Welcome to the Bulldogs Joel Freijah

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for the insight - why do you think other clubs didn't quite value him as high (i.e., where are the improvement areas?)?

Curious to hear if you have any thoughts on any of our other selections - Sanders, Croft, Smith, O'Driscoll - if you don't mind, too.
Sanders - Best pure footballer in the draft; best footy IQ and foot-skills. Rarely makes a poor decision and works hard getting from contest to contest as well as impacting on the spread. Needs to be played in the midfield, but I'm not sure when that happens for him considering how many guys you have running through there.

Croft - Firstly, his ball drop is quite awkward and leads him to fluffing some kicks - needs to work on developing a ball drop that will help him develop some consistency by foot. I personally think his career will be best served as a key defender, but he could get it done as a forward too. Reads the flight of the ball and picks the drop-zone really well, but I think he lacks some tricks in the forward line which is why he's stalled this year. Despite having a really good tank, he struggled this year to impact as he only found it 10 times a game on average.

Smith - Best performed ruck at Coates level for sure and as silly as it sounds, he's going to be an undersized ruck at AFL level. The reason guys like Green, Goad and Edwards went ahead of him is because they're taller and better at the tap ruck aspect. Smith will be a hustle and bustle, aggressive ruck, whereas the blokes who went ahead of him have much better ruck craft and will be good tap ruckmen. The numbers for comparison:
Smith - 202cm, 72cm vertical
Green - 204cm, 87cm vertical + easily longest arms in draft at 95.6cm (next best was 93.7cm)
Goad - 206cm, 85cm vertical
Edwards - 206cm, 94cm vertical

O'Driscoll - I see him as a very Western Bulldogs type pick. That half forward who will work hard up and the ground and back, but isn't a traditional crumber who will kick bags of goals for you. He's very athletic and will break the lines with his pace in space. Well worth a late selection to see whether he can make it.

Sanders - Best pure footballer in the draft; best footy IQ and foot-skills. Rarely makes a poor decision and works hard getting from contest to contest as well as impacting on the spread. Needs to be played in the midfield, but I'm not sure when that happens for him considering how many guys you have running through there.

Croft - Firstly, his ball drop is quite awkward and leads him to fluffing some kicks - needs to work on developing a ball drop that will help him develop some consistency by foot. I personally think his career will be best served as a key defender, but he could get it done as a forward too. Reads the flight of the ball and picks the drop-zone really well, but I think he lacks some tricks in the forward line which is why he's stalled this year. Despite having a really good tank, he struggled this year to impact as he only found it 10 times a game on average.

Smith - Best performed ruck at Coates level for sure and as silly as it sounds, he's going to be an undersized ruck at AFL level. The reason guys like Green, Goad and Edwards went ahead of him is because they're taller and better at the tap ruck aspect. Smith will be a hustle and bustle, aggressive ruck, whereas the blokes who went ahead of him have much better ruck craft and will be good tap ruckmen. The numbers for comparison:
Green - 204cm, 87cm vertical + easily longest arms in draft at 95.6cm (next best was 93.7cm)

O'Driscoll - I see him as a very Western Bulldogs type pick. That half forward who will work hard up and the ground and back, but isn't a traditional crumber who will kick bags of goals for you. He's very athletic and will break the lines with his pace in space. Well worth a late selection to see whether he can make it.
Noticed Smith wasn't getting off the ground much in the ruck, although he is moving a bit more weight than the other boys.

Thank you for your insights.

It was tense on our board in the lead up to Lual getting selected by Essendon. A few of us thought we'd trade back in to get him.

Wise call considering we got Freijah a few picks later?

Thank you for your insights.

It was tense on our board in the lead up to Lual getting selected by Essendon. A few of us thought we'd trade back in to get him.

Wise call considering we got Freijah a few picks later?

I've never seen it with Lual. Not really quick or agile, on the shorter side which limits his defensive flexibility from a role point of view. Not a particularly good kick and had a pretty poor season overall.

He could improve substantially but he's certainly not one I'd be upset over missing out on. I never understood how anyone could justify labelling him a top 30 prospect.

I've never seen it with Lual. Not particularly quick or agile, on the shorter side which limits his defensive flexibility from a role point of view. Not a particularly good kick and had a pretty poor season overall.

He could improve substantially but he's certainly not one I'd be upset over missing out on. I never understood how anyone could justify labelling him a top 30 prospect.
Thanks mate.

I've never seen it with Lual. Not really quick or agile, on the shorter side which limits his defensive flexibility from a role point of view. Not a particularly good kick and had a pretty poor season overall.

I’m pretty confident we had Freijah rated significantly higher than Lual.

Interested to know where the surname originated from, language is cool. I googled but got a few different answers.

Probably could’ve worded my initial question better to avoid confusion.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I don't see anything wrong with asking about a person's name. I also like to know where names originate. My surname causes a lot of questions as it's a variation of a much more common one. A family member has done work on the family tree and it's been quite fascinating to see that it contains other spellings of the name going back in time.

Many names have origins that are easy to identify, but it's interesting to hear about the not-so-obvious ones.

Interested to know where the surname originated from, language is cool. I googled but got a few different answers.

Probably could’ve worded my initial question better to avoid confusion.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

on the draft vid recap, they pronounced it 'fray-ger' So his nickname must be Smokin Joel

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see anything wrong with asking about a person's name. I also like to know where names originate. My surname causes a lot of questions as it's a variation of a much more common one. A family member has done work on the family tree and it's been quite fascinating to see that it contains other spellings of the name going back in time.

Many names have origins that are easy to identify, but it's interesting to hear about the not-so-obvious ones.
The surname appears to originate from Lebanon but with possibly different spelling. The surname is predominantly found in Australia ( a very small number) and not in other parts of the world.

One thing I noticed from his highlights is that he appears to be one-sided, favouring to swing on to his right foot at every opportunity. Obviously, highlights don't tell the whole story but if he does end up playing wing then he may need to develop his left side.

Not worried about Smith, ruck is more about technique than height or leap and I think he looks more like a Stef Martin type. He’ll be fine for a backup. Whether he’s ever more than that, will take a few years to find out.

Huddo was a great stoppage ruckman - not a great athlete, but because he actively hunted the ground ball - wasnt a spectator after contesting the tap. Maybe getting Huddo vibes from Smith?

But Huddo was a bit of a spectator once the ball left the stoppage - not bevs favourite thing

Huddo was a great stoppage ruckman - not a great athlete, but because he actively hunted the ground ball - wasnt a spectator after contesting the tap. Maybe getting Huddo vibes from Smith?

But Huddo was a bit of a spectator once the ball left the stoppage - not bevs favourite thing

That’s why I thought Stef, Smith had some high disposal numbers in the Coates league.

One thing I noticed from his highlights is that he appears to be one-sided, favouring to swing on to his right foot at every opportunity. Obviously, highlights don't tell the whole story but if he does end up playing wing then he may need to develop his left side.
He's the mirror opposite of Poulter then? Tall, covers ground, one sided

Isaac Smith had a fair career only using his left peg didn't he?
Dare we say it... the Bald Eagle did too

Simon Beasley could legitimately not kick on his opposite foot too, although a FF in that era could get away with it

Family Italian. Ripper kid. Can't wait to see how he goes. Always showed class through his junior footy with the Horsham Saints & Rebels.

I think you're the third person I've seen saying "he's a great kid and the Dogs have got a good one", it's really good to see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back