Podcast Inside The Kennel: New Player Interviews!

Remove this Banner Ad

Inside The Kennel

Senior List
Nov 8, 2022
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Get your fill of our epic collection of Footscray/Western Bulldogs Past Player Interviews here. We are working to preserve the stories of our stars to make it the best podcast series of all AFL Clubs.

I thought I'd consolidate our Past Player interviews to one thread, so they can all be accessed here. I will continue to add them as they drop over the years...

The Bulldog Channel also has lots of other content from Training Videos to Match Analysis. Dougie Hawkins is our Kennel Master special comments co-host and joins myself and Paul Howard. Be sure to check out all content here subscribe: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM0H1em3LEnlDiEZVr0TqOw

Alternatively, click one of your favorite players to hear their interview and journey:

Episode 1: Doug Hawkins

Episode 2: Clay Smith

Episode 3: Simon Beasley

Episode 4: Ray Walker

Here is our latest Interview, released January 11th, 2023 - Terry Wallace

This is a MUST SEE for all Bulldog supporters, as The Plough opens up about many topics, including the merger, his 'Spew Up' spray, the 1997 Prelim and the best players he coached and played with in his 14 years at the kennel. Enjoy!

Keep up the great work Matt and Paul. These podcasts are fantastic trips back to memory lane and are much welcomed during the off-season in particular when news from the kennel is sparse. As an older supporter I really enjoyed the recent interview with Ray Walker with his great insights into the club and the players during the 1960s when I first attended games at the Western Oval. I like the inclusion of photos and graphics during the interviews which is possibly something that could be developed further in future interviews. This certainly helps to break up the Zoom-like presentation of the 3 faces on screen for 1 hour. Well done boys. Look forward to future instalments.

Last edited:

A few interview suggestions for players that I haven't heard from;

Jim Sewell
Andrew Purser
Lally Bamblett
Simon Atkins
Brian Royal
Matthew Dent
Jim Edmond

A few interview suggestions for players that I haven't heard from;

Jim Sewell
Andrew Purser
Lally Bamblett
Simon Atkins
Brian Royal
Matthew Dent
Jim Edmond

Magic McLean
Rick Kennedy

Maybe a captains series ….. all past captains ?

Hey mate, I’m loving the interviews you’re doing, great stuff especially in the footy starved off season. Just wondering if you’ve ever thought about doing an audio only version for platforms like Spotify?

Personally I find it hard to find the time to watch a video, but am in the car regularly listening to podcasts while commuting.

Hey mate, I’m loving the interviews you’re doing, great stuff especially in the footy starved off season. Just wondering if you’ve ever thought about doing an audio only version for platforms like Spotify?

Personally I find it hard to find the time to watch a video, but am in the car regularly listening to podcasts while commuting.
Glad you are enjoying them. How good is The Plough! We just interviewed John Schultz last night, so I will share next Tuesday.

We can do an audio-only version and have spoken about it. I personally love the visual element, but understand that some prefer to listen while on the move. In the mean time, can you play you tube through your car system so you just listen?

Here is our latest Interview, released January 11th, 2023 - Terry Wallace

This is a MUST SEE for all Bulldog supporters, as The Plough opens up about many topics, including the merger, his 'Spew Up' spray, the 1997 Prelim and the best players he coached and played with in his 14 years at the kennel. Enjoy!

I hated it when Wallace left the Bulldogs as coach but I always liked him... even after he left.
He was the ultimate professional in a tough, 'old school' footballer's body.
I get the impression that he had a massive target on his back as a player.
Hearing him speak in that interview it seems he was always in the firing line.

The Grinter incident was one of the greatest acts of thuggery on a football field.
For Plough to play the next week is just insane and speaks volumes of his level of toughness... and as he said in this interview, he did it to win over the club and the supporters.
He is undoubtably one of the greats

Last edited:
I hated it when Wallace left the Bulldogs as coach but I always liked him... even after he left.
He was the ultimate professional in a tough, 'old school' footballer's body.
I get the impression that he had a massive target on his back as a player.
Hearing him speak in that interview it seems he was always in the firing line.

The Grinter incident was one of the greatest acts of thuggery on a football field.
For Plough to play the next week is just insane and speaks volumes of his level of toughness... and as he said in this interview, he did it to win over the club and the supporters.
He is undoubtably one of the greats
Yes courage was off the scale. He was great to watch.

Don't miss this interview with Bulldog Legend John Schultz!​

Gentleman John shares his amazing journey from his arrival in 1958 to winning the Brownlow and five Charles Sutton Medals, representing Victoria 24 times, meeting the Queen and handing over the 2016 Premiership Cup to Easton, Bob and Bevo!...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gentleman John shares his amazing journey from his arrival in 1958 to winning the Brownlow and five Charles Sutton Medals, representing Victoria 24 times, meeting the Queen and handing over the 2016 Premiership Cup to Easton, Bob and Bevo!...

A wonderful, insightful interview with a Bulldog champion. John is an icon of our club folklore. As a kid I remember entering the Arden Street oval with my parents in the 60's and without prompting, John said: "Hello, how are you?" Doesn't seem a big deal but it has stuck in my mind ever since and epitomises the type of person he is.
You guys are providing us with a fantastic catalogue of Bulldog history. Keep them coming!

Another awesome show guys, simply love listening to these. They are a must for anyone who loves the RW&B.....

Need more BigFooty love, get onboard everyone!!!

He's still there every week. Love this quiet legend.

Strap yourself in for a wild ride! Steve MacPherson is in the hot-seat for our latest episode of Inside The Kennel - and in true Supa-style, he does not hold back!​

Last edited:
Another fantastic interview, great to hear from Steve. Could have spoken to him for hours I reckon. Interesting that he described Terry Wheeler as a "phenomenal coach," but didn't really say much about Mick Malthouse. Maybe they had a few runs ins, remember a time Malthouse singled him out after a loss and Steve wasn't very happy about it. Played very well in 92, shame he was injured a fair bit after that. A great Bulldogs man!

Another fantastic interview, great to hear from Steve. Could have spoken to him for hours I reckon. Interesting that he described Terry Wheeler as a "phenomenal coach," but didn't really say much about Mick Malthouse. Maybe they had a few runs ins, remember a time Malthouse singled him out after a loss and Steve wasn't very happy about it. Played very well in 92, shame he was injured a fair bit after that. A great Bulldogs man!
Sometimes it is what isn't said that can be telling. In any case, Supa was respectful and positive about everyone he spoke about and has so much love for the club and our people.

We spoke for an additional hour and every moment was a pleasure and an insight into the Club. I feel very fortunate to be speaking with our players and hearing their tales. I have an absolute cracker that I am releasing next Wednesday! Stay tuned and thanks for the support Gordo and Crew!

I've always felt Wheeler was underrated as a coach and perhaps hard done by. I wish he had coached us for a few more seasons.
Another great Bulldogs man.

All the past players seem to love him. Supa says he sat goals that were specific and clear. Simplified the process to empower them. Good approach.

Hey all don’t forget to like the videos on YouTube when your watching. I know it helps content creators a lot. They are well worth it and think it helps people like ITK keep up the effort and time. Love to see the channel explode. Been great, and with Dougie giving his time as well is unbelievable. Keep up the good work guys.
PS, one suggestion would love The Hawk being part of interview.

New Inside The Kennel Podcast! 1980's young gun Alister Ford takes us on his journey in the red, white and blue for the most incredibly unique pathway to League Footy ever!

Don't miss our EPIC Tom Boyd Interview!!

With one thunderous blow, Tom Boyd delivered us a premiership and became an instant icon of our Club. His story is an incredible one, from his early years as a hulking junior and phenomenal rise to the Number One Draft pick, to his ground-breaking trade to the kennel and ultimate status as a BullGOD. Enjoy this incredible ride...​

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back