Injuries 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Well this sucks. Tabs is out for 8-10 weeks. Tall forwards left are lobb and Hogan and Dixon. Medium talls left are McCarthy and Cox

Darcy is out for a month. That means our ruck stocks are Lobb, Jones and Meek.
I’d give Dixon a go. But not until round 19-22. He’s a good competitive guy just a little bit behind in development.

Can’t kick goals now, have to structure better without Tabs. That forces us to be more unpredictable.

I’d give Dixon a go. But not until round 19-22. He’s a good competitive guy just a little bit behind in development.

Can’t kick goals now, have to structure better without Tabs. That forces us to be more unpredictable.
To be honest, I am surprised he didn't get a debut game late last year. We were not exact spoilt for choice last year.

We didn't have hogan and Lobb.

Apeness was injury prone, So was tabs. McCarthy got automatic games. Cox was rotated. Kersten wasn't setting the world on fire either

Dixon was serviceable in the WAFL last year. He was having some good games In the 2nd half of the season. Surprised we didn't let him debut him in a home game last year vs West coast or Carlton or in the final home game of the season vs Collingwood.

To be honest, I am surprised he didn't get a debut game late last year. We were not exact spoilt for choice last year.

We didn't hogan and Lobb.

Apeness was injury prone, So was tabs. McCarthy got automatic games. Cox was rotated.

Dixon was serviceable in the WAFL last year. He was having some good games In the 2nd half of the season. Surprised we didn't let him debut him in a home game last year vs West coast or Carlton or in the final home game of the season vs Collingwood.
Same. Obviously this season we re trying to make the finals, or close to. But now if this season falls away, with Brisbane and Collingwood. Have to ask, after the bye, do we just play him? Develop , give him a sniff. Cox got that chance. Have no confidence in McCarthy. Lobb is going to burn out being the number 1 ruck.
That decision to dump Apeness and Nads is gong down wel

Same. Obviously this season we re trying to make the finals, or close to. But now if this season falls away, with Brisbane and Collingwood. Have to ask, after the bye, do we just play him? Develop , give him a sniff. Cox got that chance. Have no confidence in McCarthy. Lobb is going to burn out being the number 1 ruck.
Another bloke I was slightly surprised that didn't get a debut game was tom North.

He was averaging 20-25 disposals a game for 4-5 weeks and I reckon he should of got game v cam Sutcliffe and Sheridan.

You have no Confidence in Cam Mcarthy? Shock to me.

Had that 5 goal game v North. I don't mind Lobb gets double teamed if that meant McCarthy kicks 3-5 goals.

I personally wanted to give Luke Strnadica one more year.

I am willing to Give Scott Jones or Meek a game this week if that prevents Lobb being a sole ruckman again

Another bloke I was slightly surprised that didn't get a debut game was tom North.

He was averaging 20-25 disposals a game for 4-5 weeks and I reckon he should of got game v cam Sutcliffe and Sheridan.

Had that 5 goal game v North. I don't mind Lobb gets double teamed if that meant McCarthy kicks 3-5 goals.

I am willing to Give Scott Jones or Meek a game this week if that prevents Lobb being a sole ruckman again

It was on the Blakely podcast that Apeness rocked up to preseason training early and raring to go. About 1 week or so into PS training suffered another knee injury and decided to call it quits.

He retired and wasn’t delisted.

Nads was delisted but his fitness isn’t up to scratch. I agree that Meeks and Jones are at about the same level but unlucky for Nads they had a contract and only fair really as Nads got 2 years to show that his fitness didn’t improve.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It was on the Blakely podcast that Apeness rocked up to preseason training early and raring to go. About 1 week or so into PS training suffered another knee injury and decided to call it quits.

Nads was delisted but his fitness isn’t up to scratch. I agree that Meeks and Jones are at about the same level but unlucky for Nads they had a contract and only fair really as Nads got 2 years to show that his fitness didn’t improve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dockers strength and conditioning coach Jason Weber said Taberner’s injury had probably built over a couple of weeks but had reared its head on the Marvel Stadium surface.
“It’s the first time we’ve become aware of it, he’s had an MRI and it’s been diagnosed and it’s going to be quite a number of weeks at this point,” he said.
“It is the same foot (as his injury in 2018) and while it’s not specifically related to that incident, it’s undeniable that a mixture of his particular mechanics in running and the nature of the job he does and where he does it, have combined to produce another stress reaction.”

Sucks. Built up over time. Guessing he probably had pain but pushed through it.

We are not going to announce it at a press conference like the spankers down the road but The number of foot injuries of this type does lead to a problem with the surface at the craypot- I doubt Sydney would bring Buddy back here(when he is fit to play again)
Tabs having it both years we’ve been at the ground.. no coincidence. Noticed the game was bumpy, uneven during the Perth Glory GF.

McCarthy have had the benefit of playing third tall/medium forward with Hogan and Tabs. Not only that, he regressed back to his poor form and manages minimal impact. So unless he makes a consistent 2-3 goal effort, no cannot have confidence in him. Knows he has to turn up, and even at Peel level he’s off the pace. His credits are shrinking, fast.

North tbh should get a chance this week. Cerra should be rested but two more games then bye, so probably going to be pushed through the next fortnight. Tom North is something interesting. Reckon he could slot in no worries.

We are not going to announce it at a press conference like the spankers down the road but The number of foot injuries of this type does lead to a problem with the surface at the craypot- I doubt Sydney would bring Buddy back here(when he is fit to play again)
Look at the Melbourne blokes from the weekend, Salem and Smith both probably wouldn’t have been concussed on a softer surface

I think there is too much variability between people and incidents to weigh probability, unless we are talking about concrete and foam gym flooring.

Taberner's issue is more likely to come from his movement/mechanics putting load through somewhere it isn't adapted to. Plenty of people have bad running actions by the way but your body is so good at getting efficient at it that you don't see the results until you're putting a serious amount of work through your body, like an AFL player. He has been tight in the hips the last few weeks so whether this resulted in his stride being impaired so his weight has launched from more midfoot than towards the toes or landed differently (which is where I'd expect more damage to be done), who knows.

Whether that calf that has been heavily bandaged all season has caused the imbalance in running that caused his tight hips/groin from compensating, who knows.

All our players are carrying something by the mid season break.

Last edited:
I think there is too much variability between people and incidents to weigh probability, unless we are talking about concrete and foam gym flooring.

Taberner's issue is more likely to come from his movement/mechanics putting load through somewhere it isn't adapted to. Plenty of people have bad running actions by the way but your body is so good at getting efficient at it that you don't see the results until you're putting a serious amount of work through your body, like an AFL player. He has been tight in the hips the last few weeks so whether this resulted in his stride being impaired so his weight has launched from more midfoot than towards the toes or landed differently (which is where I'd expect more damage to be done), who knows.

Whether that calf that has been heavily bandaged all season has caused the imbalance in running that caused his tight hips/groin from compensating, who knows.

All our players are carrying something by the mid season break.

“It is the same foot (as his injury in 2018) and while it’s not specifically related to that incident, it’s undeniable that a mixture of his particular mechanics in running and the nature of the job he does and where he does it, have combined to produce another stress reaction.”

I took this at a sly dig at the deck at home

Sounds like some mismanagement with Taberner. Maybe the ground has something to do with it, and maybe Tabs is not telling anyone he is sore, but the fitness staff have to carry a lot of the blame as well. He's done this before and it seems like they haven't been monitoring it properly, and haven't tried to address his running mechanics.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back