Coach How do we prepare for finals?

Where do you reckon we’ll end up at the end of H&A?

• Home qualifying final

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Away qualifying final

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Home elimination final

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Well good luck for your birthday and GO THE PIES I think the next few years will be a good time for Collingwood supporters and I cannot wait.

We are having the best preparation for the finals with all these close finishes.
Thanks and total agreement - last year's heart attack was a wake up call for me so I'm greedy for flag/s now.

We’re finals bound, with two rounds and a bye to come.

How do we prepare? Or do we simply keep doing what we’re doing?

What does our finals squad look like?

My list review below. Bolded players were selected 22 + sub against Melbourne

1. Lipinski. Has played every game this year
2. DeGoey. Cherry Ripe. Great form after mini pre-season. Chasing a contract
3. Quaynor. Had a break recently (Covid protocols) for the Adelaide game.

4. Grundy. Poses the biggest question - will he be ready to displace an in-form Cox?
5. Elliott. Ripping form after only playing 14 games of 20 this season.
6. C.Brown. Only played 5 games this year. Been named as emergency in recent games.
7. J.Daicos. Career best form, played every game this season
8. Bianco. Played 7 games this season.
9. Noble. Another player who has played every game this season
10. Pendlebury. The captain

12. Tom Wilson. Out for season
13. Adams. Racing to get back from groin injury for first week of finals.
14. Cameron. Played every game except round 1
15. Krueger. Out for season
16. Henry. In and out of the side. Fly said he needs to work on his defensive game.
17. T Brown. Hasn’t played seniors since first half of season.
18. Macrae. Only played 1 Senior game this year and that was sub. Just signed 2 year deal so clearly he’s valued
19. Draper. Yet to debut
20. Kelly. Hasn’t played seniors this season.
21. Ruscoe. Covered for Howe when he was out.
22. Sidebottom. Played every game this season
23. Roughead. Retired
24. Poulter. Played 1 game mid-season v Bulldogs
25. Crisp. As of Melbourne game, has played 182 games in a row
26. McInnis. Out for season
27. Murley. Yet to debut
28. Murphy. Played 11 games in a row
29. McMahon. Yet to debut
30. Moore. Played 19 games this season. Recently sat out round 17 game v North (Covid IIRC?)
31. McCreery. Played 17 games this season
32. Hoskin-Elliott. Subbed out of Melb game with hip flexor. Fly said it wasn’t too bad
33. Ginnivan. Played 18 games this season

34. Chugg. Debuted this season but we haven’t seen much of him since
35. N.Daicos. Played every game. Leading CFC’s 2022 disposal count by a long way
36. Harrison. Yet to debut.
37. Maynard. That tackle!
38. Howe. Just like Moore, this has been one of his best season for getting on the park. Played 19 of 20 games.

39. Begg. Debuted this year and played a 3 games mid season
40. Johnson. Kicked 10 goals in 4 games + does pressure acts + sets up team-mates. What a revelation!
41. Mihicek. Sat out the round 20 game v Port

43. Dean. Out for season
44. Madgen. Injured round 9. Murphy has taken his spot. Madge since reinvented in the VFL as a forward.
45. Carmichael. Drafted mid season, debuted round 17 and been in the 22+1 ever since
46. Cox. Turned his form around this season

do you have a site where you cut and paste this stuff from? ...or do you employ a batch of monkeys to provide all the content?

as for the question, we should try to win next week.

Thanks and total agreement - last year's heart attack was a wake up call for me so I'm greedy for flag/s now.

Hope you’re in good shape now …

… but not sure the doctor would have recommended following CFC in season 2022?

This may be tempting fate but i have a feeling Geelong will run out of puff if they go deep. And if we bring a manic finals game their oldies wont keep up. Might be wishful thinking too.

That's why they've been "managing" them all year. With their easy draw, they've had that luxury. They don't have banged up bodies at all this year. So if we play them, we'll just have to beat their best!

That's why they've been "managing" them all year. With their easy draw, they've had that luxury. They don't have banged up bodies at all this year. So if we play them, we'll just have to beat their best!
I've always felt as if this is something of a double-edged sword. They might be more rested, but they will also be less battle-tested in terms of grinding out tough battles. They've had one close game in the past month (Port).

They have so much firepower that it mostly doesn't matter, but if we can keep it close I like our chances. We did very well against them earlier, before the final quarter meltdown.

This is what our depth looks like should we have to deal with injuries:

• Adams (would think he comes in when fit)
  • Ruscoe (has played well this season but getting kept out of the side by players who are playing even better)
  • C.Brown not a fan favorite but versatile and has been named in emergencies in recent weeks
  • Grundy (hasn’t played footy for a long time, new injury setback)
  • Madgen (could fill in for Moore, Mihocek or Johnson if needed)
  • Henry (Behind Johnson and Madgen now IMO. No tank to replace WHE or a wing player)
  • T.Brown (out of favor but has senior experience)
  • Macrae (hasn’t played much senior footy in 2022, but he recently got a contract so clearly in the clubs’s good graces)
  • Poulter (ditto, but without the ‘contract extension’ and ‘good graces’ bit)
  • Chugg (ditto)
  • Kelly (ditto)
  • Begg (ruck depth)
  • Draper (Yet to debut)
  • Harrison (ditto)
  • Murley (ditto)
  • McMahon (ditto)

• Ruscoe (has played well this season but getting kept out of the side by players who are playing even better)
  • C.Brown not a fan favorite but versatile and has been named in emergencies in recent weeks
  • Henry (Behind Johnson and Madgen now IMO. No tank to replace WHE or a wing player)
  • Macrae (hasn’t played much senior footy in 2022, but he recently got a contract so clearly in the clubs’s good graces)
  • Chugg (ditto)
  • Kelly (ditto)
  • Begg (ruck depth)
  • Draper (Yet to debut)
  • Harrison (ditto)
  • Murley (ditto)
  • McMahon (ditto)
What is really good our VFL team is going well also it keeps the pressure on to keep performing,I am really impressed by the kids we have coming through, it would be good if Grundy,s injury is not too serious all other positions are reasonably covered I think.

We need to do something about our centre bounce clearances.
We cannot sustain first halves like the one we produced against the Dees.
Start Jamie at the centre bounce and then switch him forward? Or bring in McRae? How has he been in the VFL?
Obviously, Adams is a huge hole. He may not make it back.

We need to do something about our centre bounce clearances.
We cannot sustain first halves like the one we produced against the Dees.
Start Jamie at the centre bounce and then switch him forward? Or bring in McRae? How has he been in the VFL?
Obviously, Adams is a huge hole. He may not make it back.
I think starting Jamie in the middle, even if only to move forward immediately, is a bit of robbing Peter to pay Paul. Would need to offset his lead-up ability (maybe if Henry comes in for an injured Hoskin-Elliott?).

Macrae has put in an excellent 4+ weeks in the VFL. Tackling, accumulating, getting clearances and hitting the scoreboard. Knocking down the door!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With top 4 not a lock we can’t go too hard with selection changes, but at the very least I’d give Macrae a look before the h&a is out. Likewise Grundy if his ankle is ok. Getting games into Henry and Ruscoe (played recently) and C Brown / Madgen (experience) isn’t as pressing.

Keep doing exactly what we're doing

Luckily we have a coach who actually knows what's required to win flags and one who knows what that kind of environment looks like both from a playing and coaching perspective, so we're in good hands

Yes, as layman we will often seem bemused by decisions that may seem odd to brains traumatised by years of Buckley's coaching, but the results are currently speaking for themselves. Also just so happens the players are also speaking about how much more they're enjoying their football and the environment at the club.

The key to preparing for finals is to keep a lid on expectation. Just calm down, focus on the task at hand and not get too cocky. We should be aiming for the double chance because we've shown we're up for it. During the Melbourne game, we played like we thought we could win. Belief is there. We adapted to the game, too.

If we beat Sydney and Carlton, there is no reason why we cannot win the flag. We are a minimum three wins away from premiership success.

Who to watch come September? Geelong. All the other teams are beatable. The Cats are quite merciless but it is finals and anything can happen.

The key to preparing for finals is to keep a lid on expectation. Just calm down, focus on the task at hand and not get too cocky. We should be aiming for the double chance because we've shown we're up for it. During the Melbourne game, we played like we thought we could win. Belief is there. We adapted to the game, too.

If we beat Sydney and Carlton, there is no reason why we cannot win the flag. We are a minimum three wins away from premiership success.

Who to watch come September? Geelong. All the other teams are beatable. The Cats are quite merciless but it is finals and anything can happen.
As long as it doesn't end up being a repeat of 2011 then I'm good. I think we can go all the way this year but I couldn't handle another heart breaking gf loss especially to geelong

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

As long as it doesn't end up being a repeat of 2011 then I'm good. I think we can go all the way this year but I couldn't handle another heart breaking gf loss especially to geelong

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah, the heartbreaking losses suck. 2018 was the worst loss I've witnessed in some time, especially after the Richmond game. We could've saved the heartbreak and just got smashed by 100 points in the prelim. Would've been easier.

But this year feels different and our list is more refined. Instead of targeting names, we've targeted talented footballers who slide down the order. Nick Daicos, too, is the revelation we needed. He plays like a star and is only 19. Melbourne should feel disappointed that they let a kid rack up that many disposals. And Norf should be feeling a little ashamed not placing a bid on him because it's robbery we stole him for Pick 4 (GWS is exempt due to the trade).

Ultimately, if we bow out in straight sets, no-one would be too disappointed but I think just to serve it to Fox Footy, we shouldn't limit our ambitions.

• Chugg (ditto)
  • Kelly (ditto)
  • Begg (ruck depth)
  • Draper (Yet to debut)
  • Harrison (ditto)
  • Murley (ditto)
  • McMahon (ditto)
It'll be interesting to watch whether they drop Cameron or Cox.

While the club has done exceptionally well, I don’t think we can trust them to get everything right for September.

The fans need to do their bit too.

I’m getting my ‘lucky’ CARN THE PIES scarf ready. I bought it for the 2010 GF, and look what happened. I don’t wear it during the H & A season- it’s too special.

I’ll get my Collingwood garden gnome out too - he only comes out for finals. He’s a bit the worse for wear - but aren’t we all this year?

And I’m organising a 24 round the clock watch on Murphy. He is the magic ingredient. We have won every game since he returned to the side. We can’t let him out of our sights.

B32C317A-81F2-4907-9A45-480E27A7BA61.jpeg DE319AFC-C96B-46D4-9D04-DDD2C01BFE4D.jpeg

Back