List Mgmt. How many of our ‘Soresome Foursome’ are on the list in 2024?

How many of our ‘Soresome Foursome’ are on the list in 2024?

• 0 (CARNAGE!)

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • 1 (Cutting deep!)

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • 2 (Tough without being savage)

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • 3 (The bare minimum)

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • 4 (what really?)

Votes: 17 25.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We keep Yeo and Gov.

Shuey has to hang them up. The mind is more than willing but the body is shot. It would actually be negligent of the club to sign him again IMO. We need to protect the man from himself. You are a long time retired.

Naita...really hope he works something out with the club and he retires. 2024 coaching role, rehabbing of his achilles and a cushy side hustle with one of our big corporate associates to make the dollars stack up. I'll actually be pretty pissed if he stays on the list, given he is not going to be approaching anywhere near ready to play until late 2024 - at the absolute earliest.

2-3 retained IMO.

IMHO, Shuey and Naitanui are definites. Both are 33. It's an indictment on our list management that Naitanui was given two years in the first place.

McGovern is 31. I'm happy for him to play another year, given how thin our KPD stocks are. Can't believe he's (rumoured) to be offered two years. Utter madness.

Yeo is only 29, albeit turning 30 soon. That's definitely young enough to play another year or two.

I can't believe people are using "Shuey" and the term "when fit" in the same sentence still....

They must surely be opposition trolls who will be the only people to benefit if he plays on.

Working on four ‘tiers’ of players. Tier 1 is the oldies. Tier 2 the mid range who’ve been at the club several years (and are mostly disappointing). Tier 3 at the club 2-3 years (with only a few best 22). Tier 4 the real newbies.

Tier 1 has some good to excellent players but too many prone to injury.
Reckon we’re really thin in Tier 2 (Duggan, Cole, Ryan); Tier 3 also thin (JJ, Oscar, BWill). Tier 4 by and large promising but of course raw.

On that basis we’re really not short on players to delist. But I see a real shortage of leaders - nearly all of it is in Tier 1. For that reason I’d be leaning towards keeping Hurn and Shuey for their leadership but only expecting a season between them.

Jamie Cripps should retire but he will go another year, Andrew Gaff the same should retire but till go another year. Nic Nat havent heard anything about his injury i think WCE know whats going on, leaving it till the last minute to announce his future. With Williams being our first choice ruck & Barnett another preseason i expect best he could hope for is sub for a few games. Mcgovern should go one more year & only 1 more year.

So Shuey and Hurn have hung them up.
Realistically there has to be a good chance that NN gets the doctors tap and gets paid out the last year of contract.

Given that Yeo is 29 and if he can get over these damned injuries could play for 3 or 4 more that still leaves some age on the list that'll need to go over the next 1-3 years.
Gov hopefully recovers and we get 1-2 years out of him. Hope we offer 1 at a time. Rumours say 2 however.
Cripps - has he signed? rumour 2 years? That would surely be the max we keep him for?
Gaff - no extension past 2024. Surely?
Darling - same age as Gaff but more the type of player that could go on a couple.

So...
2023 Lose Shuey, Hurn and possibly NN.
2024 - Lose NN (if not in 2023), and possibly Gaff, Gov, Cripps.
2024 questions over Yeo and Darling as well.

That's a lot. But it is a largely self inflicted problem.

Realistically there has to be a good chance that NN gets the doctors tap and gets paid out the last year of contract.

Given that Yeo is 29 and if he can get over these damned injuries could play for 3 or 4 more that still leaves some age on the list that'll need to go over the next 1-3 years.
Gov hopefully recovers and we get 1-2 years out of him. Hope we offer 1 at a time. Rumours say 2 however.
Cripps - has he signed? rumour 2 years? That would surely be the max we keep him for?
Darling - same age as Gaff but more the type of player that could go on a couple.

So...

I'd be pencilling in Gov and Cripps to finish in 2025.

Jamie Cripps should retire but he will go another year, Andrew Gaff the same should retire but till go another year. Nic Nat havent heard anything about his injury i think WCE know whats going on, leaving it till the last minute to announce his future. With Williams being our first choice ruck & Barnett another preseason i expect best he could hope for is sub for a few games. Mcgovern should go one more year & only 1 more year.
Cripps biggest strength is tackling & you want him to go because he's too old. He's more valuable than Gaff imho.
As for McGovern lets see whether Barrass stays.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jamie Cripps?

He’s very much proven he can go still when he’s on the park and offers forward line pressure that no one else goes close to.

Has been unlucky with a couple of impact injuries but he’s the kind of guy you can retain - he’s a role player, not a key position, not a prime midfielder etc.

So...

Not so much a problem if the next tier contained a couple of real champs and quite a few better than average. But that cupboard is hardly overflowing with talent. Or has injury problems. And none scream leadership.

25-29 years old: Sheed, Hunt, TK, TB, Ryan, Duggan, Cole and Yeo. SPS and Rotham too. (24: JJ, Waterman and Witherden)

Cripps should not retire. His latest injury wasn't a soft tissue problem and he delivers more often than not. He's a great example setter for Long and anyone else we have roll through that forward line. He sprints, he repeat sprints, he tackles and he has a ping when it's his turn.

Him with Ryan and Long, that's a good mix going forward with Darling and Allen up forward.

….and then there was 2.

The satisfaction of being right (thus far) is greatly tempered by the disappointment that we never got to see Nic Nat back out there again.

Gov and Yeo will be around next year, unless something quite unexpected happens - so it’s 2/4.

On the bright side, our injury list almost certainly gets shorter next year (but hey, I said that in 2022! 🤢)

….and then there was 2.

The satisfaction of being right (thus far) is greatly tempered by the disappointment that we never got to see Nic Nat back out there again.

Gov and Yeo will be around next year, unless something quite unexpected happens - so it’s 2/4.

On the bright side, our injury list almost certainly gets shorter next year (but hey, I said that in 2022! 🤢)

I wouldn’t say it in the nicnat appreciation thread (and fair enough) but the end of nicnat‘s career has done a lot to detract from his legacy for me.

for me, he‘ll be remembered in equal parts as the dynamic, athletic and exciting ruckman that he was in the first half of his career and for the overweight, lazy and frequently injured ruckman who could barely manage 60% game time and failed to get the best out of himself in the second half of his career.

I expect there’s plenty who will see that as overly harsh and I‘ll accept that but NicNat should be the measure that the others like max Gawn etc are judged against, instead he’ll mostly be revered by Eagles supporters and pushed well down the order by the wider raging AFL community.

I am happy he has chosen to retire, it’s the right thing to do for the club and himself.

I think he made the right choice, but he was AA not too long ago so I don't feel like his second half was bad. I just wish he never had those ACL injuries, could have been a true great with his athleticism and clearance work for a big man.

I wouldn’t say it in the nicnat appreciation thread (and fair enough) but the end of nicnat‘s career has done a lot to detract from his legacy for me.

for me, he‘ll be remembered in equal parts as the dynamic, athletic and exciting ruckman that he was in the first half of his career and for the overweight, lazy and frequently injured ruckman who could barely manage 60% game time and failed to get the best out of himself in the second half of his career.

I expect there’s plenty who will see that as overly harsh and I‘ll accept that but NicNat should be the measure that the others like max Gawn etc are judged against, instead he’ll mostly be revered by Eagles supporters and pushed well down the order by the wider raging AFL community.

I am happy he has chosen to retire, it’s the right thing to do for the club and himself.
How was he lazy? Granted he looked overweight but we are assuming that’s due to laziness. He was all Australian twice since his second ACL. All on restricted minutes. Lots of assumptions based on his presumed weight issue

Confused Joe Biden GIF by CBS News

he earned B2B AA's in 2020 & 2021.

So...

i have zero confidence that this club will get yeo right.

if i was him i'd ask to be traded to a club with competent medical staff.

Honestly, and I don't say this flippantly, why are you a West Coast supporter?
Because this opinion is terrible. Even greatwhiteshark who couldn't stand Naitanui had nicer (albeit perfunctory) words to say about him.
This is the type of comment that belongs in the bay IMO.

lazy? comes back from 2 knee recons as a ruckman? thats unheard of you know

Back