Welcome to the Bulldogs Aiden O’Driscoll

Remove this Banner Ad

47 games to go to match the most games in the #37 held by Roarke Smith

Any word on when this lad might start getting back into training, and then, hopefully, games? Would love to get a good solid chunk in this season to get a look in - but very concerning as still sited as indefinite due to concussion

Any word on when this lad might start getting back into training, and then, hopefully, games? Would love to get a good solid chunk in this season to get a look in - but very concerning as still sited as indefinite due to concussion

Caleb gets a bit of ribbing about his hat, but it would have helped this situation quite a bit.

Caleb gets a bit of ribbing about his hat, but it would have helped this situation quite a bit.
They say helmets don't really help with concussion, only with superficial injuries. Cricketers wear stronger helmets but still get concussion. It depends on the power of the blow that hits the head.

It must have been quite a knock that O'Driscoll got (accidentally, from Oskar Baker I believe) but they are right to give him a few months to get over it. He's got a whole career ahead of him, hopefully.

Yes, concussions are typically caused by the movement of the brain within the skull. The acceleration and deceleration causes tearing of the delicate tissues and can make it vulnerable to impact with the inside of the skull. There's no evidence helmets really help, and also no reason why they would.

Yes, concussions are typically caused by the movement of the brain within the skull. The acceleration and deceleration causes tearing of the delicate tissues and can make it vulnerable to impact with the inside of the skull. There's no evidence helmets really help, and also no reason why they would.

No evidence they cant help? or eliminate? Big difference - all these studies seem to cite 'rates of concussion'. but not all concussions are equal.

If a helmet reduces a skull v skull collision from 2 months off to 1 month off, then thats a good outcome, right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No evidence they cant help? or eliminate? Big difference - all these studies seem to cite 'rates of concussion'. but not all concussions are equal.

If a helmet reduces a skull v skull collision from 2 months off to 1 month off, then thats a good outcome, right?
As far as I'm aware, there are no studies that have shown a more positive clinical outcome with helmets. You're right that the primary outcome is always rate of head injury occurrence but it is not unusual for there to be a secondary outcome related to matches missed or some variant. There have also been studies on the force the brain is exposed to with and without helmets using technology like accelerometers and there has been little-to-no evidence that they significantly reduce the rotational and linear forces that are to blame for concussion.

Of course, if helmets were to reduce the recovery, that'd be great. We just have no evidence that that's the case at present.

I remember reading that helmets can help with glancing blows and cuts etc, but not much help for concussions (which is from the brain shake).

I also remember reading that helmets can effect behaviour - other parties feel you are more protected and take less care, and the person wearing the helmet also feels more protected and can act more recklessly. I think they've had a lot of concussion problems in American football as they use them like a battering ram. I think their newer versions reduce concussion a bit, but these are big chungus helmets. The ones like Daniel wears unlikely to help concussion and potential/arguable to increase risk due to the behaviour change issue.

I remember reading that helmets can help with glancing blows and cuts etc, but not much help for concussions (which is from the brain shake).

I also remember reading that helmets can effect behaviour - other parties feel you are more protected and take less care, and the person wearing the helmet also feels more protected and can act more recklessly. I think they've had a lot of concussion problems in American football as they use them like a battering ram. I think their newer versions reduce concussion a bit, but these are big chungus helmets. The ones like Daniel wears unlikely to help concussion and potential/arguable to increase risk due to the behaviour change issue.
There are mixed findings on the behaviour change aspect (termed 'risk compensation'). It does seem to be a thing for some people, others less so.

The only study I've seen on helmets and concussion came back with there being no benefit to wearing a helmet in terms of concussion but that they do reduce cuts etc - but only for the person wearing the helmet as they massively increased the injuries to people playing with those who weren't wearing helmets.

It actually suggested that the wearing of the helmet made NFL athletes, in this circumstance, engage in riskier or more violent acts during play feeling like they were protected - which resulted in more concussions.

The only study I've seen on helmets and concussion came back with there being no benefit to wearing a helmet in terms of concussion but that they do reduce cuts etc - but only for the person wearing the helmet as they massively increased the injuries to people playing with those who weren't wearing helmets.

It actually suggested that the wearing of the helmet made NFL athletes, in this circumstance, engage in riskier or more violent acts during play feeling like they were protected - which resulted in more concussions.

I think it’s more a mentality thing for Caleb, I recall him saying he wore it as a kid because his mum had made him to, so it’s just routine for him after so long but doesn’t feel he actually needs it.

I get the NFL thing, but they are also idiots who usually lead with their head to make blocks & tackles which isn’t part of AFL, unless your name is Kozzie Pickett.

I think it’s more a mentality thing for Caleb, I recall him saying he wore it as a kid because his mum had made him to, so it’s just routine for him after so long but doesn’t feel he actually needs it.

I get the NFL thing, but they are also idiots who usually lead with their head to make blocks & tackles which isn’t part of AFL, unless your name is Kozzie Pickett.
Plus it makes him stand out and easy to find for teammates 😀

Remove this Banner Ad

Back