Food, Drink & Dining Out How do you have your steak ?

?

• Rare

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • Medium - Rare

Votes: 88 53.7%
  • Medium

Votes: 34 20.7%
  • Medium Well

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Well Done

Votes: 12 7.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

What cuts do people like? Lately when buying from my meatmonger I have been getting rump. It isn't the most tender cut but I reckon it's the most flavoursome by some way
Porterhouse for me. Get the grill nice and hot, really sear the fat strip then cook it 3 min on each side. Rest it, eat it.

If I'm at a decent restaurant I'd get ribeye, but I just find it too difficult to get right, and if I don't get a steak right, it just sucks.

Used to like it rare-medium now medium. If you get a nice cut it is OK to overdo it ever so slightly as the flavour is still maintained. Unlike chicken where there is an obsession in avoiding it raw to cook it to the point it resembles chewing threw a car tyre.

Speaking of mushroom sauce.......
My famous Mushroom sauce recipe.

In a large fry pan, saute a heap of sliced mushrooms & 1/2 a finely chopped onion in some butter. Add salt and finely ground black pepper to taste.
When the onions are translucent, add a good teaspoon of crushed garlic. Once the garlic is added, stir through for a minute or 2 being careful to not burn the garlic. Remove from the heat.
Transfer to a large saucepan. Add 250 ml of campbells chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of corn flour and a couple of splashes of worcestershire sauce. Stir continuously while simmering for 10 to 15 mins. By this stage the sauce should have started to thicken. If not, continue simmering.
Add 500ml of thickened cream and simmer another 10 to 15 mins or until it thickens to a nice sauce.

Serve with a perfect medium rare steak.
Enjoy.

This is a lot of mucking about but well worth it.
This serves 6 to 8 people. I freeze what I dont use in zip lock bags.
Reheating must be done when thawed.
When reheating, do this VERY slowly or it will curdle.
Do not microwave. It will curdle.

You will not find this in a recipe book. This is my own creation.

Making steak sandwiches tonight.

Massive piece of rump, cut off the fat strip, flatten and cut to the right sized pieces. Quick minute on each side.

For the sandwich, Swiss cheese, steak, caramelised onions, lettuce, tomato, tomato relish, garlic aioli inside thick cut pieces of tiger loaf, lightly brushed with garlic butter and grilled until slightly brown.

Choice.

That's how I cook my steaks, only way to have them.

Did this tonight with a couple of ~400gm Scotch Fillets. Was a bit skeptical as I'm a turn once type of guy but this was really good and the missus and kids loved it.

Made a different style mushroom sauce as when I looked in the cupboard I was out of most ingredients.

Used margarine in place of butter, with chives, mushrooms and garlic all sautéed. Then added some Dijon Mustard with a bottle of Dry Apple Cider and reduced. Added cream and it was really nice.

Love a good steak night. We usually have a local killer from mates up the road but tried these steaks from Costco and they were really good if anyone shops there.

I put medium rare although I probably err on the side of medium. Eating out I always order medium-rare as most places tend to slightly overcook rather than undercook or actually get it right.

That's how I cook my steaks, only way to have them.

A steak cooked in a water bath for an hour is 1000x better than anything on a pan, it's not even in the same ballpark. And yes, I've fried them like Heston does. No matter the thickness or the cut. Finish it off flash searing it and basting it in a pan with thyme and butter, you will have a $60 chefs hat steak every single time. Deglaze the pan with red wine, reduce it, for a easy red wine jus.

You lose way too much moisture cooking it through on a bbq, charcoal or pan, and the cooking consistency isn't even comparable, it also makes thicker cuts a lot easier to get perfect. Dump it in an ice bath after its done for a few minutes to rest it, then flash sear it. It's pretty much how any piece of meat, poultry or fish is cooked in a Michelin star restaurant.

I recent cooked some Cape grim beef short ribs for 3 days in a water bath then finished them in my pellet smoker for a couple of hours. As close to meat nirvana as you are likely to get.

I guarentee if you master this technique the next time you see those 500g 2" thick rib eyes that you hate cooking, next time you serve them to your mates they will mimic something you'd get at the press club.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A steak cooked in a water bath for an hour is 1000x better than anything on a pan, it's not even in the same ballpark. And yes, I've fried them like Heston does. No matter the thickness or the cut. Finish it off flash searing it and basting it in a pan with thyme and butter, you will have a $60 chefs hat steak every single time. Deglaze the pan with red wine, reduce it, for a easy red wine jus.

I recent cooked some Cape grim beef short ribs for 3 days in a water bath then finished them in my pellet smoker for a couple of hours. As close to meat nirvana as you are likely to get.

agree

It is to die for

I tend to plan ahead if I'm having a steak. My favourite cut is rib-eye, which I buy a couple of days before hand, leave it in the fridge uncovered for a day, maybe two (don't underestimate how much this will improve your steak). When it's time to cook, take it out and let it get up to room temperature, add salt, then into a smoking hot pan (or in the Weber if I can be arsed, straight over the coals initially, then indirect heat, then finish back over the coals with some butter on top to get the flames licking at the steak), and cook until medium-rare to medium, achieving a nice crust, but not burning the s**t out of it. If it's a really thick cut and I'm using a pan, I'll sear both sides and edges and then put it in the oven. Then it must be rested.

I'm quite partial to Chinese BBQ roast duck, and whenever I get it, I freeze the leftover bones. As a result, I'll generally have some home made duck stock on hand in the freezer. Depending on what I'm after when I cook a steak, I'll turn some stock into a jus, whether it's just reducing the stock down on its own, as the flavour is already pretty amazing, or I'll add a bit of decent red wine and some herbs to the mix. I like to just enjoy the flavour of a good steak, so I'll put the jus in a little ramekin for dipping, rather than slathering it over the top.

Your method sounds pretty damn amazing Pykie, are you using a Sous Vide cooker? If not, very interested in hearing your method for doing this!

I'm getting better at cooking steaks at home - I'm still no master at all though.

I think key is putting more salt and pepper than you think, cooking harder and faster (let that thing get some char!), and then the REST. Long live the rest.

My personal recommendation, though - you will have a hard time beating the steak served at Charcoal Grill on the Hill in Kew. Let the pros do it. Start with some chevaps, smash the top off a few good bottles of red, enjoy.

1. Wait for sun to hit kitchen.
2. Wave steak in the air for 30 seconds.
3. Serve.

Back