Gym & Misc Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other week my foot got run over by dangerous wheelchair driver.Not the person in the wheelchair her carer as they catch up on the gym gossip with the other trainers they all laughed it up.I saw the funny side but still a sorry would have been nice.Yeah on the whole strength thing people seem to only ask about how much do you bench not squat/dead/chin.

:hearts: chin ups. My Gym doesn't have chains so last week I went and bought 1m of chain and a snap hook from bunnings to attach to my weightlifting belt. Get to christen it tomorrow morning.

At one stage I was going 25kg weighted chins for 6-8 reps, now I'm back at 10kgs but looking to build back up again
I've found that just holding a dumbell with the feet works as well, with the added bonus of a bit of ab work in the last rep or two in the set.

Aiming for 4 x 7 reps with 20kg dumbell, managed it this week only for overgrasp, failing on the last set for undergrasp (different days)

I've found that just holding a dumbell with the feet works as well, with the added bonus of a bit of ab work in the last rep or two in the set.

Aiming for 4 x 7 reps with 20kg dumbell, managed it this week only for overgrasp, failing on the last set for undergrasp (different days)
haKTf.gif

I just find anything over 10kg ridiculously awkward to hold between my feet

pull-ups and chin-ups are much better indicators of strength. if i get asked how much i bench i usually say it's irrelevant, and at 112 kg with one year of half-arsed lifting i'm much more impressed with myself being able to do 6 good form chin ups or a few pull-ups than anything i could do on the bench

i cant do chin ups to save myself. couldnt do 1.

so i am weak

I just find anything over 10kg ridiculously awkward to hold between my feet
It depends on the type of dumbell - we have the lighter set which is awkward (thinner at the ends), the heavier set has flatter plates that make it easier. Being 6' 2" and 86kgs I've probably got the easiest body shape to cater for with weighted upper body exercises anyway, I'm built more like a footballer than a gym-junkie.

Have seen someone hold a 6kg medicine ball between his knees for weighted dips - now that looked awkward

i can't bench for s**t. it goes both ways
My little gym doesn't have a bench press (smith machine does. not. count) so I dumbell press which is meant to be better anyways - except the dumbells only go up to 32.5kgs so there is no lower rep stuff getting done except for the period after a few weeks away on holiday.

Chin ups have always been fine for me. However when I first started, I could not dip a single rep. I was actually embarrassed, not idea why. I started at the same time as a mate and he was dipping away!

These days I can add 10kg's for 6-8, which is a great improvement!

:hearts: chin ups. My Gym doesn't have chains so last week I went and bought 1m of chain and a snap hook from bunnings to attach to my weightlifting belt. Get to christen it tomorrow morning.

At one stage I was going 25kg weighted chins for 6-8 reps, now I'm back at 10kgs but looking to build back up again

This is exactly me at the moment (if I was slightly stronger). I have a dip belt I use for weighted pullups, got up to sets of ~8xbw+10 or 4xbw+15, could do singles with a 20 or 25 plate. 6-8 at 25kg is awesome, I'd love to get to that stage at some point.

Now I struggle to get 4xbw+10 after being interstate/os for work and not in the gym for a good... 6 weeks. And slacking on back with ****ed up wrists for ~3 months, so no deadlifting etc. I find that a low bench and not being able to bust out even normal pullups to be one of the most demoralising things in the gym and makes me not want to go back (counter intuitive I know) :mad: . Think I'll go have a concrete milkshake.

+1 for the not being able to do chin ups when i began, hell when i began with looking at weightlifting one of the first times i benched i had the bar stuck on my chest with only about 30 kg of plates on !. with two blokes just standing there pissing themselves laughing at me. :thumbsu: for the gym douche bags. if your not going to encourage or at a minimum let the gym noobs learn the ropes in piece then you can seriously just GTFO.

It depends on the type of dumbell - we have the lighter set which is awkward (thinner at the ends), the heavier set has flatter plates that make it easier. Being 6' 2" and 86kgs I've probably got the easiest body shape to cater for with weighted upper body exercises anyway, I'm built more like a footballer than a gym-junkie.

Have seen someone hold a 6kg medicine ball between his knees for weighted dips - now that looked awkward

My little gym doesn't have a bench press (smith machine does. not. count) so I dumbell press which is meant to be better anyways - except the dumbells only go up to 32.5kgs so there is no lower rep stuff getting done except for the period after a few weeks away on holiday.
32.5??? Shiiiiit that's low I thought 40 was bad
Im up to 35's now will be going to a better gym around xmas so we'll see if I need to make do with 40's till then

And yeab dumbbell is the way to go

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I'm working at the gym I'll do:
Flat bench - dumbbell chest press
Incline - dumbbell chest press
Decline - dumbbell chest press
(I know I'll cop flack for overkill here.
Incline - dumbbell flys
Seated machine - chest press
Seated machine - flys/peck deck
Push ups to finish.

Probably should get some cables involved.

haha, I'm not that easily offended. Always up for advice on sets etc.

All together I wouldn't be doing more than 10 sets. Go hard and go heavy would be my apporach.

Currently my chest and triceps are on the same day and my workout looks like

Barbell Bench 80kg 6 75kg 6,5
Cable Tricep Pushdown 40kg 10,8,6
Incline Barbell Bench 60kg 8,6,4
Cable Cross Overs 30kg 10,8,6
Tricep Dip (i.e. close grip and elbows tight) 6,3,3

Not saying that it's perfect but I really think 28 sets on your chest is OTT

I've tried higher weight less sets and reps and I don't come away feeling like I've done as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back