High Performance Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The partnership with Latrobe Uni might be a solid opportunity for the club in coming years, opens a pathway for the Dux student to enter the industry, allows the club new thought/energy in the sports science/rehab areas.

Last edited:

If Carlton isn't asking the hard questions to fitness staff - I would be surprised. The player preparation and maintenance side of the football equation at Carlton has been abysmal for years.
club is taking a long time to put back together

SOURCE: ALL THE KING'S HORSES & ALL THE KING'S MEN

Dunny ... dart ..at the same time if its night game ..kill 2 birds with..
Lighting a match in a methane rich environment?

Lucky it is only two birds dead.

I would be asking how much pilates each player is doing. Pilates prevents injuries. Simmo does a heavy pilates program and he rarely gets injured.
To be clear, the club aren't amateurs, they're just apparently not up to scratch at the world-class level that is required for a game as physically demanding as professional Aussie Rules.

Last edited:
club is taking a long time to put back together

SOURCE: ALL THE KING'S HORSES & ALL THE KING'S MEN

We need that medical team that put Robocop back together ......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does high performance include player development? If so, another area of focus for the club.

Too many players not able to sustain a consistent improvement curve. In some part, this has to do with Northern Blues not becoming the best set-up for players to progress and prepare for AFL footy

This needs to be addressed

Considering the amount of teenagers we play each week it is hardly surprising our distance averages are low, not worried in the slightest.

If our top performers were far behind the league leaders then I would be worried as this sets a poor example for our kids but I don't think we need to worry about that with Ed and Kerridge in the team.

This data is quite limited as particular match roles will influence the results, I'd pay closer attention to pre-season running tests, not to say it is without benefit having this information here.

The top speed is trickier to measure because this is also affected by match roles, for example a player such as Scully who plays on the wing regularly makes straight line runs up the ground, where as a forward pocket (non-leading, crumbing type) will almost never be able to run in a straight line long enough to get to top speed.

It is interesting to see though.

Considering the amount of teenagers we play each week it is hardly surprising our distance averages are low, not worried in the slightest.

If our top performers were far behind the league leaders then I would be worried as this sets a poor example for our kids but I don't think we need to worry about that with Ed and Kerridge in the team.

This data is quite limited as particular match roles will influence the results, I'd pay closer attention to pre-season running tests, not to say it is without benefit having this information here.

The top speed is trickier to measure because this is also affected by match roles, for example a player such as Scully who plays on the wing regularly makes straight line runs up the ground, where as a forward pocket (non-leading, crumbing type) will almost never be able to run in a straight line long enough to get to top speed.

Yes, straight line speed is almost irrelevant. Speed in the first 10 metres is what really matters as that's what gets you out of congestion and into the clear, so to speak. Very rarely is one able to run 30 metres at top speed so it doesn't mean all that much imo. It's handy but not a deal breaker.

Chris Judd before he came to Carlton was a perfect example of this; I don't think his top speed would've been elite, but he would've been pretty close to the fastest in the AFL over 5-10 metres. No-one has been able to burst out of a pack like him. Dow seems to have some of that in him, he doesn't seem overly fast in the clear but has a good burst away from congestion.

Last edited:
Yes, straight line speed is almost irrelevant. Speed in the first 10 metres is what really matters as that's what gets you out of congestion and into the clear, so to speak. Very rarely is one able to run 30 metres at top speed so it doesn't mean all that much imo. It's handy but not a deal breaker.

Chris Judd before he came to Carlton was a perfect example of this; I don't think his top speed would've been elite, but he would've been pretty close to the fastest in the AFL over 5-10 metres. No-one has been able to burst out of a pack like him. Dow seems to have some of that in him, he doesn't seem overly fast in the clear but has a good burst away from congestion.
He was electric as an Eagle, top speed would have been up there I think.

He also had elite agility and balance so he could turn without losing to much speed.

All around athlete.

He was electric as an Eagle, top speed would have been up there I think.

He also had elite agility and balance so he could turn without losing to much speed.

All around athlete.
Yeah after I posted I did think to myself I might've been wrong about the top speed, he was very quick.

Still, the point stands I think. He wouldn't have been top 10 in terms of top speed at least, but would've been top 2 or 3 at worst in terms of acceleration and burst and that was where he did his damage.

https://www.thelocal.de/20140723/yoga-helped-german-football-team-bring-world-cup-home

I wonder if something like this that has physical benefits as well as intangible ones is something that is being done already at the club.

I think the Tigers had a meditation group and I heard a couple years back they were very particular putting things back where they were taken from.

Yoga has noted benefits for strengthening and flexibility but also helping people with a wide range of mental health issues.

Interesting that the German World Cup team have had a Yoga instructor with the team on multiple world cup tournaments given their success.

Yeah after I posted I did think to myself I might've been wrong about the top speed, he was very quick.

Still, the point stands I think. He wouldn't have been top 10 in terms of top speed at least, but would've been top 2 or 3 at worst in terms of acceleration and burst and that was where he did his damage.
Yeah I think he would have been, he is a naturally gifted runner.

He consistently took out our time trials in his time here after suffering OP.

He'd be around the 10 mark for his time.

Top 5 total distance:
Collingwood - 2635 km
Melbourne - 2613 km
GWS - 2607 km
Geelong - 2581 km
Carlton - 2573 km

So the problem isn't the total distance at all, it's who is covering it (i.e. no one under 22 is pulling their weight). Naturally, top speed is suffering as a result.

Where you would probably find the club and I disagree is the merits of flogging the kids this way in terms of building up their anaerobic and aerobic tolerance. I personally don't see the benefit, and if you look at the development factory that Sydney is at the moment, they'd agree with me.

https://www.thelocal.de/20140723/yoga-helped-german-football-team-bring-world-cup-home

I wonder if something like this that has physical benefits as well as intangible ones is something that is being done already at the club.

I think the Tigers had a meditation group and I heard a couple years back they were very particular putting things back where they were taken from.

Yoga has noted benefits for strengthening and flexibility but also helping people with a wide range of mental health issues.

Interesting that the German World Cup team have had a Yoga instructor with the team on multiple world cup tournaments given their success.
You really think professional trainers and staff have never heard of yoga? The club has been doing pilates for decades, I'm sure they do yoga or some variant (and also resistance band stretches, cardio and free weights, before you suggest any of those).

I've often wondered how many of our footballers utilise it. I know a lot of NFL players do and swear by it.

It would really help to alleviate soft tissue injuries. A lot of work goes into bulking up muscles but not as much on lengthening them. There's things besides yoga that would help this, but that would be the first stop you'd think. It would help with recovery too, given the stretching aspect would prevent/alleviate some lactic acid build up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back