Welcome to the Bulldogs Ryley "Colonel" Sanders

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely love Sanders and he couldn't have been anymore impressive to date.

One small thing I've noticed during match sim and against the Hawks is in tight congestion/under tackle pressure he always tries to release the ball by hand, occasionally causing a turnover.

Libba is the absolute master of being able to assess if releasing the footy in those circumstances will be advantageous for the team, or whether we require holding the ball in to create another stoppage.

I'm sure it will come with time and further physical development, to be able/have the confidence to take hits and hard tackles.

My thoughts about Ryley are absolutely get excited, however temper expectations a little for the upcoming season while he's finding his feet against mature AFL bodies. He's a natural footballer, incredibly smart and just knows where to run to find the ball, so he'll naturally get a lot of it when he's played in a position where he's not being bashed around for 4 quarters. He played more of an outside role on the weekend allowing him to use those traits, however in close he was outmuscled a couple of times which i'd expect from a first year player. He will absolutely end up an inside bull if we want him to play that role, but I think we're best suited to playing him as an outside mid / HBF this year to allow him to use his smarts and disposal rather than expecting him to be bursting out of stoppages and scrapping with Libba. We've got ourselves an absolute jet here, but I think we're a year or two away from him tearing games apart in a dangerfield / fyfe fashion.

My thoughts about Ryley are absolutely get excited, however temper expectations a little for the upcoming season while he's finding his feet against mature AFL bodies. He's a natural footballer, incredibly smart and just knows where to run to find the ball, so he'll naturally get a lot of it when he's played in a position where he's not being bashed around for 4 quarters. He played more of an outside role on the weekend allowing him to use those traits, however in close he was outmuscled a couple of times which i'd expect from a first year player. He will absolutely end up an inside bull if we want him to play that role, but I think we're best suited to playing him as an outside mid / HBF this year to allow him to use his smarts and disposal rather than expecting him to be bursting out of stoppages and scrapping with Libba. We've got ourselves an absolute jet here, but I think we're a year or two away from him tearing games apart in a dangerfield / fyfe fashion.

Similar to Jack Macrae I think. Spent plenty of time on flanks and wings early on. Wonā€™t stop Sanders getting a ton of the ball, like it didnā€™t stop Macrae.

Yep, and footy is also full of examples of players who were very impressive in their first year and while they solidified themselves at AFL level, there wasn't necessarily levels of improvement that we see with other teenagers or they don't become superstars of the game.

For example, care to guess what the expectation was of Dyson Heppell's rest of his career after his first year where he won the Rising Star and was solidly part of Essendon's midfield? Not a bad career by any stretch but I guess people would have predicted more out of his career from the early stages of his career to what it has ended up being. He only has 61 total Brownlow votes, for example, across an entire career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, and footy is also full of examples of players who were very impressive in their first year and while they solidified themselves at AFL level, there wasn't necessarily levels of improvement that we see with other teenagers or they don't become superstars of the game.

For example, care to guess what the expectation was of Dyson Heppell's rest of his career after his first year where he won the Rising Star and was solidly part of Essendon's midfield? Not a bad career by any stretch but I guess people would have predicted more out of his career from the early stages of his career to what it has ended up being. He only has 61 total Brownlow votes, for example, across an entire career.
I remember in Cooney's first year we were playing Geelong and Kane Tenace (I think pick 10) was playing well and Geelong supporters near me were chanting 'Where's Cooney?' They would have disappointed wives/partners.

There isn't any Tassie fear from both camps
He will stay long term
Sanders was boarding in Melbourne so I think as far as poaching goes, McKercher is a bigger risk (but his run & spread is incredible, hence he went before Sanders)

There isn't any Tassie fear from both camps
He will stay long term
Hope you are right.

Even if true right now the record contract amounts likely to be offered could still change his mind.

Sanders was boarding in Melbourne so I think as far as poaching goes, McKercher is a bigger risk (but his run & spread is incredible, hence he went before Sanders)
McKercher is fine
He's about to sign a big extension

We all know that the precedent has been set with the Naughton contract. Here's how it will play out:
Day before our round 1 game - club announces 10yr contract for Jamarra - he goes on to kick 7 in a BOG performance.
Week leading up to round 2 - club announces Sanders has signed a 12yr extension. Earns the RS nomination.
Week leading up to round 3 - Sam Darcy's younger brother signs 14yr contract.

Sam Power is going to turn the competition on its head by making long-term contracts the norm. We are again the pacesetters of the competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back