Injuries 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

which muppets were saying we had too many talls? Think G Lyon was the most recent.

Obviously forgot this is Freo, and 2/3rds will sit on the sidelines for the year.

More importantly, this may give us the chance to put our Dixon/Hogan/Lobb combo to the test which will later prove to be the best combination of tall forwards the world has ever seen.

I’d love to know the statistics but do we have a higher rate of soft tissue injuries than other clubs (in particular, calf, hamstring and quads)? And are we just s**t out of luck that they all happen to our best players at the same time? Surely Weber has to go.
I would love to see some stats on injury/recovery rates and how they compare across the AFL. I'm pretty sure given the way player injuries play out for fans psyche, it feels for most clubs that they have the worst record.

Still, it might not have been a bad time to try something new and part ways from Weber at the end of last season. Certainly Freo doesn't seem like they're in the upper echelon for injury prevention/management in the AFL and surely there's someone in the world they could feel comfortable with being able to take them to a more elite level S&C wise.

As proof crumpet face reads BigFooty. this morning he finally mentions questioning Jason Weber following repeat soft tissue injuries.

Hi Haggers!
Stop talking to yourself.

If all these soft tissue injuries aren't the fault of the S&C staff, then the club should be doing everything they can to work out what it is. Like, if the new ground's harder than they wanted, go train somewhere else. Or if it's training in the heat, move training to night sessions. Or if our players are just tight from building too much muscle, add in some more stretching/yoga/ballet or something.

This many soft tissue injuries over so many years now can't be just a coincidence.

Not sure about Harley nor about another half of our list, all with soft tissue injuries but the all important JLT series ladder has been released by AFL:
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-11/the-2019-jlt-ladder-whos-on-top-whos-on-bottom

We’re officially doomed...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well that explains why I feel so despondent. Even St Kilda are right up the top ffs while we wallow at 18th.

It's only JLT, It's only JLT.....must keep repeating this to myself for another 13 days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have faith shallow ones, Freo's shocking run with soft tissue injuries hasn't slipped past Steve Rosich's eagle eye.

In the great man's own words...
SR: As I said, we look at every aspect of our football operations every year. We have had some collision injuries this year, that are pretty hard to avoid and are unfortunate such as Nat Fyfe, Alex Pearce and the Sandilands situation, and we’ve had some soft tissue injuries especially in the lower leg area.

We analyse each and every injury when they occur, whether it’s at training or in a game so we’re doing that and we have a particular focus on our lower leg injuries with our pre-season, our load management and those sorts of things.

We’re talking to experts both nationally and internationally and that work is ongoing, so that we’re on top of it and ensuring that we’re first class in that area.

(Steve Rosich, 24 May 2016).

https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2016-05-24/steve-rosich-q-a-on-6pr

Ross Lyon is also all over the problem but has no doubt he has the right man in Jason Weber...
"Post the bye, for whatever reason, there's been a higher incidence of some soft-tissue and, I think, predominantly hamstring (injuries)," Lyon said.

"It can be as simple as training up here (at Optus Stadium), so the quality of our weights on our second session on our legs hasn't been the same, so there's been a cost to coming up here."

Freo has been ordinary since the bye, winning two games and losing six by an average of 65 points, and injury woes haven't helped the cause.

Lyon backed high performance manager Jason Weber to put a finger on the issue.

"Jason Weber coached the Wallabies (in strength and conditioning), there's no more qualified person in Australia and he's been with us eight years," Lyon said.

"Without being perfect, I'm sure that they'll drill in and present it up.

(Ross Lyon, 24 August 2018).

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-24/dockers-investigating-softtissue-issues

Well that explains why I feel so despondent. Even St Kilda are right up the top ffs while we wallow at 18th.

It's only JLT, It's only JLT.....must keep repeating this to myself for another 13 days.

I find a broad range of sporting interests helps me with being a Freo fan :huh:. There was some cracking moto GP races last night so I could forget about Rushton Park, next week there's F1 to cover the preseason bye, AFC Wimbledon ensures that I have an even spread of teams able to win less often than the Luna cycle and Kayo is helping me to polish up on both my Sumo and chess-boxing knowledge.

By the time the injury list hits 90% of all available players I'm quite likely to have a profound interest in a South Mongolian semipro wrestling league.

Ross Lyon is also all over the problem but has no doubt he has the right man in Jason Weber...
"Post the bye, for whatever reason, there's been a higher incidence of some soft-tissue and, I think, predominantly hamstring (injuries)," Lyon said.
Letting the cobblers do the cobblering no doubt.

I find a broad range of sporting interests helps me with being a Freo fan :huh:. There was some cracking moto GP races last night so I could forget about Rushton Park, next week there's F1 to cover the preseason bye, AFC Wimbledon ensures that I have an even spread of teams able to win less often than the Luna cycle and Kayo is helping me to polish up on both my Sumo and chess-boxing knowledge.

By the time the injury list hits 90% of all available players I'm quite likely to have a profound interest in a South Mongolian semipro wrestling league.

a profound interest in a South Mongolian semipro wrestling league.

Nah I tried that but their injury updates were appalling: Genghis Khan, fall from horse, TBA

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Have faith shallow ones, Freo's shocking run with soft tissue injuries hasn't slipped past Steve Rosich's eagle eye.

In the great man's own words...
SR: As I said, we look at every aspect of our football operations every year. We have had some collision injuries this year, that are pretty hard to avoid and are unfortunate such as Nat Fyfe, Alex Pearce and the Sandilands situation, and we’ve had some soft tissue injuries especially in the lower leg area.

We analyse each and every injury when they occur, whether it’s at training or in a game so we’re doing that and we have a particular focus on our lower leg injuries with our pre-season, our load management and those sorts of things.

We’re talking to experts both nationally and internationally and that work is ongoing, so that we’re on top of it and ensuring that we’re first class in that area.
(Steve Rosich, 24 May 2016).

https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2016-05-24/steve-rosich-q-a-on-6pr

"It can be as simple as training up here (at Optus Stadium), so the quality of our weights on our second session on our legs hasn't been the same, so there's been a cost to coming up here."

Freo has been ordinary since the bye, winning two games and losing six by an average of 65 points, and injury woes haven't helped the cause.

Lyon backed high performance manager Jason Weber to put a finger on the issue.

"Jason Weber coached the Wallabies (in strength and conditioning), there's no more qualified person in Australia and he's been with us eight years," Lyon said.

"Without being perfect, I'm sure that they'll drill in and present it up.
(Ross Lyon, 24 August 2018).

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-24/dockers-investigating-softtissue-issues
I'm assuming Weber reports to Bell doesn't he? Meaning he used to report to Lloyd? Hopefully Bell can get a feather in his cap by fixing our perpetual soft tissue crisis. This isn't an issue for Lyon to deal with, it never has been. I would be throwing my toys out of the cot behind closed doors if I were him.

I'm also going to go out on a limb and say rugby probably isn't one of the sports where soft tissue injuries have a major incidence?

JLT means nothing.

My friend (a WC supporter) wanted us to beat WC by 62 points. Because in their last two premiership season we beat them by 62 in the preseason comp.

So a JLT loss is meaningless. The injuries we coped were not.

glory be Karl Langdon reporting Billy has actually torn his calf and it’s not a cork.

We’re f$&ked!

If that is true we need to release findings of this review ASAP and if there hasn’t been a proper thorough review get an external consultant and overhaul the whole S & C team. It is becoming ludicrous and a definite coach killer. If I remember correctly was a contributing factor to Mark Harvey being given the lemon and sarse.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back