Strength Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym III

Remove this Banner Ad

Finished tonight with some upright rows with the straight bar on the squat rack.

Didn't feel bad as the odds of someone wanting to do a leg exercise in there would have been like 1/100.

Seriously? Nothing pisses me orf more than people doing upright rows in the squat rack.

You must be joking with that sort of carry on mate.

You are getting in the road of serious lifters like myself who need to do their bicep curls in there.

Seriously? Nothing pisses me orf more than people doing upright rows in the squat rack.

You are getting in the road of serious lifters like myself who need to do their bicep curls in there.
Mate that's what the deadlift platform is for

Haha the person using it before me was this massive young bloke doing bicep curls.

So over the holidays instead of going to gym in the AM I started going in the PM as no need to get up early for work. The AM crowd is usually pretty good because there's 3-4 of us regulars that go most weekdays and everyone manages to do what they want to get done without getting in anyone's way, fighting over equipment etc. The PM crowd however there's a lot of weight hogs, lots of dudes taking 5 minutes between sets to flex in mirrors, nobody feels like putting weights back etc. Don't think I'll be going back in the PM again because it just adds 10-15 minutes to the session while you're waiting around for people to finish with stuff you want to use.

But the thing that really tripped me off was this dude that was screaming during and after doing olympic lifts. So he'd grunt and moan like a truck while he was doing the exercise but then he'd drop the bar to the floor from head height (annoying as * in an upstairs gym because everything shakes) and then he'd scream at himself in the mirror for a good five seconds. Literally screaming at the mirror at the top of his lungs and occasionally punching the rack for * knows what reason.

Never posted in this thread before as I try to let things slide but I really, really wasn't sure what to make of this.
The white Goku was back today. Got about 5 minutes into his throw weights and scream routine before the teenage girl at the desk walked over and told him to cut the s**t. He listened.

This is more outside the gym but it annoys me when someone says, "I haven't got time to go to the gym". Firstly it usually just comes off as a lame excuse by most people. I'm sure that there are some people for who it is true but usually not the ones who say it. Secondly, it seems almost accusatory that I only go because I have so much time on my hands. Had someone say this to me the other day. You work part time and do bugger all else while I work fulltime while doing my PhD, but sure you tell me all about how much time you don't have.

Last edited:
This is more outside the gym but it annoys me when someone says, "I haven't got time to go to the gym". Firstly it usually just comes off as a lame excuse by most people. I'm sure that there are some people for who it is true but usually not the ones who say it. Secondly, it seems almost accusatory that I only go because I have so much time on my hands. Had someone say this to me the other day. You work part time and do bugger all else while I work fulltime while doing my PhD, but sure you tell me all about how much time you don't have.
I usually just assume "i dont have time" means "Its low on my priority list". People always make time for the stuff that matters to them, which is completely fine to me. Having said all that it is annoying when "I dont have time" comes across the way you mention. I usually find its more in a "You must be so organised and dedicated" complimentary way.

I usually just assume "i dont have time" means "Its low on my priority list". People always make time for the stuff that matters to them, which is completely fine to me. Having said all that it is annoying when "I dont have time" comes across the way you mention. I usually find its more in a "You must be so organised and dedicated" complimentary way.

If I were to sit on the outside and watch an exchange.....

Person: I dont have time to gym
Gymer: Why not? Surely you can free up an hour to work out?

I immediately think they actually do NOT have time. The person might actually devote hours a day on social media, watching tv, snacking. Sure that could be used for gym, but to them its low priority as you said. Things they like doing takes up their time, so they're out of time. Gymers may think why is it so hard to make time when I do? I guess everyones different

vision-scarlet-witch.gif

Myself, I don't have time to gym as frequently as I used to.

If I were to sit on the outside and watch an exchange.....

Person: I dont have time to gym
Gymer: Why not? Surely you can free up an hour to work out?

I immediately think they actually do NOT have time. The person might actually devote hours a day on social media, watching tv, snacking. Sure that could be used for gym, but to them its low priority as you said. Things they like doing takes up their time, so they're out of time. Gymers may think why is it so hard to make time when I do? I guess everyones different

vision-scarlet-witch.gif

Myself, I don't have time to gym as frequently as I used to.
When my son was born (actually a few weeks before my son was born) i adapted my workouts to make them more efficient and streamlined, especially during the week when i have only a few hours at home that id rather spend with him and my wife. Also started doing morning workouts (which i really didnt enjoy).

As you say, if it a priority youll make it work, if its not you wont (and theres nothing wrong with that)

When my son was born (actually a few weeks before my son was born) i adapted my workouts to make them more efficient and streamlined, especially during the week when i have only a few hours at home that id rather spend with him and my wife. Also started doing morning workouts (which i really didnt enjoy).

As you say, if it a priority youll make it work, if its not you wont (and theres nothing wrong with that)
exactly.

i admit before i used to tell others, who had way more commitments than I, they should gym it, no excuses, make time. but then realised it was fruitless and pointless. And realised i was being a dick to them about it. Perhaps part of it was to give the impression im a committed gym rat etc.

now i dont give a s**t.

It's similar to if you don't eat a heap of crap (and they know it) and they do. It's not really about you at all, it's about making themselves feel better / justified in their behaviours. People need to chill out and not be threatened. We've all got more things we want to do then there are hours in the day to do them, everyone makes their own choice on what gets missed. As long as it isn't impacting anyone else live and let live.

It's similar to if you don't eat a heap of crap (and they know it) and they do. It's not really about you at all, it's about making themselves feel better / justified in their behaviours. People need to chill out and not be threatened. We've all got more things we want to do then there are hours in the day to do them, everyone makes their own choice on what gets missed. As long as it isn't impacting anyone else live and let live.

Let's face it, if people worry about what others are doing or not doing, they themselves should redirect worrying towards themselves. For example, one of us (gymer) queries a non gymer why are they eating crap/drinking soft drinks instead of water etc. But the gymer themselves like beers on the weekend (they themselves could drink water which would be better for them).

There's always levels and degrees, and relative.

Let's face it, if people worry about what others are doing or not doing, they themselves should redirect worrying towards themselves. For example, one of us (gymer) queries a non gymer why are they eating crap/drinking soft drinks instead of water etc. But the gymer themselves like beers on the weekend (they themselves could drink water which would be better for them).

There's always levels and degrees, and relative.
In a perfect world we'd all exercise more, eat healthier, volunteer our time, spend time learning new skills, read more, spend more time with our families, work harder to get ahead and also spend more time relaxing to improve our mental health. You can't do all of those. These are time constraints, so rich or poor, you aren't doing all of those. None of us can be perfect.

I think where most friction occurs is when someone doing any of those positive traits encounters someone doing none of them. Despite what the Instagram 'If I can do it anyone can!' influencers peddle, unless you're already motivated you're highly unlikely to be inspired by anyone else to do something. If the person doesn't want to change, they'll either quickly pass by you doing positive things, mock it (often attempting to disguise as 'friendly' banter, but clearly trying to make you not value it and drop it) or 'profess concern' that your positive actions are actually bad for you ('Oh won't you injure yourself?', 'Isn't that bad for kidneys?' etc etc). The latter one is usually from close friends or partner, worried you'll either think less of them, get more attention from others now or both.

In a perfect world we'd all exercise more, eat healthier, volunteer our time, spend time learning new skills, read more, spend more time with our families, work harder to get ahead and also spend more time relaxing to improve our mental health. You can't do all of those. These are time constraints, so rich or poor, you aren't doing all of those. None of us can be perfect.

I think where most friction occurs is when someone doing any of those positive traits encounters someone doing none of them. Despite what the Instagram 'If I can do it anyone can!' influencers peddle, unless you're already motivated you're highly unlikely to be inspired by anyone else to do something. If the person doesn't want to change, they'll either quickly pass by you doing positive things, mock it (often attempting to disguise as 'friendly' banter, but clearly trying to make you not value it and drop it) or 'profess concern' that your positive actions are actually bad for you ('Oh won't you injure yourself?', 'Isn't that bad for kidneys?' etc etc). The latter one is usually from close friends or partner, worried you'll either think less of them, get more attention from others now or both.

I think the M word there is what pisses people off, and their response (pass you by, mock, or act concerned) are natural. But i dont think these are bad responses, because as once a non gymer and people asked why the hell i wasnt smashing weights etc, i felt awkward for myself and the gymer....why is it your concern/business?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha the "I don't have time" excuse for just about anything in life is just made up I reckon about 90% of the time. I would actually be fine if people would simply more often say the truthful things along the lines of "I just really don't like it and don't want to do it, really can't be bothered, too hard" and I'd respect the honesty.

"I don't have time" is just people trying to convince both themselves and others that they would do the thing they should do if they could help it. Complete rubbish 9 times out of 10.

Not that you should overly question why someone isn't doing anything anyway but just feels like most of the time it's an unprompted answer

Haha the "I don't have time" excuse for just about anything in life is just made up I reckon about 90% of the time. I would actually be fine if people would simply more often say the truthful things along the lines of "I just really don't like it and don't want to do it, really can't be bothered, too hard" and I'd respect the honesty.
Worse are those who'd say 'I'd do anything to look like that!'. Not to me (I'm not that delusional), but to some fit guy / girl. Well no, you wouldn't or you'd be trying. 'I wish I looked like <x>, but can't be ****ed doing anything/everything they do' would earn more points.

This ^

I can understand if there is some underlying health issue for not being able to train/workout, but everyone has time, it doesnt need to be long and it doesnt need to be complicated. Even if its just an hour and by that I include traveling and warming up, still would leave you with a solid 30+min workout. That done 3 times per week is better than just giving up.

I like how you have prioritized your kid and and wife. With that as your foundation, the rest of your life will be in order.:thumbsu:

This ^

I can understand if there is some underlying health issue for not being able to train/workout, but everyone has time, it doesnt need to be long and it doesnt need to be complicated. Even if its just an hour and by that I include traveling and warming up, still would leave you with a solid 30+min workout. That done 3 times per week is better than just giving up.

I like how you have prioritized your kid and and wife. With that as your foundation, the rest of your life will be in order.:thumbsu:
I’ve squeezed it down to 40-45 (which is warm up, session and I work out at home so no travel). Do it in the morning while the little man is still asleep.

Honestly I had terrible health and fitness role models at home, no exercise and rarely home cooked meals so it’s important to me that he sees me and the wife staying active, doing mental health checks, cooking and preparing healthy food.

I do think if you can’t find 30-45 minutes in your day for your health and well-being then you’re doing it wrong, it also strikes me as really odd that EVERYONE would say they’d do anything for their children but don’t consider just staying active and healthy…

People using benches just to put their water bottle, towel and sit on during rest periods. If you are doing standing bicep curls, you don't need the bench. I don't know how people lost the ability to show some basic consideration, but it's pretty much every day at the gym now. Obviously this is during busy periods, if there are 5 benches free and 2 people in the gym I don't give a s**t. Sick of having to go up to people and ask if I can work in or use it, they're normally chill about it, but I shouldn't need to ask in the first place.

It's bubbling away and I'm afraid some guy is going to cop it after I've had to deal with this 10 days in a row.

People using benches just to put their water bottle, towel and sit on during rest periods. If you are doing standing bicep curls, you don't need the bench. I don't know how people lost the ability to show some basic consideration, but it's pretty much every day at the gym now. Obviously this is during busy periods, if there are 5 benches free and 2 people in the gym I don't give a s**t. Sick of having to go up to people and ask if I can work in or use it, they're normally chill about it, but I shouldn't need to ask in the first place.

It's bubbling away and I'm afraid some guy is going to cop it after I've had to deal with this 10 days in a row.
Im trying to remember if i ever did this and im pretty sure i didnt but (and to be clear im not defending it) i think its more a mindless thing to do.

I reckon i probably did until someone one day asked if the bench i had my s**t on was free (and to be fair i was likely using the bench just before it).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back