Podcast Inside The Kennel: New Player Interviews!

Remove this Banner Ad

I loved Rocket, he impressed me so much when he was our coach. The highs of being a top four team for three years straight, the lows, Riewoldt dive in 2009, (karma can be a bitch, hey Saints). I totally agree with him that he should have been allowed to coach for another year at least.
Robbed at the end of his time with us. However, it all worked out in 2016!

I have just interviewed Richard Osborne - publishing it on Wednesday, followed by Jordan Roughead and Dale Morris...

Robbed at the end of his time with us. However, it all worked out in 2016!

I have just interviewed Richard Osborne - publishing it on Wednesday, followed by Jordan Roughead and Dale Morris...

Hey Inside The Kennel - one multiple CSM winner I can't recall ever being interviewed is Mocha Dunstan.

Be curious to know how he'd look back on his career and views towards the club, as I believe his departure to North wasn't completely amicable.

I know many, including at times myself, viewed him as a tad selfish onfield, but with one or both of Jennings and Templeton often injured during his career peak, he probably shouldered a lot of load and responsibility, as acting captain for a time too.

Just wondered if he's anywhere on your wish list?

Original Mocha (Maurie) could play, unfortunately injury-prone. Luckily for us, originally from Preston, moved to Fish Creek to coach, in what would become part of our country zone. I'm guessing Graeme was a father-son at the Pies, be curious to know why Ian wasn't.

Graeme and Ian's VFL careers overlapped in 1973 and 1974, but they were only opposed once, in round 3, 1974. Graeme missed round 14, and Ian missed the 74 EF.

Edit: both missed round 15, 1974.
Weird, as in that 22-round era, almost guaranteed the return games were 11 rounds apart... Almost!

I did have a bit of a chuckle to myself when Ozzy described our 1995 season as 'consistent'. It was anything but, evidenced by six straight losses followed by a draw and five straight wins.

I did have a bit of a chuckle to myself when Ozzy described our 1995 season as 'consistent'. It was anything but, evidenced by six straight losses followed by a draw and five straight wins.

6 straight losses and 5 straight wins are consistent in isolation though! 😄

To this day Ozzy is still the longest goalkicker I've ever seen live. He was close to the players' race when he let a torpedo rip and it went through the goals at the Barkley St end.

Forget goals, it's probably the biggest kick I've ever seen live. And I regularly went to games in the Gilbee era.

To this day Ozzy is still the longest goalkicker I've ever seen live. He was close to the players' race when he let a torpedo rip and it went through the goals at the Barkley St end.

Forget goals, it's probably the biggest kick I've ever seen live. And I regularly went to games in the Gilbee era.

They mentioned that one in the interview.

I reckon I saw Templeton, Bruce Reid (twice) and Don Scott kick monster torps for goal at WO - from memory the Reid x 2 and Scott ones were wind-assisted, not sure about Templeton. His one was between half forward and wing kicking towards Geelong Rd, on the outer. I don't think a single person in the ground gave it a chance of scoring, but it just made it. Wish I could remember what year it was!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The best goal I saw Ozzy kick live was in 1995 against Melbourne five days before E.J. passed away.

He took possession on the wing, danced around a couple of opponents, took three bounces and launched from about 55m towards the city end.

The best goal I saw Ozzy kick live was in 1995 against Melbourne five days before E.J. passed away.

He took possession on the wing, danced around a couple of opponents, took three bounces and launched from about 55m towards the city end.
I found the goal here.

Fast Fwd to 11:32.

Sexton and Hargraves... name a more talented but unfulfilled duo!

The real highlight though is Jason Watts' hair - not one hair on his head moved in his entire career.

They mentioned that one in the interview.

I reckon I saw Templeton, Bruce Reid (twice) and Don Scott kick monster torps for goal at WO - from memory the Reid x 2 and Scott ones were wind-assisted, not sure about Templeton. His one was between half forward and wing kicking towards Geelong Rd, on the outer. I don't think a single person in the ground gave it a chance of scoring, but it just made it. Wish I could remember what year it was!

The great EJ right near the end of his career , 2 monster torps down the Barkley street end in the space of 5 minutes.
Against Melbourne , right out of the ground , don’t think they got those balls back.
I have watched a lot of footy at the Western Oval , no one kicked it further than those 2.

Ozzie could certainly roost a footy though, seem to remember he kicked a huge goal in a final somewhere ?

How didn’t Sexton make it ?????

Played some blinders, including his debut.

Easy to say in hindsight, but I reckon Wheeler or Wallace would have got more out of him and Hargraves than Joyce.

Plough should have persisted with Hargraves after his 96 season, only got a few games in 97.
Funnily enough, Hargraves played round 1 and 2 in 97, up forward with Minton-Connell and Darcy, and Grant played all of round 1 and most of round 2 at CHB.

I reckon Grant, Hargraves and Darcy would have been a better forward combo. Oh well.

NEW EPISODE HAS JUST DROPPED!
Premiership Bulldog Jordan Roughead shares his wild journey, along the way to the most remarkable magic carpet ride - the 2016 Grand Final - in this unmissable episode!

NEW EPISODE HAS JUST DROPPED!
Premiership Bulldog Jordan Roughead shares his wild journey, along the way to the most remarkable magic carpet ride - the 2016 Grand Final - in this unmissable episode!

Another great episode Matty

I think this episode goes down as the best Amazing interview

On CPH2305 using BigFooty.com mobile app
It was enjoyable to listen to, and Roughy was so open in this interview. I found the performance anxiety point most interesting.

I also subscribe to his mark after the overturning of JJ's 'goal' as a most pivotal moment in the Grand Final.

One point was I think in the interview they said Murph's knee injury was at the 'G where my memory had it at Marvel. A small thing that has zero impact in what was an excellent interview. Well done to all involved.

It was enjoyable to listen to, and Roughy was so open in this interview. I found the performance anxiety point most interesting.

I also subscribe to his mark after the overturning of JJ's 'goal' as a most pivotal moment in the Grand Final.

One point was I think in the interview they said Murph's knee injury was at the 'G where my memory had it at Marvel. A small thing that has zero impact in what was an excellent interview. Well done to all involved.
Yeah was definitely at Marvel, I was in attendance.

I don't go to a lot of games, maybe 2-3 a year. I went to both of Murphys knee games, will never forgive Anthony Rocca!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back