Roast I cursed Max King

Remove this Banner Ad

Boosting this thread in order to congratulate both club and Max signing a contract extension that will take him to the end of 2026.
So a five year contract extension.
This will be the lead contract for the club, I’d expect other future contracts will use it as the baseline.
As will our salary cap, as it will also be based on this contract.
As I have written previously, I suspect that the Steele contract is our current baseline for new contracts.
Max is obviously seen as the successor.
I like the strategy that Gallagher is implementing.
Not appreciated enough.

Boosting this thread in order to congratulate both club and Max signing a contract extension that will take him to the end of 2026.
This will be the lead contract for the club, I’d expect other future contracts will use it as the baseline.
As I have written previously, I suspect that the Steele contract is our current baseline for new contracts.
Not appreciated enough.
comedy festival in June this year?

Not appreciated enough.

Hopefully it is seen a genius one day. Steele signed for unders which is excellent business and how the pro clubs do it. Hopefully no more insane deals for average talent from outside the club though. I would have waited on King, he seems happy enough with the club and it puts an added layer of pressure to perform to his contract now.

He's been screwed by some legacy contracts which have limited what he can do and pushed a few fringe players out that would have been better to kept for depth than some he kept but he has definitely done well with Steele. Steele is a gun for signing up for less too. Under appreciated when any player makes personal sacrifice these days and speaks volumes for the kind of guy he is.

Hopefully it is seen a genius one day. Steele signed for unders which is excellent business and how the pro clubs do it. Hopefully no more insane deals for average talent from outside the club though. I would have waited on King, he seems happy enough with the club and it puts an added layer of pressure to perform to his contract now.

He's been screwed by some legacy contracts which have limited what he can do and pushed a few fringe players out that would have been better to kept for depth than some he kept but he has definitely done well with Steele. Steele is a gun for signing up for less too. Under appreciated when any player makes personal sacrifice these days and speaks volumes for the kind of guy he is.
I know you have been banging on for a bit about the professionalism of the club and management, or lack thereof.
I can’t criticise that.
And though unhappy with the performance of the team, I can and do see improvement.
But more so in the weeds that really have nothing to do with the week to week outcomes.
Yet are critical to the long term of the club.
This a just one example.
And fantastic that you recognise what is happening.
It tells us that he is cleaning up the legacy stuff as you quite rightly point out.
But I also believe that he is establishing a framework going forward that is rational, disciplined and professional.
Getting your salary cap in order is so critical for the long term performance of a club.
You avoid disasters like Collingwood and you can establish equity.
You can really leverage that.
If I recall, Geelong was doing this stuff back in the Thompson era and probably still are given they got Cameron into their cap and at no over the top $’s.
That’s what a professionally managed cap can offer.
So when you or others point to Geelong, Richmond or Sydney and contrast their professionalism with our own ineptitude, I can’t argue.
But I can rejoice when we appear to be adopting a similar approach.

Similarly with the Club message to members this week.
People get out of it what they want.
I heard about their recovery strategy for this year.
They’ve branded it “Bridging the Gap”.
Internally it is shorthand for whatever those plans are.
No one here picked up Ratts response re playing youth.
Except to criticise him for an apparent contradiction.
But there was no contradiction in his response.
His decision about playing players is driven by this “Bridging the Gap”.
The club has a plan to address the shortcomings, he is going to stick to that plan.
Eminently sensible if you believe these guys are close to the problems.

And no one, no one, picked up on the term “Dynasty Team”.
That clearly is shorthand for a vision of where this team wants to strive.
It wants to be successful and it wants to be successful for some time.
More importantly, it is in common use within the four walls of the club.

No one off, hit or miss, short term fixes are consistent with that.

Those two phrases just told me so much.
About the internals of the Club.
The focus.
The planning.
And about how little anyone on this board actually knows.
Because nowhere have I read those phrases here.
And to my simple mind, they appear to be integral to the internal conversations that are going on within the walls of the Club everyday.
You know, fundamental.

I know you have been banging on for a bit about the professionalism of the club and management, or lack thereof.
I can’t criticise that.
And though unhappy with the performance of the team, I can and do see improvement.
But more so in the weeds that really have nothing to do with the week to week outcomes.
This a just one example.
It tells us that he is cleaning up the legacy stuff as you quite rightly point out.
But I also believe that he is establishing a framework going forward that is rational, disciplined and professional.
Getting your salary cap in order is so critical for the long term performance of a club.
If I recall, Geelong was doing this stuff back in the Thompson era and probably still are given they got Cameron into their cap and at no over the top $’s.
So when you or others point to Geelong, Richmond or Sydney and contrast their professionalism with our own ineptitude, I can’t argue.

The club has a plan to address the shortcomings, he is going to stick to that plan.

The focus.
The planning.
And to my simple mind, they appear to be integral to the internal conversations that are going on within the walls of the Club everyday.
You know, fundamental.

Good, positive post.
Don’t know if you have some insider knowledge, or just your supposition.
Either way, I hope you’re right.

I can’t criticise that.
This a just one example.

The focus.
The planning.
You know, fundamental.

I'm much less trusting. They still make some dumb choices but our standards have been so low since the last couple of set ups that anyone who doesn't break everything they touch looks elite. This is definitely something they are improving though, hopefully it's across the board and a new dorection. I hate a catch phrase unless it's backed up with something. Bridging the Gap was a government policy to help Aboriginals get similar health and education outcomes to the rest of Australia. It sounds like a catch phrase until it's got some plans laid out and an end goal.

I hope I'm way off the mark and you're on the money, but I've been burnt so many times I expect the worst to protect myself from disappointment.

I can’t criticise that.
This a just one example.

The focus.
The planning.
You know, fundamental.
"Dynasty team" is that sort of like Watters' "juggernaut"?
Are we now going to claim creation of cliches as a moral victory?

I can’t criticise that.
This a just one example.

The focus.
The planning.
You know, fundamental.

you realise Gags is the one who did the Hill trade right? yet you're using Geelong as a comparison...

"Dynasty team" is that sort of like Watters' "juggernaut"?
Are we now going to claim creation of cliches as a moral victory?

We are so far from Dynasty Team that I'd take competitive team. Perhaps when you're living in your car, dreaming of a mansion is too far ahead, maybe just get up put the bong away and head to CentreLink and get a regular dole payment going. Small steps not lottery ticket dreams.

you realise Gags is the one who did the Hill trade right? yet you're using Geelong as a comparison...
You realize the Hill trade wasn't half as bad as people make out here and isn't an indictment on anyone, aside from his wage which is separate from the trade.

Picks 58 (4th) and a future 4th for a future 3rd: Good trade
Pick 10 and a future 2nd: Exactly what most here though they could part with without much issue = OK trade
GOAT: Overpaid GOP that had (allegedly) been told he wouldn't get another contract anyway, and freed up $500K and a list spot = Good trade

So forget about the trade, it was actually perfectly fine. Hill is just on too much money for his output and for that he should be dropped.

You realize the Hill trade wasn't half as bad as people make out here and isn't an indictment on anyone, aside from his wage which is separate from the trade.

Picks 58 (4th) and a future 4th for a future 3rd: Good trade
Pick 10 and a future 2nd: Exactly what most here though they could part with without much issue = OK trade
GOAT: Overpaid GOP that had (allegedly) been told he wouldn't get another contract anyway, and freed up $500K and a list spot = Good trade

So forget about the trade, it was actually perfectly fine. Hill is just on too much money for his output and for that he should be dropped.

Pick 10 on it's own was too much IMO. One good first round pick was plenty. They paid a pick in the 20s off the back of him being a premiership player. On current output that would be about right and still overs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 10 on it's own was too much IMO. One good first round pick was plenty. They paid a pick in the 20s off the back of him being a premiership player. On current output that would be about right and still overs.
I agree, but that's hindsight talking.
Since coming to us he's been pretty awful but that's on him and the coaches. I'm happy to say it hasn't worked out so far, I just take exception to the endless overstating of that trade.
I'm sure everyone here would now rather that trade was never done and that we had the pick 10 and the second rounder back to use for drafting. But what's done is done.

We can't keep looking at the likes of GOAT and Jill as an error of management. The reality it they were both average at best and shifting them out was the right thing to do. Hill was only worth one first as you say, but we paid a second on top because he had 2 more years on his contract. The rest of it was inconsequential garbage.

I agree, but that's hindsight talking.
Since coming to us he's been pretty awful but that's on him and the coaches. I'm happy to say it hasn't worked out so far, I just take exception to the endless overstating of that trade.
I'm sure everyone here would now rather that trade was never done and that we had the pick 10 and the second rounder back to use for drafting. But what's done is done.

We can't keep looking at the likes of GOAT and Jill as an error of management. The reality it they were both average at best and shifting them out was the right thing to do. Hill was only worth one first as you say, but we paid a second on top because he had 2 more years on his contract. The rest of it was inconsequential garbage.

I wasn't against getting Hill but I suggested his value was around pick 20. I told people he would s**t people as well. I didn't realise how poor his form was going to be though. Hopefully he starts to play better at some point because he's here for a long time.

Newnes and Acres haven't held us back but swapping out a GOP for a GOP but getting nothing back while over paying and getting the net same benefit is in no way a a trade that can be seen in anyway but a fail. Less fail than Hanners though because at least he's still got scope to get back to what he was.

A pick 10 and a second round pick would have been a better option in hindsight. We got caught up in getting a big name player and had to go through with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back