Insightful Media Coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

When they were talking about it on Coast to Coast, it reminded me how ridiculous it was and how frustrated I got when we played JK in the twos behind Hansen and maybe even McKinnley.

Mckinley was killing it in 08 though.. Kicked 42 goals for the year but was a medium forward.

Question about Optus Stadium:

It's the best stadium in the country with regards to the newest start of the art facilities, but can someone tell me why it's capacity is a mere 65,000?

Why wasn't it built to accommodate closer to 100K? And can the capacity of the stadium increase in coming years?

It's the best stadium in the country with regards to the newest start of the art facilities, but can someone tell me why it's capacity is a mere 65,000?

Why wasn't it built to accommodate closer to 100K? And can the capacity of the stadium increase in coming years?

No benefit to building something that big when we can't fill it often enough to justify the cost.

Yes the stadium has capacity for expansion. I'm sure the Govt will push that button many years from now when they need to stimulate the construction sector. I think it can go 80-85k.

No benefit to building something that big when we can't fill it often enough to justify the cost.
Sounds eerily similar to something my missus said to me last night.

The stadium design has a two-stage expansion design to 70 000 and 80 000 respectively. Word was the govt at the time put the proposal to the clubs. West Coast wanted a bigger stadium and Freo didn't as they don't have the members to fill it regularly. So they built it at current capacity with the option to expand "when demand necessitates it".

How annoying would it be if we miss out on the only AFL GF on the table for 50 years and ANZ Stadium, which doesn't even have AFL played on it anymore, hosts it.

The stadium design has a two-stage expansion design to 70 000 and 80 000 respectively. Word was the govt at the time put the proposal to the clubs. West Coast wanted a bigger stadium and Freo didn't as they don't have the members to fill it regularly. So they built it at current capacity with the option to expand "when demand necessitates it".

How annoying would it be if we miss out on the only AFL GF on the table for 50 years and ANZ Stadium, which doesn't even have AFL played on it anymore, hosts it.

Look it would suck. I’ll still be happy if the GF is hosted outside of Victoria. Fingers crossed it becomes the straw that braces the camels back!

If you listen to Eddie, he's pretty sure it will be in Sydney or Qld.

He's usually on the money with these things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know ANZ can fit 80k but is it even ready for AFL? Surely they would be trying to at least get some season games there to get it up and about.

I think the media is driving the NSW option.

Lets say restrictions are still in for states come GF time and only people from NSW can attend it will have a massive egg on its head when only 30-40k attend. At least if its in WA or SA it will sell out regardless if their teams are in the GF.

I know ANZ can fit 80k but is it even ready for AFL? Surely they would be trying to at least get some season games there to get it up and about.

I think the media is driving the NSW option.

Lets say restrictions are still in for states come GF time and only people from NSW can attend it will have a massive egg on its head when only 30-40k attend. At least if its in WA or SA it will sell out regardless if their teams are in the GF.
Lol, the only reason they are talking Sydney is the Vic clubs are s**t scared of handing west coast or port home ground advantage. Sydney wont come close to filling the stadium unless fans from football states can fly in - no guarantees. That would be massively embarrassing for AFL.

I suspect we will get it. Guaranteed 60k tickets sold no matter who plays.

Yes the stadium has capacity for expansion. I'm sure the Govt will push that button many years from now when they need to stimulate the construction sector. I think it can go 80-85k.
How many members do we have? isn't it like 80k, with around 70 being in WA? That number is also going to grow

How many members do we have? isn't it like 80k, with around 70 being in WA? That number is also going to grow

I think the club likes the demand and exclusivity of an Eagles membership, it ensures there's always a backlog on the waiting list and that those who have a membership keep it.

If we had a venue we could fit every fan into and we slipped down the ladder, there's no onus on fair weather members to retain their membership, they could jump off for a few years and just pick one up again when we bounce back.

But mostly it would look stupid for Fremantle half filling a stadium and us not getting enough access to world class events to justify it.

We spent what, 2Bn+ to build it? We can't even get the Indian Test here over Brissy at the Gabba. It was wise not to over capitalise at the moment, in my opinion. And that comes as someone who would very much like to have a couple of memberships.

This is absolutely crazy. Unless they redo the round 7 fixture, that means round 8-12 (5 matches) to happen in about 21 days.

This is absolutely crazy. Unless they redo the round 7 fixture, that means round 8-12 (5 matches) to happen in about 21 days.

Won't be possible for clubs coming into WA because they'll need to be playing the WA teams before completing their 14 day quarantine period.

Vics have ****ed it. Sydney now shitting bricks as well hoping not to follow suit. I think this will be the end of 60k at the Derby. Risk is low but I can't see anyone wanting to take that risk now and get caught out.

Won't be possible for clubs coming into WA because they'll need to be playing the WA teams before completing their 14 day quarantine period.

Vics have f’ed it. Sydney now shitting bricks as well hoping not to follow suit. I think this will be the end of 60k at the Derby. Risk is low but I can't see anyone wanting to take that risk now and get caught out.

Unless a big group of 6 teams come to WA

OR

We go back over to QLD/NSW after Geelong/Collingwood games.

Unless a big group of 6 teams come to WA

OR

We go back over to QLD/NSW after Geelong/Collingwood games.

First option sounds far more reasonable than the second. But who do we and Freo play after the Derby? We can't verse any of the Vics. GWS would have to come over as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back