Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Feb 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
How is Shane Edwards underrated? Did I not just hear the commentators going on about how he was going to be a hall of fame player?

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Love him or hate him, that's why you need Cornes in the media.
He's one of the few who has the minerals to bag the favouritism to the Vics.

Has the “Victorian-centric nature” of the AFL reared its “ugly head” again?

The AFL released the fixtures for Rounds 9 and 10 as the 2021 season continues to be sorted in blocks.

Round 9 kicks off on May 14 with St Kilda v Geelong at Marvel Stadium on Friday night with arguably the match of the round between Port Adelaide and the Western Bulldogs to take place at the Adelaide Oval on Saturday night.

In response to this decision, Kane Cornes has again questioned the “Victorian-centric nature” of the AFL for scheduling the Saints and Cats in prime time when the Power v Dogs clash appears a much more mouthwatering prospect
“Port Adelaide are going to take on the Western Bulldogs at Adelaide Oval on 7:40 on the Saturday night,” he said on SEN SA Breakfast.

What a matchup that would be, but unbelievably that game hasn’t been given Friday night status.

“I cannot understand how you could look at that fixture, and the footy the Bulldogs and Port Adelaide are playing, and why that wouldn’t be a home game at Adelaide Oval on Friday night?

“They’ve gone with St Kilda and Geelong at Marvel on the Friday night.

“The Victorian-centric nature of the AFL sometimes rears its ugly head and once again that has happened.

“How you could not schedule that on Friday night is amazing.”

In the wake of St Kilda’s 86-pint drubbing at the hands of Richmond last Thursday, Cornes was critical of the Saints.

He said last week: “Thank goodness for the rolling fixture. That’s the last time we will have to put up with watching St Kilda in a prime time slot this year.”

So it was nothing short of a surprise to the Power games record holder when the Saints were handed another premium slot in the form of a standalone Friday night game.

“There’s a floating fixture for a reason. I would have understood if this was locked in prior to the start of the year like it used to be,” he added.

“We all saw what St Kilda did last year. They played an attacking style, they won a final, and you get rewarded for that.

“When you serve up what you served up so far to start the season, particularly in the prime time games like they did last Thursday against Richmond, game over by quarter-time, no one wants to see that.

“The teams that aren’t doing it and are playing the right way should be rewarded regardless of their status, their crowds, their history. It doesn’t make any sense.”

There are three matches at Marvel Stadium in Round 9, including St Kilda v Geelong on Friday night, Richmond v GWS on Saturday night and Essendon v Fremantle on Sunday.
The Port v Dogs match is the only Adelaide Oval fixture that weekend.

The next fortnightly fixture block was released on Thursday morning with the Saints v Cats the Round 9 Friday fixture and Brisbane v Richmond the Round 10 prime time game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Screenshot_20210424-193518_Chrome.jpg

The Mongrel Punt goes BANG. Article is still for members only but those guys are well worth the 5 bucks a month imho.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast

The most sensible article about our away form I've seen in a good few years
That is a brilliant article. Hits the nail on the head. We are at breaking point with injury. Our only hope is we have hit a soft part of the draw, need the boys to stay together and scrape the wins anyway we can. Then reload with our stars back after the bye.

Luuuc

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats, Perth Lynx

The most sensible article about our away form I've seen in a good few years
Weak portion of the article IMO, lazily exploiting facts as a crutch on which to prop up the assertions being made. What's the point of that? Anyone can do that, merely by putting in the effort of doing some research. Where's the emotion? Where's the baseless gut feel? I can't even tell just from reading that whether it was even penned by an ex-player.

Selurs

Team Captain
Feb 21, 2008
In the bank's house
AFL Club
West Coast
We are at breaking point with injury.

I remember during one of the Hawks three-peat years Dunstall on the Couch proclaiming mid-season that the (yet to be won) flag would be the greatest flag ever won by an AFL team, as the hawks were at the time battling so many injuries. There even had to play a (yes, as in one) game without Hodge, Mitchell, and Lewis. Of course, that game was against a bottom four side, I think in Tassie. Their other two games through their "injury crisis" (yes, it lasted three weeks) were all against solidly bottom half teams. And that was a "crisis". I think we're well past that, and we've had to play some solid to very good sides through it.

Should we improve when the reinforcements arrive and somehow end up back in flag calculations, I won't wait around holding my breath for Dusntall (or anyone else) to notice how difficult this period has been for us.

mad_eagle

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2008
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
View attachment 1110660

The Mongrel Punt goes BANG. Article is still for members only but those guys are well worth the 5 bucks a month imho.

Wowee...hasn’t missed on Dom Sheed either. Fair enough too, Dom was clearly a very frustrated man on Saturday & he let it get the better of him...

On the Couch just did a good breakdown of the Geelong debacle. Showed a couple of glaring examples of Natanui and Gaff not putting in

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Good

Blowtorch is on

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
On the Couch just did a good breakdown of the Geelong debacle. Showed a couple of glaring examples of Natanui and Gaff not putting in

That would be Lyon sad that they got No 1 Draft Jack Watt. On his advice.

Nic is injured since the Port game. Hardly able to move.

Goroyals22

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 29, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast

If he is playing he is fit...
it’s irrelevant who brought it up but it was a prime example of the laziness he and the team has.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast

If Nic is not fit, then get him out of the team. If he is not winning clearances he is useless AND also requires us to play half a man down to cover for his low TOG. I'd rather lose the ruck completely and force our stoppage coach to come up with some defensive setups, rather than keep assuming we will win the tap, only for the ball to walk out the other way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back