Science/Environment Insects in decline-Dire consequences for nature.

Remove this Banner Ad

I am trained in biology mate. Are you?

This is metadata of a series of narrow analysis, and you have to convincingly show me how human interaction has played a role here.
Are you seriously saying human interaction and insecticides have played no part here? GMAB Snake!

No, I am not.

The idea of insecticides is to kill or negate insects that are detrimental to the benefit of humans. Generally, they are good things.

We are the apex species and we call the shots.

No, I am not.

The idea of insecticides is to kill or negate insects that are detrimental to the benefit of humans. Generally, they are good things.

We are the apex species and we call the shots.
Get off the thread troll.Why do campaigners like you do the dirty work of the Murdochs? Is it just your hatred of the so called left? Go back to the footy threads champ.

Have a look what Forrest Galante (Biologist and Wildlife adventurer) says about scientific research and funding from about 4mins in this video.

Highly informative and interesting by the way with Joe Rogan if you watch the whole podcast, one of his best of late, Galante is great and has a passion for bringing animals back from the brink of extinction.

Get off the thread troll.Why do campaigners like you do the dirty work of the Murdochs? Is it just your hatred of the so called left? Go back to the footy threads champ.

Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

You should probably focus on this sentence in the abstract and get a working handle on evolution:

1549943793044.png

Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

You should probably focus on this sentence in the abstract and get a working handle on evolution:

View attachment 618262
Classic stuff Shake Faker, you've learnt well from the school of Andrew Bolt- mix in a small bit of truth with 90% fake news and then say 'case closed '.You can do better. Why not accept the evidence as a whole? What is your motivation?

I'm glad I didn't bother providing any deeper analysis. Bye.
Seeya thanks for adding absolutely zero to this discussion."We are the apex species and we call the shots" - some of your best work right there champ.

Rubbish mate,the same article is in every proper newspaper,you can't exaggerate scientific data,it's black and white.They measure something and write down the results.You're confusing scientists with politicians.
By that logic, no scientific study has ever been wrong? What about the tens of thousands of studies out there that contradict the results of one another?

In this case it is quite possibly legit, but saying that we should show zero scepticism to scientific studies is a bit extreme.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By that logic, no scientific study has ever been wrong? What about the tens of thousands of studies out there that contradict the results of one another?

In this case it is quite possibly legit, but saying that we should show zero scepticism to scientific studies is a bit extreme.
So you reckon they made it all up? Lol It's a global study with thousands of individual papers done in a rigorous method with no vested interests .I would question research commissioned by the coal lobby as they are paying dodgy scientists for a preferred outcome.So what would you do with this report if you were king of the world?

So you reckon they made it all up? Lol It's a global study with thousands of individual papers done in a rigorous method with no vested interests .I would question research commissioned by the coal lobby as they are paying dodgy scientists for a preferred outcome.So what would you do with this report if you were king of the world?
Well you went from scientific reporting being factually black and white, to at least admitting that some studies are compromised. We're making progress here m8!

The coal lobby can cherry pick (or flat out corrupt) studies in order to reach a conclusion that is financially beneficial to them. Is it possible that other industries could do the same?

Well you went from scientific reporting being factually black and white, to at least admitting that some studies are compromised. We're making progress here m8!

The coal lobby can cherry pick (or flat out corrupt) studies in order to reach a conclusion that is financially beneficial to them. Is it possible that other industries could do the same?

Endangered species lobbyists and scientists do it all the time.

M8, there's plenty of anecdotal evidence of researchers exaggerating things. If they scare people enough, they can secure 10 years of funding in a cushy job that they enjoy. If they fail to find anything, the money dries up.

That's not to say that there is not a genuine problem, it's just that the emotional and sensationalist language used is unnecessary. The Guardian discussing climate science are about as objective as Eddie McGuire commentating a Collingwood game. It's their religion m8. As an intellectual, I am insulted!

In my own personal experience the researchers i worked with didn't use scare tactics to get research funding. I Worked with the DPI in catchment management for 6 years and we were lucky to get 2 years funding per project and it sure as hell wasn't cushy.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0006320718313636?via=ihub

Seems pretty well researched and cities 73 reports. some of the abstract. Biodiversity of insects is threatened worldwide. Here, we present a comprehensive review of 73 historical reports of insect declines from across the globe, and systematically assess the underlying drivers. Our work reveals dramatic rates of decline that may lead to the extinctionof 40% of the world's insect species over the next few decades.

How do they go from decline of a species to extinction?

The 2.5% rate of annual loss over the last 25-30 years is “shocking”, Sánchez-Bayo told the Guardian: “It is very rapid. In 10 years you will have a quarter less, in 50 years only half left and in 100 years you will have none.​

Huh?

How do they go from decline of a species to extinction?

The 2.5% rate of annual loss over the last 25-30 years is “shocking”, Sánchez-Bayo told the Guardian: “It is very rapid. In 10 years you will have a quarter less, in 50 years only half left and in 100 years you will have none.​

Huh?
The forum’s denialist makes an appearance!

I didn't even know insect extinction denialism was a thing.

Still confused about the maths though. How does 2.5% loss per annum become no insects?

Clearly there's a need for insect farms all over Asia. If they taste like lobster I'm all for it.
Without reading the paper, I assume there is a critical mass of insect population that is like an event horizon - go past it and you can't bring it back. Also, the extinction claim is based on their prediction of the trend - that will obviously change when something in the environment changes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back