Competitions Health and fitness

Remove this Banner Ad

4 weeks into my weight loss program.

Weight down from 114.6 to 107.2kgs - loss of 7.4kg
Gut down from 127cms to 114cms - loss of 13cms

That includes a week where I spent most of the time at Monash Childrens Hospital with a sick child thankfully she’s fine but there was no way I could stick to my diet regimen.

I’m starting to feel the benefits and clothes are fitting much better or I’m able to wear clothes I haven’t fitted into for ages.

First goal 100kgs before Christmas.
Plenty of exercise getting from wherever your have to park to the Childrens'. It's a PITA there atm.

I guess the slower the original was the easier it will be!
First ever 2k was 5:00 per km

Second one (extremely unfit) 5:35 per km. I do that pace for fun now lol

I’m aiming 4:30 pace 😳😳😳 idk if I could hit it but you never know

get that first km knocked out in 4:30 then just hang on as long as you can in the 2nd km, gives yourself a chance then, may mean a 🤮 though. And you’ll know what a 4:30 feels like.

Last edited:
get that first km knocked out in 4:30 then just hang on as long as you can in the 2nd km, gives yourself a chance then, may mean a 🤮 though. And you’ll know what a 4:30 feels like it.
I really need to do a proper proper warmup.

I did my fartlek on tues and that’s the session I didn’t focus on my pace once, the guy just told me to do a strong pace which worked out to be around 5:00. So I recon I could get very close.

4:30 is 270 seconds per km or 27 seconds per 100m.

Go to an athletic track and run 100m in 27 seconds (or a 400m in 1.48).

That's what you need to be able to do. (ie the pace you need to keep up.)

Years ago i tried to run an 800m in two minutes. One of the things I used to do, just to get a feel for what It depends what you're capable of now. I was doing as much as anything, was to run two 400s in a minute and drop the recovery time between them as much as I could. I could do it with a three - four minute recovery when I was training, basically a slow recovery 400 in between anyway. In a couple of months I could do it with a minutes break and soon after got the time for 800m on a track. Was close to spewing tho.

Its completely different in many ways but as a way to guage your improvement.

You could try running 100 in 27 seconds, jogging 100, running 27 seconds again for as long as you can, ideally 9 minutes of faster 100ms. Once you get two outside 27 seconds in a row or one outside 30 you're done tho. But 2km is also 5 laps of a 400m track. You'd need to do each lap in 1:48/108 seconds to average 4:30/km.

So you can apply the same process to those distances. Probably more appropriate. You can do it once you've done it at 100m once or twice, or start at 400m if you're up to it.

Every two or three months you can repeat it and measure your progress. Its more a way of getting feedback on your progress rather than a training technique but it does get your body (and more importantly your mind) used to performing at the required intensity for longer and longer periods.

4:30 is 270 seconds per km or 27 seconds per 100m.

Go to an athletic track and run 100m in 27 seconds (or a 400m in 1.48).

That's what you need to be able to do. (ie the pace you need to keep up.)

Years ago i tried to run an 800m in two minutes. One of the things I used to do, just to get a feel for what It depends what you're capable of now. I was doing as much as anything, was to run two 400s in a minute and drop the recovery time between them as much as I could. I could do it with a three - four minute recovery when I was training, basically a slow recovery 400 in between anyway. In a couple of months I could do it with a minutes break and soon after got the time for 800m on a track. Was close to spewing tho.

Its completely different in many ways but as a way to guage your improvement.

You could try running 100 in 27 seconds, jogging 100, running 27 seconds again for as long as you can, ideally 9 minutes of faster 100ms. Once you get two outside 27 seconds in a row or one outside 30 you're done tho. But 2km is also 5 laps of a 400m track. You'd need to do each lap in 1:48/108 seconds to average 4:30/km.

So you can apply the same process to those distances. Probably more appropriate. You can do it once you've done it at 100m once or twice, or start at 400m if you're up to it.

Every two or three months you can repeat it and measure your progress. Its more a way of getting feedback on your progress rather than a training technique but it does get your body (and more importantly your mind) used to performing at the required intensity for longer and longer periods.
Thanks ferbs!!

My route im doing on is the loop I always run it’s about a 1.3ks around so 2 laps sounds WAY more appealing than 5 laps 😜

I have in recent training anyways I’ve been running only 1 min intervals at that pace which is about just over 200m 3EC4461C-2AC8-42EB-BAA8-0800897FEC77.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ligma This is a pretty standard training method to reach a time goal. Run intervals at your desired pace (say 5 x 1km if it's for a 5k) and gradually bring the recovery time down. I'd probably try 5 x 400m to get to a 2k time. If you're already doing 4:30s in your intervals you know what the pace feels like.I reckon you'll be able to do it. Might also want to try shorter intervals at 4:20s or similar.

I'm also a fan of progression runs for getting your heading around what various paces feel like. If you were at a 400m track you could do your first lap at 5:15 - 30ks, then 5:00, 4:45, 4:30 and something below 4:30s for the last one. They aren't necessarily a very hard session give you a bit of confidence that you can hold a pace.

Good stuff.
Not naturally athletically gifted, I mean maybe when I was a child I was rapid fast, I should have done athletics.
Ligma This is a pretty standard training method to reach a time goal. Run intervals at your desired pace (say 5 x 1km if it's for a 5k) and gradually bring the recovery time down. I'd probably try 5 x 400m to get to a 2k time. If you're already doing 4:30s in your intervals you know what the pace feels like.I reckon you'll be able to do it. Might also want to try shorter intervals at 4:20s or similar.

I'm also a fan of progression runs for getting your heading around what various paces feel like. If you were at a 400m track you could do your first lap at 5:15 - 30ks, then 5:00, 4:45, 4:30 and something below 4:30s for the last one. They aren't necessarily a very hard session give you a bit of confidence that you can hold a pace.
Yes🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼 but I haven’t been focusing on my TT time, I just wanna see what it would be after a solid 8 week block of training.

I’ve never done an official 2km TT but I reckon if I get picked in the VFLW squad (still waiting for the email) I’m 95% sure they’ll be doing one.

Hands up if you just smashed ur PB🙋🏽‍♀️🙋🏽‍♀️🙋🏽‍♀️🙋🏽‍♀️🙋🏽‍♀️🙋🏽‍♀️

Didn’t get the 4:30 pace but that’s my next goal. FD960ADF-891F-4791-9CFA-C35578FB1C6B.jpeg
Ughhhhh something happened with my watch at the end so it counted an extra 12 seconds

1CB194A2-C4AD-441C-A41D-1E2C05A89534.jpeg
So my final time is 9:24 😛

I was working at South Wharf today, couldn't resist sticking my head in the Nike store, picked up a pair of Vaporfly Next% 2s for $162! At that price, I had to see what all the fuss is about!!
We never heard back about how you've gone with these? Does that mean you didn't rate them?

I ordered the red ones Jonnoo alerted us to. I have high expectations and I can't wait to do a long run comparison against the Alphaflys.

On that note... I have a question for those of you who run marathons.

I'm very committed to trying to go sub3 in my first marathon.

I'm not in the middle of a specific training plan atm and the earliest the next mara I want to do would be Canberra in April.

I've basically just been trying to keep up the kms over the past few weeks - around 60km, give or take.

There's usually 5-6 days of running that consists of:
  • a 25-30km long run,
  • usually an interval run (which I intend to keep making more challenging)
  • often a threshold run
  • easy runs of whatever length I have time to do

Should I be starting a training plan with incrementally increasing kms now?

Or should I just hang around the 60km weekly mark until I'm a few months out?

Is there a sweet spot for keeping my weekly kms up at the right distance that my fitness is perfect for entering a training cycle when the time comes, but I won't burn myself out?

I ask this because balancing my sub3 fixation against life, work and family is an issue. While WFH means I can get more kms in than I used to, and I think my family could tolerate me running like a maniac for a month or so in the leadup to a big event, I'm not sure how sustainable it would be for me to crack say 100+km on an ongoing basis.

Last edited:
Don't have the pics but smashed my 2km PB twice in two days!!

Firstly i don't remember my PB beforehand, but it was above 9, pretty well above tbh.

Did my first one in a while in the 2nd group out of 3 at the start of footy pre season and my time was:

8 minutes 31 seconds.

Then did another one and got:

8 minutes 17 seconds.

Hoping sub 8 comes sooner rather than later, feel like i could've went harder earlier, my last lap was ******* quick both times.

We never heard back about how you've gone with these? Does that mean you didn't rate them?

I ordered the red ones Jonnoo alerted us to. I have high expectations and I can't wait to do a long run comparison against the Alphaflys.
I haven't tried them yet, I want to give them a crack when I'm doing a speed/tempo session of some sort, but the way the weather has been the last few weeks, every time I have one of those on the calendar, I'm too worried about running through mud and puddles to wear my shiny new shoes and just wear my old Hoka Carbon Rockets!

On that note... I have a question for those of you who run marathons.

I'm very committed to trying to go sub3 in my first marathon.

I'm not in the middle of a specific training plan atm and the earliest the next mara I want to do would be Canberra in April.

I've basically just been trying to keep up the kms over the past few weeks - around 60km, give or take.

There's usually 5-6 days of running that consists of:
  • a 25-30km long run,
  • usually an interval run (which I intend to keep making more challenging)
  • often a threshold run
  • easy runs of whatever length I have time to do

Should I be starting a training plan with incrementally increasing kms now?

Or should I just hang around the 60km weekly mark until I'm a few months out?

Is there a sweet spot for keeping my weekly kms up at the right distance that my fitness is perfect for entering a training cycle when the time comes, but I won't burn myself out?

I ask this because balancing my sub3 fixation against life, work and family is an issue. While WFH means I can get more kms in than I used to, and I think my family could tolerate me running like a maniac for a month or so in the leadup to a big event, I'm not sure how sustainable it would be for me to crack say 100+km on an ongoing basis.
Sub 3 is my major running goal as well. It is a great goal for your first marathon! Not having got there myself, I'm probably not the best to be offering advice as to how to train for it! But, what you are doing seems to my non-expert eye, to look like a pretty solid plan.

I don't think there is a magic number of kms you need to be doing each week, different totals work for different runners. I think it is about enough speed/tempo work to build the strength in the legs for the speed needed and enough time on feet with easy/long runs to build the aerobic engine to make it last 42.2kms.

It may be worth reading over a few plans and when you have a date locked in for the marathon, work backwards and time the build of your intervals and long runs to have you peaking at the right time.

Also, as I've learned the hard way, it can be prudent to add a recovery week once in every four or so. My physio has given me a load management formula, based on average weekly distance for the previous four weeks.. for three weeks add 20 percent of that weekly average and then on the fourth week reduce it by 20 percent, then start again.

I'm currently on week 6 of an 18 week plan for a marathon in Feb, the build and recovery is matching quite well with the physio advice, so hopefully it keeps me in one piece!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back