FTA-TV House of Cards

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you expecting stars to begin exploding, or an extremely kinky episode at the end of Big Bang Theory?

Genuine question.
The title of Big Bang theory is used because the story is about scientists. House of cards is used because it's a show about an empire that is fragile and will collapse. Both titles reflect something about the show. If house of cards is a show where everything goes well then it would be the equivalent of a show about sport jocks being called Big Bang theory.

but it would be a disappointing predictable cop out at this point.

Predictable? Definitely. Cop out? Hell no. The art is in how it all happens - just because you can roughly see what the result is doesn't mean it can't be a very compelling journey to get there.

Francis Urquhart > Frank Underwood

Both are superb dramas though - the Claire-Frank dynamic is a real plus to the US series but Urquhart is a far more sophisticated bastard than Underwood.

Overall to date though the British takes the chocolates for me but that could change over the two upcoming seasons.

Predictable? Definitely. Cop out? Hell no. The art is in how it all happens - just because you can roughly see what the result is doesn't mean it can't be a very compelling journey to get there.
In season 3 they laid the groundwork for Franks eventual fall, and it was a terrible season. I was so bored watching it I was actually relieved when it ended.

Sure they could go down the obvious road. But it'll make for terrible dull TV imp.

In season 3 they laid the groundwork for Franks eventual fall, and it was a terrible season. I was so bored watching it I was actually relieved when it ended.

Sure they could go down the obvious road. But it'll make for terrible dull TV imp.

I could argue they laid the groundwork for his fall in seasons one and two as well. I could also argue that s3 would make just as much sense for your preferred ending as it would for mine.

From http://dailyreview.com.au/house-of-...-match-the-bite-of-the-british-original/21048 :

"But Kevin Spacey’s Underwood comes from the Joffrey Baratheon School of Villainy; he’s a little punk, throwing tantrums, pissing on stuff and spitting at statues. I get that we’re not meant to like Frank, but the UK version managed to elicit a kind of grudging respect for Urquhart because he was so completely composed and malicious. He might not have been a likable character, quite the opposite, but he was a fantastic villain. Underwood will never be the former but is having a hard time keeping a grip on the latter.

When Urquhart is challenged by the King (whose role is played by a hostile democratic leadership in the US version) he blackmails most of the royal family, then arranges for the King to be abducted during a tour of a housing estate so that he can be seen to rescue him. He then calls an early election, and having being vindicated by the electorate calls for the King to abdicate. Faced with similar challenges Frank Underwood had weird sex with his wife and then turned to a long, passive aggressive conflict with his own party and ultimately congress over the passage of employment reforms."
The shows completely deviated in season two. Frank wasn't even in power yet. You cant compare them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back