How Crow Can You Go? An Adelaide Football Club Saga

Where will Adelaide finish?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its not really hatred. Its a manufactured forced kind of passion is all just like us and Collingwood for instance. You live and work alongside Port supporters and vice versa. If it was genuine hatred you would not be able to co-exist.

It’s hatred in a sporting sense and I was here in 1990 when the whole thing started and that was genuine hatred that has mellowed a little.

Hate, is a very, very strong word, my not so close acquaintance.

It manifested in physical violence in the 90’s and the manhandling of SANFL officials and a commentator at a game in 1990. I’d say that was probably hatred and based on Port’s decision to stab the SANFL in the back which also resulted in the Crows entry concessions being very basic and the licence fee not being negotiable. Having been on the wrong end of Port supporters at Alberton prior to the AFL, I would certainly say it was hatred on my part.

Sorry, but Victorians don’t have a mortgage on passion and pride, in fact all the VFL had was a giant mortgage. That’s why you needed us to bail you out.

It manifested in physical violence in the 90’s and the manhandling of SANFL officials and a commentator at a game in 1990. I’d say that was probably hatred and based on Port’s decision to stab the SANFL in the back which also resulted in the Crows entry concessions being very basic and the licence fee not being negotiable. Having been on the wrong end of Port supporters at Alberton prior to the AFL, I would certainly say it was hatred on my part.

Sorry, but Victorians don’t have a mortgage on passion and pride, in fact all the VFL had was a giant mortgage. That’s why you needed us to bail you out.

Chip on the shoulder much?

Just facts mate. Without us your comp was screwed. We are the reason you still have so many Vic teams in the competition. Just say thank you and that will suffice.
We were fine :), your inclusion did nothing but halt Carlton's dominance. The financially struggling clubs were Fitzroy, Geelong, Footscray, Collingwood, Melbourne, North Melbourne and Richmond.

But you're wrong, it was the inclusion of Brisbane and West Coast that virtually saved the league.

Was laughing at some crow supporter a week or two back on here hanging it on power supporters for following a soul less franchise...I mean seriously...the Power supporter at least has a local club that is deeply entrenched in the history of Aussie Rules in the country with a pile of success on top of it...
What the hell is the Adelaide Crows??? As far as I viewed it with their underminded inception....basically the SA state of origin team thrown in the mix. Sure theres some history with State of Origin...but nothing like a club like Port Adelaide - heck I grew up a one eyed Sturt supporter and I can still respect them.
Serious case of tall poppy crap with that team and supporters...so happy I live far away from that nonsense supporter base.

If Port had been the team to enter the AFL in 1990 then Sturt supporters, and also supporters of every other SANFL team other than Port, would have been disenfranchised. They would have had no side to follow in the national competition.

Accordingly the SANFL established a composite side from all SANFL clubs. Every single player, coach or assitant, other football staff, administrators, supporters and the home ground (Football Park) derived from the ten SANFL clubs at the time. The intent was for all SANFL followers to have a team that they could choose to support in the national competition. Hence the motto for the composite side ... "the team for all South Australians". Not just for Port supporters.

Your mileage may vary. You may not agree with this principle, that is your prerogative, but there were a great many SANFL supporters from every SANFL club who did get behind the team. Memberships sold out in the first few weeks they became available.

Personally I can't see why a single club would deserve respect where a composite team derived from and representing all the clubs would not.

It manifested in physical violence in the 90’s and the manhandling of SANFL officials and a commentator at a game in 1990. I’d say that was probably hatred
Then your a bunch of dickheads. Its a game for cripes sake. One day maybe you will figure that out. That warfare mentality reminds me of the dangerous north american ideloogy.

If Port had been the team to enter the AFL in 1990 then Sturt supporters, and also supporters of every other SANFL team other than Port, would have been disenfranchised. They would have had no side to follow in the national competition.

Accordingly the SANFL established a composite side from all SANFL clubs. Every single player, coach or assitant, other football staff, administrators, supporters and the home ground (Football Park) derived from the ten SANFL clubs at the time. The intent was for all SANFL followers to have a team that they could choose to support in the national competition. Hence the motto for the composite side ... "the team for all South Australians". Not just for Port supporters.

Your mileage may vary. You may not agree with this principle, that is your prerogative, but there were a great many SANFL supporters from every SANFL club who did get behind the team. Memberships sold out in the first few weeks they became available.

Personally I can't see why a single club would deserve respect where a composite team derived from and representing all the clubs would not.
All Sturt supporters hey...fancy talking for an entire supporter base.
I’m as rusted on Sturt supporter as any and was very happy to see port have a crack at entering the competition.
And I can assure you not every single SANFL supporter or individual involved with the game was happy to see the crows come to fruition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were fine :), your inclusion did nothing but halt Carlton's dominance. The financially struggling clubs were Fitzroy, Geelong, Footscray, Collingwood, Melbourne, North Melbourne and Richmond.

But you're wrong, it was the inclusion of Brisbane and West Coast that virtually saved the league.

You should read Oakley’s book rather than just guessing.

All Sturt supporters hey...fancy talking for an entire supporter base.
I’m as rusted on Sturt supporter as any and was very happy to see port have a crack at entering the competition.
And I can assure you not every single SANFL supporter or individual involved with the game was happy to see the crows come to fruition.

I didn't mean everyone ... I just meant people who supported Sturt but would never support Port. There would have been a great many Sturt supporters who would have fit this description. Sure enough there was a fair representation of Sturt supporters amongst the initial members of the Crows.

Likewise I did not mean that the composite side would necessarily appeal to all South Australians. I did point out that "your mileage may vary". Its just that it would have appeal to a far greater range of South Australian footy supporters than just Port fans. It was meant to be a team that fans of all SANFL teams could get behind (if they chose to do so), not just Port fans. I would point out that in this aim the composite side was actually fairly successful, although I do understand that it didn't appeal to you. You can't please everybody, after all.

Last edited:
You should read Oakley’s book rather than just guessing.
So the AFL has only lived on because of the crows...this is laughable.
If the fairies came in instead of the crows...then the AFL would not exist according to you!?

Last edited:
I didn't mean everyone ... I just meant people who supported Sturt but would never support Port. There would have been a great many Sturt supporters who would have fit this description. Sure enough there was a fair representation of Sturt supporters amongst the initial members of the Crows.

Likewise I did not mean that the composite side would necessarily appeal to all South Australians. I did point out that "your mileage may vary". Its just that it would have appeal to a far greater range of South Australian footy supporters than just Port fans. It was meant to be a team that fans of all SANFL teams could get behind (if they chose to do so), not just Port fans. I would point out that in this aim the composite side was actually fairly successful, although I do understand that it didn't appeal to you. You can't please everybody, after all.
I’m a Norwood supporter and I have way more respect for Port than the Crows.

I’m a Norwood supporter and I have way more respect for Port than the Crows.

I don't doubt it.

I would point out that not all SANFL fans saw it that way, and indeed the majority would have seen it precisely the opposite way ... that attitude being that anything at all was preferable to Port joining the AFL. This is borne out by the immediate success, in terms of attracting members, of the new Crows composite side. Just about all of these inaugural members would have been fans of a SANFL side at the time ... even many Port fans. The crowd at the very first game for the Adelaide Crows, played at Footy Park, was 44,902. The vast majority of those would have been Crows supporters.

Now in terms of supporter respect, I wonder how many other current AFL clubs ever drew 44,000+ people to their very first game?

PS: For information, the crowd at Port's first AFL game at Footy Park in 1997 was a very commendable 32,747. This is a great result, but it doesn't compare to the popularity of the Crows.

Last edited:
I don't doubt it.

I would point out that not all SANFL fans saw it that way, and indeed the majority would have seen it precisely the opposite way ... that attitude being that anything at all was preferable to Port joining the AFL. This is borne out by the immediate success, in terms of attracting members, of the new Crows composite side. Just about all of these inaugural members would have been fans of a SANFL side at the time ... even many Port fans. The crowd at the very first game for the Adelaide Crows, played at Footy Park, was 44,902. The vast majority of those would have been Crows supporters.

Now in terms of supporter respect, I wonder how many other current AFL clubs ever drew 44,000+ people to their very first game?
Not sure that they were taking attendance in 1864 ... 155 years ago ... 35 years before Federation ... don’t know how you can compare that to 1991 and what was practically a State of Origin side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back