Analysis How do we score?

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem does not lie in the forward line. Now it is very weak, but there has been successful teams before us with a very weak forward line (think Dogs in latish naughties). Our problem is that we do not have a goal kicking midfield. We don't have midfielders that will kick 14 to 20 goals a year. Gibbs is capable of this, but does really deliver it. Thomas is also capable, but as evident from the practice match he played, he will most likely play in the back half.

Murph, Simmo, Cripps are not really goal kicking mids.

Hopefully Graham can be a consistent goal kicking mid.

The problem does not lie in the forward line. Now it is very weak, but there has been successful teams before us with a very weak forward line (think Dogs in latish naughties). Our problem is that we do not have a goal kicking midfield. We don't have midfielders that will kick 14 to 20 goals a year. Gibbs is capable of this, but does really deliver it. Thomas is also capable, but as evident from the practice match he played, he will most likely play in the back half.

Murph, Simmo, Cripps are not really goal kicking mids.

Hopefully Graham can be a consistent goal kicking mid.
The rotation cap is going to mean we have mids resting forward a bit more than before, so I think we are going to get more goals from those guys you mentioned. Though, the same could be said for most teams, so it's not some form of advantage we would have.

The positive thing is that Murphy used to hit the scoreboard a fair bit and Cripps can definitely improve in that area just with some straighter kicking from set shots, so maybe we will be better off overall.

If anyone can actually figure out how we can create a functional high scoring forward line this year please contact the club immediately. I'm sure Brendon Bolton will be keen to offer you a job.

Can we just go back to cheating like we used to. We might be able to slip under the radar thanks to those red and black warthogs.

I honestly believe the main targets, will be :

Walker
Everitt
Levi
Kreuzer

And they'll experiment with a range of small forwards

Well Kerridge has kicked 4-5 in an AFL game a couple of times hasn't he? Presumably Wright and Lamb can kick so that is three new faces. Casboult is kicking at better than 70% since Rocca sorted him another bonus. Walker and Everitt can kick ok. If Cripps learns to do the kicking thing from 35 meters out that's another one to look to when he rests up there as a 7 foot mid.

The issue will be controlled entries into proper space and leads - if all the clearance boys manage to do is spoon the ball forwards using pretend bombs to anywhere except a crowded goal square with big Levi crashing through - well ...

Walker Casboult Everitt
Wright Someone Tall Lamb

A resting Murphy/ Kerridge / Cripps /Gibbs / Thomas / Graham / Cuningham / C.Curnow - all capable of 30-35 meter goals I would hope - I know Ed is pretty good from that distance.

The problem wont be forward line - it will be a functioning midfield playing to a system.

I'm just wondering whether we can rush a lot of behinds....now lets see 6 behinds = 1 goal

It would be nice if we could end up with about 16 goals worth a game.

Easy there's the answer right there...solved!

Next problem!

I'm just wondering whether we can rush a lot of behinds....now lets see 6 behinds = 1 goal

It would be nice if we could end up with about 16 goals worth a game.

Easy there's the answer right there...solved!

Next problem!

Think we have a bit of a problem getting the ball close enough to goal to rush it through.

As the reigning wooden spoon winners, we should get to keep the Supergoal rules for the H&A season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like to see Casboult as main target inside an open 50m. Walker as another mobile taller option with Thomas, Wright/Smith (maybe Gallucci and Sumner) as small options. The other options are Kerridge Murphy Gibbs Cripps Graham running through forward line from midfield. Eventually C.Curnow. We need to develop a system where we will consistently kick 15 goals a game.

Maybe this will work as a 22

Buckley Jamison Weitering Tuohy
Docherty Rowe (Jaksch) Byrne Simpson

Kruezer Whiley (E.Curnow) Graham Murphy
Gibbs Cripps Plowman Kerridge

Thomas Walker (Everitt) C.Curnow
Smith (Wright) Casboult Gorringe (Phillips)

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind the Idea of Gibbs playing forward a bit this year. He has good hands for his size, and can comfortably kick a goal from around 55, 60 on the run. Could play on half forward flank at times.

Dylan Buckley could fill a role as a small forward. He definitely has the speed, and tenacity for it. Armfield much similar.

Realistically though, there is no miracle goal scorer for us. I think we will need to aim for about 60-70 points and strong defence. Like the game against Hawthorn, that would be ideal.

Are there any forwards out of contract soon for other teams?

The way we structure our forward line throughout the year is going to be very interesting.
We could see a whole range of players going through there whilst it is being rebuilt.
I'd like to see us take more care when we deliver the ball forward, rather than bombing it like we have done in recent years, and once it is in there work hard to lock it in.

If those players delivering to the forwards could kick to our teams advantage we would be 5-10 shots on goal better off. Might be enough to change the result of games.

Is the question going to be rephrased to "How do our tall forwards score?"

Very pleased to see our midfielders scoring - really like the look of Graham and Kerridge impacting the scoreboard and will be pleased if Cripps and Boekhorst continue to impact the scoreboard as well as their I50s.

What is evident at times is when our midfielders are streaming forward they need a Plan B when our forwards are not present (due to them pressing high) or bad structures. Not sure what Plan B is but whacking it on the boot doesn't work. if they can't spot a forward up long then they need to hit a target short (lower their eyes) or go laterally to other midfielders streaming forward. Any other suggestions to minimise the wasteful turnovers?

I think there's been a general improvement in talls screening smalls for uncontested marks in 50, but I'd also like to see said talls and smalls making shorter, sharper leading patterns, at least in terms of the individual motions in a pattern or lead rather than the amount of leading, though that's going to rely on judgement both of and by the player in possession because you're looking at a smaller time window to recognise the lead and react.

We can't afford to give opposition defences time to structure up properly, so slow play along the wing, or taking more than 7-10 seconds to move from just forward of centre to I50 while along the same trajectory/channel/area is key IMO. Nail that, or make use of the switch if we can't, or take a shot if space is offered around 50, and we'll get much better entries and opportunities.

Right now teams just camp in the 50, and wait for us to panic with the football because we slow down, but eke away at some or all of these things a bit and it relieves the pressure inside 50 as the opposition literally has to spread themselves thinner.

Is the question going to be rephrased to "How do our tall forwards score?"

Very pleased to see our midfielders scoring - really like the look of Graham and Kerridge impacting the scoreboard and will be pleased if Cripps and Boekhorst continue to impact the scoreboard as well as their I50s.

What is evident at times is when our midfielders are streaming forward they need a Plan B when our forwards are not present (due to them pressing high) or bad structures. Not sure what Plan B is but whacking it on the boot doesn't work. if they can't spot a forward up long then they need to hit a target short (lower their eyes) or go laterally to other midfielders streaming forward. Any other suggestions to minimise the wasteful turnovers?

It's simple. Walker Casboult Everitt and another small forward the main ones with mids kicking more goals. C.Curnow and McKay will not have much impact till maybe 2018

Couple of really nice clean takes by Lamb led to goals the other day. He looks good on the lead too at training. Think he might cut it if he doesn't get the chop.

Personally I think he's too slow (though agile) and positionally poor, which has him getting found at AFL level as he struggles to find space, and thus opportunities.

I've been saying this since his name was first floated last year, and I've yet to see anything that disagrees with this. Yes he has clean hands, good skills and makes good decisions with the football, but he doesn't get enough of the football at this level to do damage. If he can start to find more space for himself or less for his opponent, he'll find more touches and he'll be a handy addition alongside Boekhorst, Murphy and Wright.

Maybe his training loads are high and that's got him looking sluggish out there, but it honestly doesn't look that different from how he played in previous years, and he's had the endurance/speed knock on him since his time at the Swans. I can see why SOS thinks he's undervalued, but in this case he has to lift his athletic performance to be better used; he's not subject to some sort of perceived bias.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back