragged myself to the pool quite a bit to train for tris (in the past). Do slow distance until you get your confidence. I stick to freestyle. Work out far you want to go, divide it into a few blocks and try not to stop til the end of a block. If you go enough to get some form happening then you could set yourself some intervals or alternate between faster and slower laps, etc.

I canā€™t win :(

swimming was all good, but I must say my lungs are s**t lmao anyways Iā€™m swimming to the start in freestyle then one kick I just feel this soreness in my ankle rip.

So I jumped out and went straight to the recovery Centre where it was literally all old people lol accept for the life guard and I. I did some contrast therapy but itā€™s currently sore.

Eyyy 5km tonight without a break -- the first time I've been able to manage it since about May. The downside? It was a 5:45/km pace. But I'm giving myself a pass for that because i was running into a campaigner of a headwind half the time and it was leg day yesterday :grin:

Still, one small milestone crossed off on the way to where I want to be. I actually had planned to get only get to 3km this time before stopping but for there and thought * it, i may as well just keep going. So the last k was rooouuuugghhh

I canā€™t win :(

swimming was all good, but I must say my lungs are sh*t lmao anyways Iā€™m swimming to the start in freestyle then one kick I just feel this soreness in my ankle rip.

So I jumped out and went straight to the recovery Centre where it was literally all old people lol accept for the life guard and I. I did some contrast therapy but itā€™s currently sore.
Hmm, although I swim I have terrible technique (haven't had a lesson since I was about 7 years old). However, I do know that you're really just kicking your legs to keep them level - all the propulsion comes from your arms. Shouldn't really be injuring your ankle I think. But did you mention rolling your ankle at training earlier?

Eyyy 5km tonight without a break -- the first time I've been able to manage it since about May. The downside? It was a 5:45/km pace. But I'm giving myself a pass for that because i was running into a campaigner of a headwind half the time and it was leg day yesterday :grin:

Still, one small milestone crossed off on the way to where I want to be. I actually had planned to get only get to 3km this time before stopping but for there and thought fu** it, i may as well just keep going. So the last k was rooouuuugghhh
Good s**t! Absolutely give yourself a pass! Celebrate doing 5km non-stop, worry about pace later.

Hmm, although I swim I have terrible technique (haven't had a lesson since I was about 7 years old). However, I do know that you're really just kicking your legs to keep them level - all the propulsion comes from your arms. Shouldn't really be injuring your ankle I think. But did you mention rolling your ankle at training earlier?
I was doing a little sprint and because of the dorsiflexion I felt a slight pull in the ligament. Yeah so basically I canā€™t run for 2 weeks so they set me a little swimming lesson. When I felt the little pull I just had to stop and went straight into contrast therapy

I was doing a little sprint and because of the dorsiflexion I felt a slight pull in the ligament. Yeah so basically I canā€™t run for 2 weeks so they set me a little swimming lesson. When I felt the little pull I just had to stop and went straight into contrast therapy
Was it after kicking off the wall?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good sh*t! Absolutely give yourself a pass! Celebrate doing 5km non-stop, worry about pace later.
Haha yeah, I know that last time I went through this it was a huge milestone. But i reckon I felt more cooked after this than when I was doing 10k runs at the start of the year.

Anyone here ever suffered from "drop foot"?
After losing 12 kilos at the start of the last lockdown I did something to my lower leg and had to stop jogging, which I'd slowly built up to 5km a couple of times a week. So I tried to keep up a walking routine but even then after 5 minutes of walking my foot would just slap on the ground, I had no control at all and it was slow and uncomfortable.
Turns out I've damaged a nerve in my leg and it's commonly associated with rapid weight loss. Who f'n knew?
It's been a couple of months now and the nerve is slowly healing but it's a weird and uncomfortable feeling. I did a small walk a couple of days ago and it took a bit longer to lose control. An ankle brace has helped so I'll try to ramp it up.
Frustrating af though, after years of ill-discipline to be restricted just as momentum and motivation were peaking.
Thanks to intermittent fasting and (mostly) better food choices I've managed to keep the weight at the same level, so hopefully once the leg heals fully I can get rid of the remaining wobbly bits. Won't be where I wanted to be at 50, but will probably be in as good a shape as I have been in ages.
This Fred is helping me stay motivated. Some of you guys are bloody machines! Please keep sharing!

No just kicking
probably a bit off topic but you might get a bit more out of the swimming by moving your legs vs your feet at the ankles when you kick.
Hopefully that makes sense.

probably a bit off topic but you might get a bit more out of the swimming by moving your legs vs your feet at the ankles when you kick.
Hopefully that makes sense.
My form waist down is good like my legs are my strong point of my whole swim, upper body wise and oxygen intake is what I struggled with I think I learned very 3 strokes is when you breathe. I just forgot because I havenā€™t strengthened the synapses and neural pathways for 5+ Years.

I was definitely flutter kicking to get to the end because when you go through the motion you start to point your toe a bit more thatā€™s when I probably went out of my range of motion and felt the tug. Because I donā€™t have the same ROM in both ankles

Last edited:
Had a weights session this arvo after picking up my squat rack. Starting with some big compound movements til I get to a point where I'm feeling strong again.

My quads have absolutely blown up with all the running (haven't properly lifted weights since the knee reco) so I'm substituting squats for Romanian deadlifts. I don't fit into pants anymore and my wife is making fun of me. My quads and lats have always been my dominant muscles but this is ridiculous.

Did 5x5 for each exercise:

* Bench press @ 60kg
* Deadlifts @ 100kg
* Romanian deadlifts @ 70kg
* Bent over row @ 60kg
* Military press @ 40kg

Will aim for 5-10% improvement each week.

l've been looking at Fat Burning/ Weight loss suppliments to try and help with me losing a bit of wieght around my gut . With everything that is out there it can be a bit confusing. Can anyone on here recommend a product l could try that has help them achieved results...l eat reasonably healthy yet l cant seem to shift the fat...l'm doing strength training 4 days a week for an hour a day and then 1/2 hour of cardio as well...Thanks

l've been looking at Fat Burning/ Weight loss suppliments to try and help with me losing a bit of wieght around my gut . With everything that is out there it can be a bit confusing. Can anyone on here recommend a product l could try that has help them achieved results...l eat reasonably healthy yet l cant seem to shift the fat...l'm doing strength training 4 days a week for an hour a day and then 1/2 hour of cardio as well...Thanks
Doctor had me do a lot of targeted fat burning exercises to help loosen up the stomach fat. Its not that you're doing the wrong thing but the fat around that area gets almost 'stuck' and wont burn off as easily.

Calories in vs calories out mate, unfortunately it's that simple. Nothing that will help you significantly lose any fat is legal.

For a lot of blokes the last place we lose fat is our gut. Mine is actually the chest, and I trained with a few lucky bastards who stored all the junk in their trunk.

Not sure about the targeted diet stuff, but I found a healthy mix of cardio, core and oblique work on top of your normal strength training works for me. I just do interval and recovery running at the start of my session to keep the burn going.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back