Insightful Media Coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

Great read indeed. Ultimate professional, realising he wasn't good enough and he knuckled down and worked very, very hard to become good enough. Holds no grudges towards Ross Lyon and knows he is blessed to have played 100 games and won a flag with the club he supported and few players have ever done this. Shows that natural talent only gets you part of the way, you need to have the drive to become the best.

After those opening words, Ross said he didn’t think I was good enough to be an AFL player and they weren’t going to keep me. And that was that.

6b1f5f976ed1f1573e52ab51725e2056.jpg

Cripps, Hutch and Yeo. All West Coast Premiership players Ross the Boss rejected.

The gift that keeps on giving :thumbsu:

You're forgetting Darling as well. The bloke in charge of drafting at St Kilda wanted to take Darling with the Saints 24th pick. However RTB wasn't having it, overruled the bloke and insisted they pick Cripps instead. This allowed us to draft Darling with our pick 26 and pick up Cripps two years later for a pack of crisps (picks 41 and 44.)

Thank you Ross. Lol at anyone who says we hate him. He's a gift to us.

You're forgetting Darling as well. The bloke in charge of drafting at St Kilda wanted to take Darling with the Saints 24th pick. However RTB wasn't having it, overruled the bloke and insisted they pick Cripps instead. This allowed us to draft Darling with our pick 26 and pick up Cripps two years later for a pack of crisps (picks 41 and 44.)

Bet he feels like a real nuff when they kick bags in the Derby

Where did you hear this? Seriously hope Freo keep Ross Lyon for next season. Will improve our chances of getting Kelly.

Cripps for crisps?

Where did you hear this? Seriously hope Freo keep Ross Lyon for next season. Will improve our chances of getting Kelly.

Here is the article:

Believe it may be behind a paywall now but here is the bit about Darling and Cripps.

"One of my final duties at St Kilda was overseeing the 2010 national draft. The recruiters had wanted to use selection 24 on Jack Darling, but were overruled by Ross.He wanted to select runners and had the final say (St Kilda selected Jamie Cripps at pick No.24, the small forward who would go on to be a premiership player at West Coast alongside Darling)."

Delightful reading. For an Eagles fan anyway ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here is the article:

Believe it may be behind a paywall now but here is the bit about Darling and Cripps.

"One of my final duties at St Kilda was overseeing the 2010 national draft. The recruiters had wanted to use selection 24 on Jack Darling, but were overruled by Ross.He wanted to select runners and had the final say (St Kilda selected Jamie Cripps at pick No.24, the small forward who would go on to be a premiership player at West Coast alongside Darling)."

Delightful reading. For an Eagles fan anyway ;)
Behind a paywall but thanks for the excerpt!

From The Tackle

9. CRIPPS V YEO

It was the second midfield title fight of the weekend and Elliot Yeo won by technical knockout. This was the perfect match-up between two of the game’s furious competitors. The tale of the tape was as follows: Patrick Cripps had 24 and Yeo 25 disposals. Contested possessions were 14 to 16. Clearances were nine to five. Score involvements were two to four. Pressure points were 28 to 66, clear evidence Yeo was there thwart to Cripps at every opportunity. You take that result when you attempt to subdue a superstar, and Eagles coach Adam Simpson would take it every time.

Courtesy of Titus O'Reily

Carlton (75) v West Coast (99)
A bit of a reality check for the Blues, but hardly a depressing one.
The side that played the first part of the season would have got belted by 100 points. Under David Teague, this was a competent, committed side who were just outgunned by a more developed and accomplished side.
I’m a bit torn at the moment. I want Teague to get the Carlton job because the idea that he doesn’t deserve the job is just idiocy. On the other hand, the humour in the Blues Board making a terrible decision would fill so many people with joy.
As for the Eagles, they continued their strong claim to be favourites for the flag. They’ll likely get home finals, they can win at the MCG, they’ve got a proven record in finals and Champion data don’t rate their list.
They’re powerful credential I think you’ll agree.
Liam Ryan also added to his impressive reputation, hauling in a mark running into a pack with no fear of his physical safety. It was a beautiful thing to watch and a reminder that despite all the nonsense that surrounds it, this is a wonderful sport.

It’s an indictment on the standard of the football media that a satirist who started out taking the piss on Twitter as a hobby is one of the more insightful writers on the game

Courtesy of Titus O'Reily

Carlton (75) v West Coast (99)
A bit of a reality check for the Blues, but hardly a depressing one.
The side that played the first part of the season would have got belted by 100 points. Under David Teague, this was a competent, committed side who were just outgunned by a more developed and accomplished side.
I’m a bit torn at the moment. I want Teague to get the Carlton job because the idea that he doesn’t deserve the job is just idiocy. On the other hand, the humour in the Blues Board making a terrible decision would fill so many people with joy.
As for the Eagles, they continued their strong claim to be favourites for the flag. They’ll likely get home finals, they can win at the MCG, they’ve got a proven record in finals and Champion data don’t rate their list.
They’re powerful credential I think you’ll agree.
Liam Ryan also added to his impressive reputation, hauling in a mark running into a pack with no fear of his physical safety. It was a beautiful thing to watch and a reminder that despite all the nonsense that surrounds it, this is a wonderful sport.

I liked this bit about some other match that happened

The downside for Dockers fans is a win like this means Ross Lyon could be around a bit longer. The only thing worse than hope, is false hope.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back