News Hugh Greenwood joins Crows on 2 year deal

Remove this Banner Ad

GREAT! He just had it shaved off for charity!
Good... Good.

That's what this club needs! Short back and sides across the board! Clean shaven! You want to have a ridiculous hair style or stupid facial hair, you can go play for Port! At this club we present ourselves as professionals! :p

Good... Good.

That's what this club needs! Short back and sides across the board! Clean shaven! You want to have a ridiculous hair style or stupid facial hair, you can go play for Port! At this club we present ourselves as professionals! :p

1hck6c.jpg

Met Hugh today and had a chance for a chat. Told him i was a Crows fan and his face lit up and he shook my hand and chin wagged for 10 mins about Footy and some other stuff. His GF was with him and she got a bit bored by it all :p

He is the nicest bloke. Well spoken and reckons the boys have been getting flogged this pre season. Says he doesn't miss Basketball at all and is looking forward to a big 2017

So accommodating, was a real pleasure to meet him. Champion

Met Hugh today and had a chance for a chat. Told him i was a Crows fan and his face lit up and he shook my hand and chin wagged for 10 mins about Footy and some other stuff. His GF was with him and she got a bit bored by it all :p

He is the nicest bloke. Well spoken and reckons the boys have been getting flogged this pre season. Says he doesn't miss Basketball at all and is looking forward to a big 2017

Did you ask him how Mackay gets a game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have heard similar reports that the players are getting absolutely flogged this pre season

And that Pykey has been a bit grumpy !!

I like it
best thing I've heard all preseason.

my ultimate dream is still that last year was something of a dry run to start making a few changes but more importantly to see how his first mate, officers and crew handled the ship - fingers crossed he's realised he has few allies and its time to whip them all into shape.

its far-fetched I know, but he doesn't seem the type they've brought in a yes man to maintain the status quo. He didn't become a head coach to not win a premiership IMO.

Lived next door to his parents for 5 years. Mick (Sticks) is an absolute champion bloke. Just all round great people.

Really hope he gets a crack next year!

my ultimate dream is still that last year was something of a dry run to start making a few changes but more importantly to see how his first mate, officers and crew handled the ship - fingers crossed he's realised he has few allies and its time to whip them all into shape.

its far-fetched I know, but he doesn't seem the type they've brought in a yes man to maintain the status quo. He didn't become a head coach to not win a premiership IMO.
True but one man can't do it on his own in modern day

Clarkos barely takes training even though he's running the ship

Not many first time senior coaches implement a slash and burn program. Whether we like it or not, financial considerations are important, especially with the tax on overspending. Pyke inherited contracted underlings that he can't just refuse to work with. Hypothetically, if he didn't want Campo, who's on say $350k, paying out the contract would cost about $500k. It's simply not reasonable to expect Pyke to expect the club to do that or the club to cough up if Pyke did expect it. Pyke's job is to assess his crew, utilise their strengths and minimise their influence in areas where they're shitful, like selection.

I'm quite confident that 2017 will be more of Pyke and less of the methodology that he inherited.

Have heard similar reports that the players are getting absolutely flogged this pre season

And that Pykey has been a bit grumpy !!

I like it
Good to hear. Last thing we need is a "let's pat ourselves on the back cause we'll easily replicate our efforts again" offseason we had after our 2012 season.

I did like Pykes talk about how being good is a barrier to being great. Sounds like he's very aware of how easily it can be to start to slack off a bit once you win more than you lose.

Last edited:
Not many first time senior coaches implement a slash and burn program. Whether we like it or not, financial considerations are important, especially with the tax on overspending. Pyke inherited contracted underlings that he can't just refuse to work with. Hypothetically, if he didn't want Campo, who's on say $350k, paying out the contract would cost about $500k. It's simply not reasonable to expect Pyke to expect the club to do that or the club to cough up if Pyke did expect it. Pyke's job is to assess his crew, utilise their strengths and minimise their influence in areas where they're shitful, like selection.

I'm quite confident that 2017 will be more of Pyke and less of the methodology that he inherited.
all reasonable points, but the clock is always ticking, every second counts.

hope he doesn't come to regret the slow approach.

Good to hear. Last thing we need is a "let's pat ourselves on the back cause we'll easily replicate our efforts again" offseason we had after our 2012 season.

I did like Pykes talk about how being good is a barrier to being great. Sounds like he's very aware of how easily it can be to start to slack off a bit once you win more than you lose.

Yep, just look at Port since 2014 and us in the final two years of Sando.

Hopefully we have the hunger to do more than just make the finals.

all reasonable points, but the clock is always ticking, every second counts.

hope he doesn't come to regret the slow approach.
Yeah. The problem for Pyke is that he's getting judged on results from day 1, not from when those existing contracts expire a year or two later.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back