Ideas to better the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree.
I just don't see how the AFL running the 2nd comps - as they do in the 5 other states - makes a difference.
Must just be me.

btw, you do know what AFL clubs do with their kids that aren't quite ready?
(Hint... games in the reserves... wink wink)

Because the WAFL and the SANFL are the only 2nd tier comps that are remotely healthy? Even then they are heavily dependent on their AFL licenses.

If we want a strong second tier then I'm not convinced that AFL control is the way to go.

Again; I disagree. :D

But how can you say they are not completely adequate? They both work perfectly in removing any possible clash, which is the primary purpose of a clash jumper. A clash jumper doesn't have to be completely different from a home jumper, it just has to remove a clash.

But how can you say they are not completely adequate? They both work perfectly in removing any possible clash, which is the primary purpose of a clash jumper. A clash jumper doesn't have to be completely different from a home jumper, it just has to remove a clash.

Collingwoods clash jumper, when compared to North's home jumper is still vertically striped black and white against vertically striped blue and white.

Can I tell the difference? Yeah sure. Could I if I was on the field with five blokes about to collect me? Dunno, maybe - probably.

Regardless of whether you think it is appropriate, it is toeing very close to the line of acceptability.

I'd like to see the AFL remove any confusion by enforcing a significantly different jumper for dictated clashes.

Pies & Dons have made a mockery of the clash jumper "rule"

But what have Collingwood done to make a mockery of it?

BOTH Pies and Dons have effectively paid lip service to the requirement by making the BAREST MINIMUM changes to an existing guernsey to quell most of the noise.

It's also not coincidental (IMHO) that the two clubs in question are two of the more powerful clubs in the league.

I mean, how hard can North REALLY push in protest, before Collingwood decides that the other 16 teams asking for a home game against them will make it into their fixture request to the AFL - or any other of the numerous ways that a more influential club can squeeze a smaller one.

Some excellent comments Slatts

This fear that the AFL would do things to disadvantage/harm/destroy football in SA/WA is unfounded - proof is in action and the AFL has a long track record now of supporting grass roots footy and state footy.

Its the reason Australia has a Senate, the States dont trust the Feds & in this case the AFL are the Feds.

WA footy are net contributors to the player pool, the Vics need more than they provide & this subsidy happens year in/year out.

Re the stadium deals in Melbourne, its pathetic to say what should be done, its a mess that discrimates against certain clubs & favours two clubs that get priority treatment (that would not occur under the WA model), it would have been fixed under the WA model, not be an ongoing disgrace.

BOTH Pies and Dons have effectively paid lip service to the requirement by making the BAREST MINIMUM changes to an existing guernsey to quell most of the noise.
Who cares if they've done the barest minimum. There still isn't a clash.

6 other clubs use inverses of their home jumpers as clash/away jumpers. Port have got the same colours, the same design, but a different predominant colour. Same as Freo, same as Footscray, same as North. They've done exactly the same thing as us. Coincidence.

But collingwood does it, so suddenly they're making a mockery of the clash jumper rule :confused:

Its the reason Australia has a Senate, the States dont trust the Feds & in this case the AFL are the Feds.

WA footy are net contributors to the player pool, the Vics need more than they provide & this subsidy happens year in/year out.

Re the stadium deals in Melbourne, its pathetic to say what should be done, its a mess that discrimates against certain clubs & favours two clubs that get priority treatment (that would not occur under the WA model), it would have been fixed under the WA model, not be an ongoing disgrace.
Please explain the "model"? You keep saying it. I have no idea what you mean.

ITT, Collingwood supporters keep missing the same two words in order to keep feeling paranoid.

Poor old them, only the biggest club & successful 2 years ago... clearly the AFL is out to get them... wtf Pies people?

Please explain the "model"? You keep saying it. I have no idea what you mean.

The structure defines the way it works, aka the model.

The WAFC owns the AFL licence versus the Vic arrangement, the clubs own the licences.

In WA when the AFL clubs run at a profit, they pay a dividend to WA footy, not build bigger & better assets for themselves ( not a criticism).

In WA the WAFC control the ground, not a cricket club, or a privately owned for profit organisation. The money stays inside the game.

In WA, the WAFC do not compete for members, in Vic supporters are able to reject their clubs & join the AFL or even a cricket club.

Would Vic footy be better off if clubs contributed to the game? Would clubs be better off if there was one only deal with the G, with Etihad? Why does the AFL continue to compete for members with the clubs?

Hope that answers the question Slatts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most of that isn't even possible.
The AFL Vic (even the AFL) can't buy the MCG. Simply not possible. Necessary evil (I don't like it either).
The memberships is a different ball game, in WA fans simply have to have a membership to get a spot, for the majority of Vic clubs (even Collingwood most weeks) you can walk up every week. Which makes AFL memberships etc viable.

Changing the structure won't change that.

Purely from the way it's evolved, it's a hotch-potch. And there are still hangovers from the "VFL & friends" way it all came together. And there probably are things that can be done better.

But let's try and stick to things that are feasible?

Half the draft each year is Victorian (46% IIRC). I think thats contributing their fair share to the player pool.

The AFL and its sponsors fund Auskick, the kickstart aboriginal program, ambassadors for life mentoring, the flying boomerangs, aboriginal academies, AFL Victoria, AFL NT, AFL NSW/ACT, AFLQ and AFL Tasmania. The AFL subsidises club insurance and supplies training for coaches and other staff, as well as granting funds for facilty upgrades. Oh and supplies limited funds for international development.

But lets run through it all for you. OF the leagues 650,000 members last year, more than 460,000 were Victorian. Of the leagues AFL members I believe all 58,000 were Victorian. Of the 7 million people through the gates, more than 5 million of them are Victorian. This year alone of the 27 million people who have watched the game on FTA tv, 54% are Victorian. And given fox penetration rates in WA and SA are much lower than Victoria, it has to be said that a good portion of the 18 million foxtel viewers the majority of those are going to be Victorian.

On TV audiences alone the amount of money victoria brings to the game dwarfs the WA and SA contribution to the AFL by a huge amount.

Half the draft each year is Victorian (46% IIRC). I think thats contributing their fair share to the player pool.

The AFL and its sponsors fund Auskick, the kickstart aboriginal program, ambassadors for life mentoring, the flying boomerangs, aboriginal academies, AFL Victoria, AFL NT, AFL NSW/ACT, AFLQ and AFL Tasmania. The AFL subsidises club insurance and supplies training for coaches and other staff, as well as granting funds for facilty upgrades. Oh and supplies limited funds for international development.

But lets run through it all for you. OF the leagues 650,000 members last year, more than 460,000 were Victorian. Of the leagues AFL members I believe all 58,000 were Victorian. Of the 7 million people through the gates, more than 5 million of them are Victorian. This year alone of the 27 million people who have watched the game on FTA tv, 54% are Victorian. And given fox penetration rates in WA and SA are much lower than Victoria, it has to be said that a good portion of the 18 million foxtel viewers the majority of those are going to be Victorian.

On TV audiences alone the amount of money victoria brings to the game dwarfs the WA and SA contribution to the AFL by a huge amount.

Wookie not sure where anyone has argued different to this? That is just simple maths, population!!!
So how would it benefit WA football to be run by Vlad and his dictatorship?
Be like selling your soul to the devil from where I sit.
I could just imgaine one of the WAFL clubs sending Vlad an email saying they need this or need that, the answer would be we don't have the money because we have given it to a young under 14's playing group. Find it yourself.
Then we will end up like the VFL, in complete disarray, a competition which doesn't stand for anything.

If it aint broke why fix it. The AFL should be wrapped that WA football is run so well. Can't speak for SA as they have other issues. It is never perfect anywhere. But the AFL running football in WA would be a disaster for the WAFL clubs, There is only 18 clubs that Vlad cares about and they are the 18 AFL clubs. Every other club in the country could die tomorrow and he would not blink an eyelid.

Wookie not sure where anyone has argued different to this? That is just simple maths, population!!!
I could just imgaine one of the WAFL clubs sending Vlad an email saying they need this or need that, the answer would be we don't have the money because we have given it to a young under 14's playing group. Find it yourself.
Then we will end up like the VFL, in complete disarray, a competition which doesn't stand for anything.

If it aint broke why fix it. The AFL should be wrapped that WA football is run so well. Can't speak for SA as they have other issues. It is never perfect anywhere. But the AFL running football in WA would be a disaster for the WAFL clubs, There is only 18 clubs that Vlad cares about and they are the 18 AFL clubs. Every other club in the country could die tomorrow and he would not blink an eyelid.

I was specifically responding to Kwalitys post about Victoria not paying its way.

The AFL doesnt need to step in to run WA or SA at the moment. It should be noted that the AFL has only taken over leagues that were pretty much broke, and AFL Victoria.

I was specifically responding to Kwalitys post about Victoria not paying its way.

The AFL doesnt need to step in to run WA or SA at the moment. It should be noted that the AFL has only taken over leagues that were pretty much broke, and AFL Victoria.

Which is the way it should be.

I would be unhappy if money were taken out of WA grassroots football and put into NSW.

I would be unhappy if money were taken out of WA grassroots football and put into NSW.

I reckon a correctly structured AFL commission is the right body to make that decision.

I could just imgaine one of the WAFL clubs sending Vlad an email saying they need this or need that, the answer would be we don't have the money because we have given it to a young under 14's playing group.
Paranoid much?

Why are WA's grassroots players more important than NSW's, Vic's, Tas' etc?
Why should that matter at all?
This sort of partisan, barracking, stuff is exactly why the national body needs to control the game.

WAFC ain't gunna do jack for the good of the game past their borders.

Most of that isn't even possible.
The AFL Vic (even the AFL) can't buy the MCG. Simply not possible. Necessary evil (I don't like it either).
The memberships is a different ball game, in WA fans simply have to have a membership to get a spot, for the majority of Vic clubs (even Collingwood most weeks) you can walk up every week. Which makes AFL memberships etc viable.

Changing the structure won't change that.

Purely from the way it's evolved, it's a hotch-potch. And there are still hangovers from the "VFL & friends" way it all came together. And there probably are things that can be done better.

But let's try and stick to things that are feasible?

I was explaining the WA model & comparing it with Vic footy - I am a real critic of the way the MCC management of the ground was extended, not going to public tender.

Is there nothing that can improve the AFL in your mind?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back