Welcome to the Bulldogs Ryley "Colonel" Sanders

Remove this Banner Ad

the enormous AFL sponsored bag of cash will be on offer for the tassie boys. Is there any doubt about that?
Yep, all the money they saved by outsmarting the state and Fed govt as usual and not having to pay for an AFL-ready stadium themselves.

I don't think we should sweat too much about Sanders leaving at this stage.

When Eagles and Crows entered the comp, many WA an SA players were given big offers to return.

Many chose to, many didn't.

Like any player, if Sanders is unhappy he'll move on. If we look after him, he is every chance of staying.

I don't think we should sweat too much about Sanders leaving at this stage.

When Eagles and Crows entered the comp, many WA an SA players were given big offers to return.

Many chose to, many didn't.

Like any player, if Sanders is unhappy he'll move on. If we look after him, he is every chance of staying.

Murray Rance, Tony McGuinness, Kym Koster.

Unfortunately cost us significantly in both cases of new clubs
  • if Murray played 100 games with us, we could have had Alex
  • McGuinness would've been handy in 94/95 finals, and Koster in 97/98
Anyway, I broadly agree with your underlying point - plus as others have said, Sanders is from the north, and a Hobart-based entity may not appeal to him. Depends how strongly he feels about representing his state I suppose, if that's even a consideration. Hopefully his satisfaction with us eliminates that anyway.

Murray Rance, Tony McGuinness, Kym Koster.

Unfortunately cost us significantly in both cases of new clubs
  • if Murray played 100 games with us, we could have had Alex
  • McGuinness would've been handy in 94/95 finals, and Koster in 97/98
Anyway, I broadly agree with your underlying point - plus as others have said, Sanders is from the north, and a Hobart-based entity may not appeal to him. Depends how strongly he feels about representing his state I suppose, if that's even a consideration. Hopefully his satisfaction with us eliminates that anyway.
That is true, but we weren't a very prosperous, well managed club in the late 1980s, so were always going to struggle to retain players with good offers. Hopefully, we are a bit more attractive these days.

That is true, but we weren't a very prosperous, well managed club in the late 1980s, so were always going to struggle to retain players with good offers. Hopefully, we are a bit more attractive these days.

McGuinness did say later at one stage he regretted not staying in hindsight. Hawk has stated he was happy to stand aside and give Freddie the captaincy if he stayed - not sure how true that is though.

Koster got hit by at least some karma (allegedly) - one of his early games for Crows in Adelaide, his car still had Vic plates. After the game he came out to find it damaged by feral Crows supporters. (Not sure that one is entirely true either, as I've heard competing claims about whether it was another ex-Vic player's car, or AFL official who drove over for the game, but sounds believable. 😆)

Definitely not getting ahead of myself and keeping a very tight lid on it but has any first year player, or any player for that matter, won the Brownlow, the AFLPA MVP, the Rising Star, the Coleman Medal, the Charles Sutton Medal and AA selection in his first year?

Kelvin Templeton :)

Definitely not getting ahead of myself and keeping a very tight lid on it but has any first year player, or any player for that matter, won the Brownlow, the AFLPA MVP, the Rising Star, the Coleman Medal, the Charles Sutton Medal and AA selection in his first year?
You forgot to include a premiership player, winning the Norm Smith and Gary Ayers medals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard that Riley has moved in with Mitch Hannan. Good to see ex players helping out.
Mitch is more than likely involved in our VFL program. He was really highly regarded in relation to his ability to make connections so it wouldn’t be hard to see him in a coaching or welfare space for Footscray. Could see him coupling this with having a kick (a skill in which he is very proficient at VFL level).

Paying $1.01
And $11 for the Rising Star.
Harley Reid is $2.75, Sam Darcy $13.

Not that I encourage gambling. I just thought I'd post that for the benefit of anyone here who might happen to be on the Rising Star voting panel.

Not that I encourage gambling. I just thought I'd post that for the benefit of anyone here who might happen to be on the Rising Star voting panel.

Don’t be such a ****King idiot 😉😁

You can get slightly better odds on Betfair for those who want to share the thrill with me.

1706301493193.png

It's cool reading back over the first 40 pages of this thread when Ryley was just starting out. The signs were promising from the beginning. I knew we had someone special early days but never did I expect ten years later he'd be a four time Brownlow Medallist, six time All Australian, Australian of the Year, and dual premiership captain with a couple of Norm Smith Medals to boot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back