I Thought Blues Fans Said Murphy Wasn't A 'Protected Player'?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not arguing with the frees he's been awarded per se, merely the perception earlier in the year that Murphy was going to be hard done by because he isn't on this alleged "protected players" list.

Anyone with half a brain could tell that the "list" in question was actually just an off-the-cuff remark in the course of a radio interview anyway.

I've watched the Saints play Carlton twice this year, and there is no doubt from what I have seen that St Kilda (and Steven Baker in particular) have gone out of their way to be over-physical with Murphy.

There's obviously a perception that he doenst like it tough, but that additional attention also means he's going to earn his fair share of free kicks as well.

All part of the learning process.

yes....murphy gets the hardest tag in the league every week!

Correct, has done amazingly well for such a young player in my opinion.

Would love to see how a guy like Dale Thomas would perform copping the stuff that Murphy does every week. Gets a few free kicks, but well and truly earns them I reckon.

Put him in the Eagles/Cats team as 4th midfielder and he would be absolutely dominating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct, has done amazingly well for such a young player in my opinion.

Would love to see how a guy like Dale Thomas would perform copping the stuff that Murphy does every week. Gets a few free kicks, but well and truly earns them I reckon.

Put him in the Eagles/Cats team as 4th midfielder and he would be absolutely dominating.

I was being sarcastic. Most prime mids get a harder tag than murphy.

Murphy needs the free kicks so that he can actually get the ball.

Its amazing that a player can go so far backwards in 12 months.

Yep averaging a whole .6 of a possession less this year despite actually getting the number 1 tagger most weeks. Wow he's really gone backwards.:rolleyes:

People seem to be confused with what a tag is. Most the times teams don't even employ a player to tag unless it is a player who is on a hot streak.

People seem to be confused with what a tag is. Most the times teams don't even employ a player to tag unless it is a player who is on a hot streak.

Either I'm watching a different sport to you, or our interpretation of a 'tag' is very very different.

In your opinion, what role do players like Ling, Sewell, Baker play each week ?

And back to the thread subject - I think we'll be seeing Marc Murphy be an elite AFL mid-fielder for quite a few years.

If the Blues still had Nick Stevens playing, the pressure (and the weekly hard tag) would be right off Murphy.

Murphy needs the free kicks so that he can actually get the ball.

Its amazing that a player can go so far backwards in 12 months.

Like to see Daisy fairy boy Thomas or Benderbury lead your midfield with injuries to your key mids. Daisy would be chopped liver.

Get a clue troll. And feed your friends down at the shelter.

He isn't a protected player. If he was in the same category as a Judd he would be number 1 in the league in free kicks by an absolute country mile. The way he is 'unfairly' belted in packs and stoppages are often unrewarded.

Either I'm watching a different sport to you, or our interpretation of a 'tag' is very very different.

In your opinion, what role do players like Ling, Sewell, Baker play each week ?

And back to the thread subject - I think we'll be seeing Marc Murphy be an elite AFL mid-fielder for quite a few years.

If the Blues still had Nick Stevens playing, the pressure (and the weekly hard tag) would be right off Murphy.

Some teams at times apply heavy tags but most times players go about there own game. In the past a tag was usually when the players main objective was to stop the opponent and him getting the ball was secondary. In most games teams don't employ these tactics. Most coaches have faith that there players can do the work both ways.

The fact is only the very best players cop this treatment on a weekly basis. And very few teams employ these tactics on a regular basis if any.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back