Analysis How do we score?

Remove this Banner Ad

midfield will be cripps murphy gibbs kerridge graham whiley thomas cuningham curnow curnow wright. its solid but lacks real elite quality. cripps is by far our best and is still young.

forward line of casboult jaksch/everitt walker smith supported by midfield might be our best bet.

long way to go to build a top 4 side but i still believe we are on the right track
I'm not so sure. Cripps is brilliant, but Murphy is still a very, very, very good midfielder & Gibbs, just shy of his 27th birthday, is not quite ready for the knackery yet. I still rate Murphy ahead of Cripps, but within 2 years Cripps will be our best & will most likely be AA & a Brownlow Medallist.

I'm not so concerned about who we have in the forward line, for me it's about being good enough to keep hold of the ball long enough as well as being able to go into the forward line with some sort of plan.

I worry about our ball use more than anything and that we are hoping forwards will be able to make up for the short comings. Bit tough to be an effective forward when the ball is lobbed on your scone while you are battling 3 defenders.

When I initially saw this thread title, I was going to recommend the OP head for the streets of Collingwood/Fitzroy.

Having subsequently read the thread, I now get what the OP was referring to. In answering the question, I look back to 1978/1979 (a different era, I know) when our tall forwards were Maclure, Galt, Brown, Percy Jones & McConville. They weren't prolific goalkickers, although they occasionally kicked a bag of goals. What they did was create opportunities for our mosquito fleet, most of who were relatively unknown leading into 1978.

Looking to our present day midfielders, Murphy kicked 31 goals in 2009 & 22 in 2011. Cripps demonstrated last year that he can be dangerous up forward, he just needs to fix his radar. Kerridge has shown at Adelaide he is a goalkicker & Graham has also managed to kick goals when given the opportunity. Gibbs needs to become dangerous when going forward (he kicked 6 goals in a game in the SANFL when he was a teenager).

Of the forwards, Walker, when fit, is a goalkicker, as is Everitt. We do need a small forward to step up, whether that will be Lamb, Sumner, Galluci is anyone's guess.

Most important is whether we have a proper system for going into our F50 & a plan for overcoming the various opposition defensive set ups. You can make ordinary forwards look a million dollars if you have a cohesive forward system. What this means is it is not about the names you have in your forward line. It's all good to have quality forwards, but you can kick goals without them.

I reckon Weitering could be a star CHF

So could McKay, so his a much more natural forward than Weitering.
We've made mistakes in the past of trying to develop KPP's into something they're not.

We've made mistakes in the past of trying to develop KPP's into something they're not.

Do you mean trying to develop them into KPP's?

Because most of those that we tried to develop weren't KPP's in the first place.

Do you mean trying to develop them into KPP's?

Because most of those that we tried to develop weren't KPP's in the first place.

I was referring to Luke Livingstone.
He was a forward that we tried to turn into a backman. Was never going to work.

I was referring to Luke Livingstone.
He was a forward that we tried to turn into a backman. Was never going to work.

I wish it were only Livingstone that couldn't do what we wanted of him but unfortunately I seem to have spent much of the last few years of my life waiting for talls to match the expectations of we supporters. I do feel slightly cheated sometimes. Just hope those days are gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would love to see our front six as:

Half Forward.
Gibbs Everitt Walker

Full Forward
Charlie C. Casboult Jakcsh

In this scenario, we have no real CHF per se, however Everitt, Charlie, and Jakcsh become lead up forwards to the wings and double back to the forward fifty. Casboult becomes the FF in its traditional sense, leading out from the goal square. Each of those six spend time in the goalsquare depending on opposition match ups, trying to expose the oppositions weakest defender. Walker provides the skills of knowing where and when to lead, is dangerous on the ground and in the air. Gibbs becomes the forward you want to give the ball to to kick into the forward fifty to find one of those others out on the lead.

Playing forward in this team is akin to being a Christian in Aleppo it's a tough gig. Malthouse's view seemed to be a forward should spend 75% of the game off half back and the wing. Bolton hasn't been able to rectify it yet from what we have seen. It could be time to try something revolutionary which is to actually have a player Fu##en forward of the ball.

I think Carlton need to play much smarter when moving forward. For so long we have relied on kicking the ball on top of a forwards head hoping he will take a contested mark. We need to be more efficient in ball movement, leading patterns, forwards playing as a unit, and running their defenders into the ground.

Our Midfield is the beginning and end of our Goal kicking issues Casboult leads and cannot mark balls flying over his head or miss short or left right simply our mids disposal is not close to modern elite. until we have a midfield cleanout we will not get players who can and have the work ethic of Cripps.

Our Midfield is the beginning and end of our Goal kicking issues Casboult leads and cannot mark balls flying over his head or miss short or left right simply our mids disposal is not close to modern elite. until we have a midfield cleanout we will not get players who can and have the work ethic of Cripps.

But Cripps isn't an elite kick.

See what happens when you make broad statements?

He played multiple positions as a junior, and has dominated school footy playng as a forward at times.
It's only as part of the TAC that he's played KPD.
So it's not foreign to him at all.

I would love to see our front six as:

Half Forward.
Gibbs Everitt Walker

Full Forward
Charlie C. Casboult Jakcsh

In this scenario, we have no real CHF per se, however Everitt, Charlie, and Jakcsh become lead up forwards to the wings and double back to the forward fifty. Casboult becomes the FF in its traditional sense, leading out from the goal square. Each of those six spend time in the goalsquare depending on opposition match ups, trying to expose the oppositions weakest defender. Walker provides the skills of knowing where and when to lead, is dangerous on the ground and in the air. Gibbs becomes the forward you want to give the ball to to kick into the forward fifty to find one of those others out on the lead.

Problem with this setup is, when the ball hits the ground we are stuffed. Nobody can really crumb a goal, and nobody can apply forward pressure to keep it in. We really need Clem or Galluci to play a role.

Problem with this setup is, when the ball hits the ground we are stuffed. Nobody can really crumb a goal, and nobody can apply forward pressure to keep it in. We really need Clem or Galluci to play a role.
100% correct.

And how many goals do the good sides set up from defence?

s**t loads.

Eddie and Jeffies importance was not always kicking goals but pressuring defenders trying to come out.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back