Gym & Misc Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only time I'd probably get annoyed with someone deadlifting is if they were Pendlay deadlifting using steel plates on some sort of uncovered surface and had no control whatsoever grounding it. Bumpers/rubber coated plates, probably live with it though.

Anyways, my lats calmed down overnight, I think yesterday's workout aided recovery.

Went in today for arms session. I was determined to be on my best behaviour.

Didn't see the calf machine bloke, so settled in to my workout, confident I could finish the week without having to throttle someone.

As usual, I'm the only one left who practices social distancing and I wipe my station down after I use it. The other ferals in there do not GAF!

Done my triceps without incident, and turned my attention to biceps.

I noticed a few of the 'I train biceps everyday' crowd was in there, and the dumb bell area was packed. I jumped on the Hammer plate loaded preacher machine a few exercises early.

And then it happened.

A tanned ectomorph wearing a tshirt with cut off sleeves plonked his stuff on the ground off to the side of me, took out a notebook of some description- which I'm assuming contains the worlds greatest workout program - and then awkwardly hovered around me like he wanted to communicate.

"Hi mate. Yeah can I jump in with you?"

NO YOU CAN NOT JUMP IN. WE ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF A PANDEMIC!

"But I don't coronavirus."

I could feel that homicidal rage start to rise, and I had to bite my tongue as hard as possible while telling him to just come back in 5 minutes. Go barefoot deadlifting or something anything.

UbHdWPP97DTij3Ia0W0JZsmaWxI2FyMmUJUuwd1IO58bZvM7y8Essb78xkGwT2E3es0WVWuHeCB33zpMkcfq3CrFEfG_OJx9h3PIIsJN3i6HwOxJioKQGE5l20BTYheNpi1vuCCuzPXyIygl3ZbHVCgxfT7ca23mM88

The exchange left me even more convinced I'm the only sane one left in there.

I have spent the last hour searching for home gyms.

"You're ego lifting" facepalm.gif

Yeah I'm looking into if charges happened

Kid is a powerlifter called Charles, apparently a much better rival gym offered him a free 1 year membership and the arsehole who assaulted him had his membership suspended, hopefully he got banned and had an assault conviction.

Was another video of a vegan powerlifter deadlifting on a platform and this old c*** in his 50s came over and stood infront of his barbell daring him to push him over and lift it. Absolute madness.

His deadllifting technique is sublime lol and he is a kid lol. Hell I wish I was as good as that.

I wish the judge sentenced him to banning him from all gyms.

The only time I'd probably get annoyed with someone deadlifting is if they were Pendlay deadlifting using steel plates on some sort of uncovered surface and had no control whatsoever grounding it. Bumpers/rubber coated plates, probably live with it though.

Anyways, my lats calmed down overnight, I think yesterday's workout aided recovery.

Do you ever ice your body? I find it helps me. I wrap different body parts for 10min while I smash a protein shake. :drunk:

Do you ever ice your body? I find it helps me. I wrap different body parts for 10min while I smash a protein shake. :drunk:
I just started foam rolling more than once a week this week :$ (helps I bought 2 too, a firm one and a spiky one and not have to borrow mums small soft and squidgy Big W/Kmart one)

Morning pool sessions once a week I like, particularly the day after legs, so it was most Saturdays for a while then maybe another day for light impact cardio

But normally only ever iced after a footy game when I was younger, corkies

You won't regret it bro if you do

Expensive at first, but it'll pay off in the long run.

If money was no issue, the best would be for him to continue to remain at the gym and slowly and carefully build his home gym.

One plate and barbell at a time. lol. :p

I remember once a guy got caught stealing plates, he threw them out the window to collect later. Genius. :drunk:

You won't regret it bro if you do

Expensive at first, but it'll pay off in the long run.

One of the guys in the gym has a 5-50kg dumb bell set in the garage, and one of those multi things with smith machine and cables hanging off it.

Reckons he can do everything off that arrangement.

He paid full covid price. Cost him $12000 in total. If I can clear one side of the garage and park the fourbie outside, I could get that set up in a 3.5 x 7 metre space.

And then all I'd need is a mirror to admire the gains, and that Arnie poster.

One of the guys in the gym has a 5-50kg dumb bell set in the garage, and one of those multi things with smith machine and cables hanging off it.

He paid full covid price. Cost him $12000 in total. If I can clear one side of the garage and park the fourbie outside, I could get that set up in a 3.5 x 7 metre space.

Yeah sounds about right, would need a barbell or two and plates and a decent bench too.

A smith machine functional trainer/half rack will cost anywhere between $3-8k depending on the quality of it, plate loaded machines are normally cheaper than stack weight too. A few popular Pommy YouTubers like Matt Does Fitness and Joe Delaney have that sort of set up, but they have a separate half rack and just a functional trainer (no Smith).

A 5-50kg dumbbell set plus rack in 5kg increments should cost about 3k give or take including shipping (averaging around $4 per kilo), if you go in 2.5kg increments about 5.5-7k.

3.5m x 7m is tons of room for that, you'd be able to get in a bike or leg press or something easy too. I have a 3.5m x 5m space, got a rack, echo bike, 2 Ironmaster sets (equivalent footprint to a small hex rack) and still have plenty of room for to upgrade my rack to a full 6 poster and some sort of lat pulldown machine or something

Armortech/Flex Fitness does a 4 tier rack for hex dumbbells, only one I've seen on the Aussie market, should be perfect to store 5-50kg in 5 kg increments as long as you're comfortable picking the heavies off the bottom shelf.

But yeah, I spent over 8k on stuff including shipping, but I got $900 back on 100kg of plates and 20s, 25s and 30s and a rack to an old school mate after having it for 2-3 months as I was able to upgrade to a proper bumper set and Ironmasters, gave him about $200 discount there.

So what I currently have is probably 7-7.5k worth COVID new price.

Got all my mats from Big Brands on Greens Road Dandy, got them for $26-29 per 1x1m mat, Bunnings is about $32 a mat, not as dense, also always out of stock.

Went in today for arms session. I was determined to be on my best behaviour.

Didn't see the calf machine bloke, so settled in to my workout, confident I could finish the week without having to throttle someone.

As usual, I'm the only one left who practices social distancing and I wipe my station down after I use it. The other ferals in there do not GAF!

Done my triceps without incident, and turned my attention to biceps.

I noticed a few of the 'I train biceps everyday' crowd was in there, and the dumb bell area was packed. I jumped on the Hammer plate loaded preacher machine a few exercises early.

And then it happened.

A tanned ectomorph wearing a tshirt with cut off sleeves plonked his stuff on the ground off to the side of me, took out a notebook of some description- which I'm assuming contains the worlds greatest workout program - and then awkwardly hovered around me like he wanted to communicate.

"Hi mate. Yeah can I jump in with you?"

NO YOU CAN NOT JUMP IN. WE ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF A PANDEMIC!

"But I don't coronavirus."

I could feel that homicidal rage start to rise, and I had to bite my tongue as hard as possible while telling him to just come back in 5 minutes. Go barefoot deadlifting or something anything.

UbHdWPP97DTij3Ia0W0JZsmaWxI2FyMmUJUuwd1IO58bZvM7y8Essb78xkGwT2E3es0WVWuHeCB33zpMkcfq3CrFEfG_OJx9h3PIIsJN3i6HwOxJioKQGE5l20BTYheNpi1vuCCuzPXyIygl3ZbHVCgxfT7ca23mM88

The exchange left me even more convinced I'm the only sane one left in there.

I have spent the last hour searching for home gyms.
Umm, if you're in the gym where everyone is breathing heavily with no masks, sharing equipment is the least of your worries with covid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yesterday was PULL day, so I shouldnt get f**ked off, but there was another guy that sat on the seated leg press machine for literally 30minutes surfing his phone, making calls and doing a set every 10minutes.

It would be fine if he was going heavy, had an injury or doing rehab, but he was just f**king around doing light weight like he was on a holiday.

The issue with this for me, is this almost always sets up a chain reaction for others to avoid that machine and to do other things and end up interfering with my workout. :drunk:

Umm, if you're in the gym where everyone is breathing heavily with no masks, sharing equipment is the least of your worries with covid.
If someone has COVID in the gym and your in their proximity for a prolonged period of time, youre going to catch it. Wiping down gym equipment is next to useless, in terms of contact.

Cints who do seated dumbbell triceps extensions on the seated preacher station. fu**, me you can sit anywhere and do that sh*t.
+1

I have seen f**kwits use a bench in the middle of the weights area to do their abs, when we have an entire floor to do that crap.

3.5m x 7m is tons of room for that, you'd be able to get in a bike or leg press or something easy too. I have a 3.5m x 5m space, got a rack, echo bike, 2 Ironmaster sets (equivalent footprint to a small hex rack) and still have plenty of room for to upgrade my rack to a full 6 poster and some sort of lat pulldown machine or something

Leg press would be nice if I can get one in. From what I'm seeing online, many of them are 2 - 2.5 metres long and 1.5 m wide.

Because of my shoulder width, I have to walk through doors sideways, so I figure I'd need at least 80 cm clearance either side to load and unload the thing.

A space saving option would be one of them horizontal pin loaded leg presses with a dirty great big weight stack.

You know what would be really cool, functional, and safe for home gym training though?

Squat machine.

1614479145097.jpeg

Leg press would be nice if I can get one in. From what I'm seeing online, many of them are 2 - 2.5 metres long and 1.5 m wide.

Because of my shoulder width, I have to walk through doors sideways, so I figure I'd need at least 80 cm clearance either side to load and unload the thing.

A space saving option would be one of them horizontal pin loaded leg presses with a dirty great big weight stack.

You know what would be really cool, functional, and safe for home gym training though?

Squat machine.

View attachment 1066935
I'd love one of these, posted similar a week or 2 ago

It's a bit smaller, 1.71m long 1.14m wide

That squat machine is 1.46m x 1.14 so smaller too, only thing is I think it has a fixed height so wouldn't be great for tall people like me to get in or out of. Would work well for your standing calves though, you'd do your seated calves with the Smith bar.

I'd love one of these, posted similar a week or 2 ago

It's a bit smaller, 1.71m long 1.14m wide

That squat machine is 1.46m x 1.14 so smaller too, only thing is I think it has a fixed height so wouldn't be great for tall people like me to get in or out of. Would work well for your standing calves though, you'd do your seated calves with the Smith bar.

Gee they have a nice small footprint. Yeah I'm 183 cm so would want to get under that squat first and try it before pulling the trigger.

I've got a similar setup, but highly recommend adjustable dumbells rather than a full dumbell set.

Gee they have a nice small footprint. Yeah I'm 183 cm so would want to get under that squat first and try it before pulling the trigger.
You'd have no problems on the compact leg press, it has 3 or 4 different adjustments for the platform, but I'd say you should still be fine for the squat, I'm 197cm, so I'd say it's no good for me though as it is a set starting adjustment I think. Plenty of Powertec vids on similar products on YouTube though (Powertec and ATX were in business together a few years ago but they split)

But yeah, definitely pretty happy with the stuff I've got already from Sams.

I've got a similar setup, but highly recommend adjustable dumbells rather than a full dumbell set.
For mine it comes down to

Training style: body-building/gym brah types would likely value the importance of dumbbells far higher than your barbell enthusiast/powerlifter/strongman types who'd probably be better suited to a heavy adjustable pair just in case (maybe Powerblocks are ideal here)

Strength levels: stronger lifters need variation though

Space

Cost

I'm a bit of an allrounder and changing my Ironmasters from heavy to light was a bit annoying even with the 2 pairs, but it also makes no sense for me to have expensive big 45s, 50s, 55s etc lying around taking up a heap of real estate, gathering dust for months until I'll need them for shrugs or dumbbell presses etc. So for me the ideal set up is a 2.5-20/25kg hex set in 2.5kg increments, then Ironmasters for heavy. Got 10s, 12.5s and 15s for curls and stuff so I'll slowly build towards 2.5-20/25kg though, probably get a 7.5 and 17.5 next then after that I'll need a rack, can leave one of my Ironmasters set at 55lbs now at least though and work from there. I think the heaviest I've gone with the Ironmasters is 102.5lbs so far for flat presses (so around 45-46kg), only hitting 85lbs for incline but, but still not too bad, get a better mind muscle connection from incline dumbbells compared to incline bench.

Cints who do seated dumbbell triceps extensions on the seated preacher station. fu**, me you can sit anywhere and do that sh*t.
Lel
Last one. The eshay who just walked in, lifting fu** all and more interested in flexing his brands.
Jokes on him, were all old pricks who wear kmart gear and don't care.
Lel

I shop at Lowes, Big W or Target if I don't have the cash for Johnny Bigg or Kingsize :(

Lel

Lel

I shop at Lowes, Big W or Target if I don't have the cash for Johnny Bigg or Kingsize :(
Nothing wrong with that what so ever!

I dont mind admitting I like nice crap.

With that said, I dont judge or care what a guy at the gym wears.

As long as he doesnt stink of stale sweat regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back