Welcome to the Kennel Oskar Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

Count me among the doubting d*ckheads too.

I wonder why it didn't work out for him at Melbourne? I know they have a couple of good 'uns ahead of him but they didn't even keep him for depth. Did they exceed the ginger cap, perhaps?

On the other hand we at least have a fair idea why Hunter left. We've effectively swapped wings with them. Hunter in form is the better player but Baker is four years younger.
I suspect it's a bit like Lipinski with us. We valued him as a clubman but couldn't slot him into the position he needed, so we're not unhappy to move him on, as much for his benefit as anything.

He was very good last night. I thought the knock on him was his disposal? His skills seem fine in the games he's played so far. It might just be a case of more composure with age and experience.

Ticking along nicely and it looks like he’s putting in the effort to not waste a 2nd chance. Some of his kicks last night were very composed, loved his goal last night after sending someone off for a hot dog.

Also not afraid to do some dirty work and fly the flag for his teammates, something we currently lack a little bit that I hate

Yeah I’m loving Bakers game at the moment - last night was genuinely very good. Definitely proving me wrong, has a serious eye for the goals and more importantly his pressure and intent is great. Very very happy to be wrong on this one, hope he keeps it up and makes me look like the right dickhead I am

Baker has a bit of a mongrel about him. There was one occasion last night where the ball went over the boundary line, he looked at his opponent gritted his teeth, pretended to lunge and the Brions player flinched and backed off.

May have been a one off but 3-4 times when pressed tight against the boundary he squared the ball to the perfect height/space 15m in front of goal. Toughest position on the ground to defend.

Last edited:
He was very good last night. I thought the knock on him was his disposal? His skills seem fine in the games he's played so far. It might just be a case of more composure with age and experience.
It's weird as many Dees fans talked about his disposal as bad, but pre-draft it was noted as an asset.
I thought the way he kicked in the front half of the ground was quite good last night.

Loving the addition of this guy. Seems to be happy at the club and has some much needed campaigner about him out there.

Cheers Dees!
Did anyone else see him do a little snarl, teeth snap at one of the lions players after there was a bit of a scuffle near the boundary?

I like him - i think he's a bit of a loose unit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ALOT of Demons posters on here were very upset when they let Baker go, and i can see why. They have plenty ahead of him for the position, and honestly right now his doing better than Hunter was for us last season.

Right now, we came out ahead on this one. Really loving what he brings to the team.
The bloke kicks to the right spots too, not like Hunter.

Agree with all of the earlier comments. I'll admit I doubted the wisdom of his recruitment, but at this stage he's looking like a pretty good get.

I noticed last week that he was probably the one "small" who was running on top of the ground.
At least 3 times he ran forward, got out on his own into scoring positions calling for it, only to be ignored twice by the ball carriers.
I don't say much at games, but I was screaming, "get it to Baker!!!". When they got it to him, he marked and goaled.

Couldn't help thinking he was a step ahead of some of our blokes. Glad to have him in the side.

Agree with all of the earlier comments. I'll admit I doubted the wisdom of his recruitment, but at this stage he's looking like a pretty good get.

I noticed last week that he was probably the one "small" who was running on top of the ground.
At least 3 times he ran forward, got out on his own into scoring positions calling for it, only to be ignored twice by the ball carriers.
I don't say much at games, but I was screaming, "get it to Baker!!!". When they got it to him, he marked and goaled.

Couldn't help thinking he was a step ahead of some of our blokes. Glad to have him in the side.
I thought his positioning was pretty good. Filled up space on defence and in attacking positions when we had the ball. I had low expectations when he joined as there was a lot of negativity on the site but they are certainly higher now. Also love that he has some fire in his belly as others have noted.

Baker is a more damaging player than Hunter with the penetration on his kicking. Hunter a higher accumulation but less impact.

For a free hit Baker is a solid contributor that brings a strong point of difference.

His speed to break the lines and ability to close down space is a valuable contribution . Also doesn't hurt that he would be on minimum chips, smart acquisition by S Power

He reminds me very much of Phil Maylan in both looks and his playing style. May well be our best recruit for a couple of years.

EFA. Sorry grassman75, Just saw your previous post. We are on the same page though. And yes, Maylan was known as "Shark Attack".

I suspect it's a bit like Lipinski with us. We valued him as a clubman but couldn't slot him into the position he needed, so we're not unhappy to move him on, as much for his benefit as anything.
Professionalism was a problem, he liked the nightclub circuit abit too much. Maybe the delisting was a wake up call.

From someone who hanged out at the same places. He was surprised he was picked up by us as he and other Dees reserves players definitely knew how to have a very good time.

good on him for turning it around.

From someone who hanged out at the same places. He was surprised he was picked up by us as he and other Dees reserves players definitely knew how to have a very good time.

good on him for turning it around.
They also know how to win, so not complaining.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back