Help Get 7 Sport To Broadcast in Full HD

Remove this Banner Ad

Wont happen. Alot of people dont want to mess around with all kinds of apps and passes and just want it all on one remote and are happy to pay for it.
Have you ever heard of Apple TV or Chromecast?

So easy my technophobic parents can watch netflix and other things with one remote.

It will happen.

Latest IPTV boxes also have voice recognition to fire things up.

IPTV will leave Foxtel a distant memory.

Have you ever heard of Apple TV or Chromecast?

So easy my technophobic parents can watch netflix and other things with one remote.

It will happen.

Latest IPTV boxes also have voice recognition to fire things up.

IPTV will leave Foxtel a distant memory.

Yep and im not interested. Im not poor or a tightass and would rather just have it all done for me.

Yep and im not interested. Im not poor or a tightass and would rather just have it all done for me.
Just because you are happy to be stuck with old tech doesn't mean that the rest of the world is.

The watch what you want when you want model is here and the old world of pay TV is crumbling.

Just because you are happy to be stuck with old tech doesn't mean that the rest of the world is.

The watch what you want when you want model is here and the old world of pay TV is crumbling.
but don't we need like a good broadband/wireless distribution system in this country for it to work?

Finally, Channel 7. I can't believe it took this long. The fact channel 70 will be 7HD, the channel for footy in VIC and SA, but will show the 7mate broadcast in NSW, QLD and WA during AFL matches so they're still HD is great. But makes it look even more insane that a simulcast wasn't already in place, since those states have had HD footy for ages.

but don't we need like a good broadband/wireless distribution system in this country for it to work?
A lot of adsl is capable of full HD streaming (yes a lot isn't) but for all its faults the nbn roll-out is happening with a lot more homes coming online in the next few years.

One just has to look at the uptake of netflix in Australia top see the demand for iptv streaming.

Great news and well overdue, but I can't help but think its a bit of a weird arrangement.

Only Melbourne and Adelaide are getting the primary 7 channel in HD, while Sydney, Brisbane and Perth will continue getting 7mate in HD. Now, this is great for footy fans as it means wherever you are in the country (or the 5 major metro markets, anyway) you can see the footy in HD.

BUT, this means that only Melbourne and Adelaide can see any other "premium" content that is on 7 in HD. They may not be as vocal, but I'd say there is plenty of people who want to see their favourite drama programs and other "event TV" in HD, but if you're in Syd/Bris/Perth you miss out on that. Seems strange that they would assign their channels purely based on the footy.

Still, a step in the right direction and for footy fans its been a long time coming!

Does anyone know how they port their commentary through 5.1. Do they only use the centre speaker, i.e. if i no longer want to listen to BT can i just disconnect the centre speaker?

Foxtel subscriptions are up 9% in the last year. Hardly crumbling.

It's not old tech either it's just packaged pay Tv I can watch virtually anything on demand, record, pause slow mo, on any device I choose, anywhere in Aus.

If you watch 1 or 2 sports fine but why would I want a seperate deal and bill for the 7-8 sports across 15 odd competitions I watch when I can pay $48 a mth ?

Its not so much the technology but the acquisition of rights, in particular for sports from all kinds of sources from all over the world that is taken out of your hands and put in one remote.

For example how will i watch England and Aus cricket matches in this new foxtel-less world ?

Last edited:
Foxtel subscriptions are up 9% in the last year. Hardly crumbling.

It's not old tech either it's just packaged pay Tv I can watch virtually anything on demand, record, pause slow mo, on any device I choose, anywhere in Aus.

If you watch 1 or 2 sports fine but why would I want a seperate deal and bill for the 7-8 sports across 15 odd competitions I watch when I can pay $48 a mth ?

Its not so much the technology but the acquisition of rights, in particular for sports from all kinds of sources from all over the world that is taken out of your hands and put in one remote.

For example how will i watch England and Aus cricket matches in this new foxtel-less world ?
I hope you realise those figures also include Stan subscriptions and a 12.7% drop in profits.

There's quite a bit of devil in the detail.

And don't forget that Telstra are looking to offload their stake in Foxtel - plans for an IPO in 2017 are underway once a merger between Foxtel and Foxsports has been bedded down.

Telstra has seen the writing on the wall...

Mate you don't seem like a stranger to these discussions. I think you know as well as I do that, somewhere, there is this magical fantasy realm where (for example)
- the AFL doesn't need $350m/yr for tv rights, they can just offer it digitally through their own platform and continue supporting an 18-team comp.
- sporting organizations find expensive production equipment on the side of a road
- on air talent and off air crew work for free
- we can all stream at 100mb/s, and kids under 5 - your future players, supporters, and sponsors targets - all have the knowledge and access to watch it.

And don't forget that, in this fantasy realm, you can buy the AFL league pass for under $100/yr. And NRL for under $80/yr. And A-League for under $50/yr.

Which is how people manage to watch AFL, cricket, NRL, different football leagues & tournies, V8s, F1s et al for less than the $50/m that Foxtel costs.

This "terrestrial tv is on the way out" is bullshit. I imagine people said similar things about radio 50 years ago, and it's still here. For as long as we have community/public service announcements, critical news and old people - and for as long as people want/expect to watch sport - we will have traditional television.

Last edited:
I'm going to vent my frustration here. The good news is 7 is finally going to broadcast in HD. Win yes? well not for everybody. 7 will multicast in HD on 7HD, which again is great after being in the dark so long. However i live in rural victoria 2 and a half hours outside of Melbourne, and guess what we don't have 7HD as an available channel here! So while it is a win us rural supporters don't get it in HD yet! So originally i was excited for the news, but now it's lost on me because seeing how i don't live on Melbourne i'm still out in the dark

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm going to vent my frustration here. The good news is 7 is finally going to broadcast in HD. Win yes? well not for everybody. 7 will multicast in HD on 7HD, which again is great after being in the dark so long. However i live in rural victoria 2 and a half hours outside of Melbourne, and guess what we don't have 7HD as an available channel here! So while it is a win us rural supporters don't get it in HD yet! So originally i was excited for the news, but now it's lost on me because seeing how i don't live on Melbourne i'm still out in the dark

Have 9 and 10 got their HD channels where you are yet?

Have 9 and 10 got their HD channels where you are yet?
Nine has a multicast channel in HD, but only Nine not Go! or Gem. 10 Does not have any. ABC news 24 is 720p and SBS HD is in HD but only those channels for them too. 7Mate is the only 7 channel in HD

So basically it's all over the place

Nine has a multicast channel in HD, but only Nine not Go! or Gem. 10 Does not have any. ABC news 24 is 720p and SBS HD is in HD but only those channels for them too. 7Mate is the only 7 channel in HD

So basically it's all over the place

You're actually not that far removed from what metro is.

Each network only has one HD channel, so you won't get Go/Gem/Life in HD. Its the same in metro markets.

We do have TenHD though, so looks like they've dropped the ball there for regional viewers. Maybe they're waiting for the whole Win/SC switcheroo?

7mate used to be HD in metro, but thats been relegated to SD with the introduction of 7HD. I'm no techie, but you'd think it should be fairly easy to just switch it in regional areas too.

So essentially:

9, ABC and SBS you're on par with metro.

7 you are still on the old metro setup.

10 are screwing you with no HD channel at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back