Analysis Is Rocky the Right Man for the Job?

Is Rocky the Right Man for the Job?

• Yes

Votes: 68 28.3%
  • No

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • I'm not sure...

Votes: 33 13.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a very well argued piece by Stafford. I don't agree with much of it and I'm looking forward to trying to pick it apart later on, but you have to appreciate how well constructed his logic is.

Agree. Good article.

It started out at $800,000 now its $750,000, signs that no one knows what he wants

What we do know is what he originally asked for was shut down pretty quickly and suddenly Rockliff pulled out of negotiations.

Good article. Really tough decision for the club if they are contemplating any of this.

I think trading out elite talent like Rocky who is happy to stay, although expecting to be paid well to do so, is fraught with danger. Huge risk especially if all we get back are draft picks. Would have to be certain the benefit out ways the risk. Would also need a club to be offering up a deal to good to refuse e.g. Suns two first rounders?

I am leaning towards keeping him, but maybe replace as captain.

That said I am not confident that Rocky would handle this situation well and knowing our luck would probably mean he ends up leaving as FA the following year and we wish we traded him.

I can see why going would work for him playing in a slick team and getting to finals ( though Fremantle this year shows there is no such thing as a sure thing), but he is the type of guy that values loyalty. In 20 years time I think staying during the rebuild, even if not getting to finals, might actually provide him with more satisfaction.

I can see why going would work for him playing in a slick team and getting to finals ( though Fremantle this year shows there is no such thing as a sure thing), but he is the type of guy that values loyalty. In 20 years time I think staying during the rebuild, even if not getting to finals, might actually provide him with more satisfaction.

Pavlich replacement?.....but who would we get of equal standing?

You are right though, Rocky is a very loyal type..

What we do know is what he originally asked for was shut down pretty quickly and suddenly Rockliff pulled out of negotiations.

Shut down because of 2 injury plagued years and rightly so. They know they've paid a lot already for beams to watch from the crowd. Hanley has also failed them. If Rocky can get back to his AA form and no injuries then things will happen. There's no need to go bang a year early.

Such as ? Punting Rockliff because hanley has failed doesn't sound ideal to me. What if Rockliff wants to help the club get back up rather than chase personal glory ?
Such as there are other considerations than his on-field abilities. Such as he won't likely be here when we next challenge for a flag, so he could be a good trade-in for a newer model. And as he points out, he is a lot easier to move on than Hanley.

Such as there are other considerations than his on-field abilities. Such as he won't likely be here when we next challenge for a flag, so he could be a good trade-in for a newer model. And as he points out, he is a lot easier to move on than Hanley.
I would much rather have Rocky running around next season and more to come helping out Mathieson, Keays, Jansen etc. Challenging for finals would be a 5 year realistic view than a premiership. Unrealistic if you think otherwise.

Not sure about the 'good article' comment.
Could easily change the players names and use the same article for another day. ie Replace Rockliff with Riewoldt.
Last year is was Gibbs that should be 'cut loose' and look at him now. They should have traded Kreuzer they said, the list goes on. These media people know s**t about footy clubs, all they know is that they need an article written and it needs to be newsworthy. The same writer will then write in 12 months time 'Lions trade away their captain and lost their soul'.

At the moment we have a captain that wants to stay and take this club further - why on earth would we want to cut him loose, as stated by the heading of the article. Can't see how replacing him with a top 10 18 year old is going to make us better. In fact, by the club forcing a trade, it would create huge supporter backlash and the last thing we need is supporter vs supporter - we need to stick together.
I'm a Rocky fan and a great believer that with a united list and a list that has been able to build together over the past 2-3 years, good things are around the corner. Trading out captain and best 5 player is not the way to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Things can turn around quickly in this business, but the Lions are set to wipe the slate clean and start again."

That one line makes both my head and my heart hurt.

Not again :(
They'll have fun getting members on board with that line. Let's start a rebuild again because that'll be fun.

yeah I'm not so sure on that. If he stays and we don't make solid progress towards finals in the next 2-3 years, I can certainly see him leaving for some success at the end of his carreer - and loyalty or no loyalty, you can't blame him.
As much as we all watched Merrett's farewell speech for his loyalty etc., he did look for a trade a couple of years ago (and didn't find it) and certainly would have taken a trade to another club in search of some success.

yeah I'm not so sure on that. If he stays and we don't make solid progress towards finals in the next 2-3 years, I can certainly see him leaving for some success at the end of his carreer - and loyalty or no loyalty, you can't blame him.
As much as we all watched Merrett's farewell speech for his loyalty etc., he did look for a trade a couple of years ago (and didn't find it) and certainly would have taken a trade to another club in search of some success.

That is a fabrication.

That is a fabrication.
Those of us without direct access to players etc. can only go on what we read. This article quoting Peter Schwab certainly indicates that Merrett was looking at leaving the club... but remember it as you will!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-30/lion-looking-at-options
Merrett 'looking at options' for leaving the Lions
Nathan Schmook September 30, 2014 8:56 AM
326750-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Daniel Merrett is considering his future, say the Lions

THE BRISBANE Lions have opened the door for key position player Daniel Merrett to leave the club as the contracted veteran explores trade options.

Less than a month after saying the 29-year-old was a required player, the Lions are now willing to consider a trade in the upcoming NAB AFL Trade Period.

Lions' talent acquisition and retention manager Peter Schwab said the club would wait to see what options arose before making a call on Merrett's future.

"A lot of interest came for Daniel and I think that sparked him a little bit," Schwab told SEN radio on Tuesday.

"He has been a great player for Brisbane and by his own admission he has been a little bit flat in his football the last 12 months.

"I know he is exploring some options so we'll just wait and see what Daniel comes up with, if he wants to be traded or not, and then we'll consider it depending on what offers we get."

Earlier this month the Lions poured cold water on rumours Merrett was seeking a trade after 10 seasons at the club.

"He's contracted for another couple of years (and) as far as I'm concerned, Daniel's a required player," football manager Dean Warren toldAFL.com.au.

Merrett played 19 games in 2014, starting at full-back before he was switched to full-forward mid-season.
Merrett, who has played 171 games since his debut in 2005, has made no secret of the fact he prefers to play in the back half.

He is contracted until the end of 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back