Insightful Media Coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember the incident against us, but don't remember who the player was.

WESTERN BULLDOGS YOUNGSTER CALLED OUT FOR BELITTLING ON-FIELD BEHAVIOUR

Hawthorn great Dermott Brereton has called out Western Bulldogs youngster Bailey Smith for his belittling on-field behaviour.
Brereton highlighted two separate incidents where Smith has taunted an opposition player and described the midfielder as the AFL’s “poster boy” for this sort of conduct.

“There’s a belittlement element to this and I hate it in our sport,” the five-time premiership Hawk told SEN’s Bob and Andy.
“Every team has one but the poster boy for this at the moment, and I adore the way this boy plays and I just want him to stop, is Bailey Smith.
“He had an opponent against the West Coast Eagles who dived head long to try and stop his snap, Bailey snaps it and goes out of his way to retrace his steps to step over the Eagles player that is still lying on the ground.
“That was determined to be a humiliation of the vanquished.”

The second incident involving Smith occurred during the Good Friday match between the Bulldogs and North Melbourne.
“He (Jack Ziebell) has been a really good citizen in our sport,” Brereton said.
“When he gets beaten by Josh Bruce who’s on fire and Bailey comes in and gives him a double fist to the chest and makes out as though, ‘We did that to you, cop that’ and I’m thinking, ‘Mate, you’re the bloke who’s actually put it on the ledger. I’ve had some mental issues this year, go easy on me, go easy on people with mental health issues’.

“You can’t ask for points to be banked up if you’re going to behave like this. It’s just counterproductive to what you’re asking for."

Hawthorn great Dermott Brereton has called out Western Bulldogs youngster Bailey Smith for his belittling on-field behaviour.
Brereton highlighted two separate incidents where Smith has taunted an opposition player and described the midfielder as the AFL’s “poster boy” for this sort of conduct.

“There’s a belittlement element to this and I hate it in our sport,” the five-time premiership Hawk told SEN’s Bob and Andy.
“Every team has one but the poster boy for this at the moment, and I adore the way this boy plays and I just want him to stop, is Bailey Smith.
“He had an opponent against the West Coast Eagles who dived head long to try and stop his snap, Bailey snaps it and goes out of his way to retrace his steps to step over the Eagles player that is still lying on the ground.

The second incident involving Smith occurred during the Good Friday match between the Bulldogs and North Melbourne.
“When he gets beaten by Josh Bruce who’s on fire and Bailey comes in and gives him a double fist to the chest and makes out as though, ‘We did that to you, cop that’ and I’m thinking, ‘Mate, you’re the bloke who’s actually put it on the ledger. I’ve had some mental issues this year, go easy on me, go easy on people with mental health issues’.

“You can’t ask for points to be banked up if you’re going to behave like this. It’s just counterproductive to what you’re asking for."

Think it was Sheppard or Rotham, but I remember the action clearly and thinking it a bit unnecessary but nothing more than that.

Edit: what he said ^

The Shep attempted smother? Really annoyed me.

It's a bit toolish but being lectured about toolish behaviour by Dermie is a bit rough.

I recall the one against us. I had a passing thought that in the NBA it would be a tech foul and likely trigger a little "hol' me back" fracas. Then I didn't think about it again until just now.

It's a bit toolish but being lectured about toolish behaviour by Dermie is a bit rough.

I recall the one against us. I had a passing thought that in the NBA it would be a tech foul and likely trigger a little "hol' me back" fracas. Then I didn't think about it again until just now.
Yeah I guess.

But that type of behaviour back in the day got you a smack in the mouth so it wasn't as prevalent.

I think Simmo said something along those lines when Vardy did it to Max Gawn after Ryan took that hanger on him.

Not a hanging offence but not a good look.

Meh, none of that strikes me as being particularly heinous. Knobbish? Certainly. Deserves to be hung out to dry by the media? Nah.

If anything it just makes him an on-field target for oppo players to get up in his business when he f*cks up himself. If he is willing to bring that on himself by all means, let him continue.

Bailey Smith stepped over Shep. He went back to do it from memory.

It was disrespectful for someone who has done a lot of nothing in terms of achievement in our game.

POS in my view.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See I probably wouldn’t have minded if it was nelson or Gov cause you’d bet them giving him tongue. Like Shep isn’t the sort to really get on the nerves of opposition and is a really clean player.

Bailey Smith stepped over Shep. He went back to do it from memory.

It was disrespectful for someone who has done a lot of nothing in terms of achievement in our game.

POS in my view.

I look forward to him flying into Perth with his team mates to take on Shepp and his back line brother in Hurn during his 300th. He might get ironed out in a contest for the ball 🤷 :moustache:

See I probably wouldn’t have minded if it was nelson or Gov cause you’d bet them giving him tongue. Like Shep isn’t the sort to really get on the nerves of opposition and is a really clean player.
Doesn't really matter who it is IMO.
It's disrespectful and is meant to humiliate.

I like it when Pridham has a crack back at the Vics.

‘No one wanted him’: Swans slam academy critics

Sydney boss Andrew Pridham says Victorian clubs bleating about the Swans’ academy system should look at their own generous AFL concessions first.

Sydney chairman Andrew Pridham has lashed out at critics of the club’s academy system, adamant the league would have to disband the father-son system before it watered down the Swans’ talent pathway.

Pridham told the Herald Sun Victorian clubs bleating about Sydney’s development were always silent about the huge advantages of their own father-sons and next generation academies.

He said Geelong and Collingwood had accepted huge concessions regarding the draft and cost of living without complaint from rival sides.
Sydney must bid for their players in the same way as the father-son system, having injected $10 million into their own academy over 11 years.

The Swans have only drafted or rookied 13 of the 3000 players to go through that system, with Pridham saying the criticism was tired and predictable.
“Collingwood have five father-sons and another on the way and two next generation academy picks,” he told the Herald Sun.

“We have outrageously rookied a kid like Sam Wicks who no one else picked. Go figure. As for Geelong if you talk about advantages, my god they have (Patrick) Dangerfield, Jeremy Cameron, (Gary) Rohan, (Isaac) Smith, they are in a town that houses the Geelong Falcons. They have players keen to play there and it’s so cheap to live there. They are spending 300 bucks a week to live in an eight-bedroom house. The bottom line is it has never been a level playing field.

“So anyone who is attacking us and wants to see anything happen to the academies, you could say goodbye to the father-son system.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back