Welcome to the Bulldogs Nick Coffield

Remove this Banner Ad

Has nowhere near the legspeed or power through the core that Ed has, and that was before the injuries. Someone else higher up on here labelled him quick. He isn't quick for the AFL.

He's got some nice qualities that could work, and cost nothing, but I suspect some expectations need to be tempered slightly.

Not an instant IN to a lot of afl teams.

Well, it was fun while it lasted.

Angry Season 2 GIF by Paramount+

Has nowhere near the legspeed or power through the core that Ed has, and that was before the injuries. Someone else higher up on here labelled him quick. He isn't quick for the AFL.

He's got some nice qualities that could work, and cost nothing, but I suspect some expectations need to be tempered slightly.

Not an instant IN to a lot of afl teams.

Might not be who you were referring to but I labelled him quick for his size. As in quicker than 90% of 6ft 3 blokes in AFL. I stand by that. Similar to Ed in that he can actually defend 1 on 1 and intercept but definitely not Ed’s level of pace or leap.

People forget he came top 5 in St Kilda’s BnF in 2020. So has proven he can do it at the highest level. People maybe need to taper expectations but considering we got him in and gained points for croft at the same time I think there is reason to be excited.

If he stays fit, which he currently is…then he plays round 1

Last edited:

Well, it was fun while it lasted.

Angry Season 2 GIF by Paramount+
I'm not totally down on him. He's a more natural footballer than a decent whack of backmen we were playing this year.

I just watched a decent amount of him/all his games at St Kilda and he is most a bit of a bust for where he was drafted.

Last time we got sucked into leadership qualities we drafted Nathan Hrovat, former captain of the Knights too. Must play football first.
I get your point but it's a bit redundant here. Hrovat never finished top five in our best and fairest. Coffield has proven he can play the level. Leadership is a bonus. But an area I think we're lacking in.

I'm happy with this trade. Not because he was a Doggies fan growing up but because he's very much the sort of trade we should be going after most of the time.

Yes it's good getting a proven performer like LJones, Lobb, Keath, Harmes or Duryea who might have only 3 worthwhile years left in their career. And occasionally those sorts of players provide a missing key piece for a side that is genuinely in its premiership window (Barry Hall was a classic example although a year too late). But too many clubs are hopelessly optimistic about their immediate flag chances. And in our case we have had a few too many of them (add in O'Brien, Hannan etc). Most of the time we should be playing the percentages and the longer game.

Trading for a player with reasonable skills, solid build and a good CV who is only 22-25 is the way to go for a longer term list build. Players like Prestia and Taranto are classic examples. You not only get them with their best years ahead of them but you get them for something like 7-10 years. You can still shape their development if they are young enough too.

Coffield fits this profile nicely although at this stage I'd say he's not the quality of Prestia or Taranto. He's a top 10 pick who went on to play well at his drafted club before falling out of favour mainly because of injury. Tackles well (a need!) and not a bad intercept mark (another need!) And he's still only 23.

The fact that we got him almost for nothing is a real bonus.

I'm not totally down on him. He's a more natural footballer than a decent whack of backmen we were playing this year.

I just watched a decent amount of him/all his games at St Kilda and he is most a bit of a bust for where he was drafted.

He's 23, he fills a real need and we got him extremely cheap. Classic Moneyball pick. I'm prepared to give him a proper go at it before passing judgement. I think he'll play 150 games for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets face it, he's a foot soldier at best
A solid foot soldier is 100 times better than calling upon the army reserves to fill spots in our team which we've been doing for a few years now?

A solid foot soldier is 100 times better than calling upon the army reserves to fill spots in our team which we've been doing for a few years now?

Spot on. Matthew Dent back in the late 90s was a foot soldier and a bloody good one at that and there have been countless others that have come in and made themselves integral to the side.

So in an ideal world, we are thinking 3rd tall supporting Jones and JOD?

What does our backline look like?

Jones, Jod, Coff, Dale, Ed ..... And who? JJ?

I know, why can’t we just have 40 a-graders on the list?

Sick and tired of this club tbh, should just fold.

Exactly. Damn you Shane Biggs, you were nothing but a foot soldier at best.

A Premiership winning foot soldier, but still a foot soldier.

Spot on. Matthew Dent back in the late 90s was a foot soldier and a bloody good one at that and there have been countless others that have come in and made themselves integral to the side.
Could throw a punch old Denty, landed a couple against West Coast at the Western Oval from memory.

So in an ideal world, we are thinking 3rd tall supporting Jones and JOD?

What does our backline look like?

Jones, Jod, Coff, Dale, Ed ..... And who? JJ?
It would depend on match ups for mine - I’d be happy playing him as 3rd or 4th tall. If 4th the 3rd has to be Darcy or Buss though, not Keath or Gardner.

I think he can be a bit of a general who can play tall or small, offer a bit of intercepting and also a bit of drive out of the backline. Without really excelling at any one of those aspects.

Not sure he’s good enough as an interceptor to be a genuine Howe, Wood, Lever type from what I remember.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back