Analysis Is the original top 8 system better

Remove this Banner Ad

End of the day in 97 and 98 we still won those premierships the hard way and deserved them regardless of what other supporters may say. Here's hoping we can be the first team to win outside the top 4 this year, the stupid decision to have a bye round may well help us.

Edit: outside top 4 under new finals system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, not suggesting the Crows didn't earn their premierships in 97 and 98. The argument that the 98 flag doesn't count because the Crows finished 5th and lost in week 1 of the finals doesn't hold water as, under the current system they would have had the Crows play the 8th ranked team at home in week 1, instead of the 4th ranked team away from home.

In the last 3 finals, the Crows beat the top 3 teams on the ladder, all away from home. On top of that, the Kangaroos were the minor premiers and were on an 11 game winning streak going into the Grand Final. If that's not earning a flag, I don't know what is.

Yeah, not suggesting the Crows didn't earn their premierships in 97 and 98. The argument that the 98 flag doesn't count because the Crows finished 5th and lost in week 1 of the finals doesn't hold water as, under the current system they would have had the Crows play the 8th ranked team at home in week 1, instead of the 4th ranked team away from home.

In the last 3 finals, the Crows beat the top 3 teams on the ladder, all away from home. On top of that, the Kangaroos were the minor premiers and were on an 11 game winning streak going into the Grand Final. If that's not earning a flag, I don't know what is.

That argument often comes from Power supporters, but they seemingly forget that they also took advantage of a flawed finals system in 2004 to win a premiership.

I'd also disagree with your assertion that losing the first final means nothing for the top 4.

Ask anyone here on this board if they would prefer the Crows to play in a home prelim or play in a home semi for the chance to play in a away prelim. I would be very surprised if anyone preferred the home semi option.
Okay, fair enough, that is a difference, depending on where that home final is played. Some away trips are worse than others and a lot of those games would just be MCG regardless. Even as a Crows fan, I wouldn't be appalled at going to the MCG, although clearly hosting the prelim would be better.

However, I just don't agree on the degree of advantage the top teams have earned. There are nine finals and in only two of those do the teams get a get-out-of-jail-free card if they lose. That is a massive free kick and one I agree they've earned but, once you've used it, I don't think you have the right to a gold paved route through to the prelim. I'm not saying this because the Crows finished fifth this year. I've had this opinion ever since the system came in.
I think that the reason top 4 teams make the prelims most years is not because they have the double chance. It is because they are generally the best 4 teams that year, so they almost always beat the teams ranked 5-8.
This is the crux of it. The way the system is set up currently, the flag goes to 1, 2, or 3 (very rarely 4). If you made it a little harder for the top four and a little easier for the bottom four, what would the result be? A rash of premierships to teams ranked 7th and 8th? I don't think so. I think you might have a few prelims that featured teams from 5-8 and very, very occasionally a dark horse premier. Personally, I would like to see that. In the main, I think the top teams would still get the job done but finals would be more exciting and unpredictable, and you might see the odd fairytale result.

Very good point

Definitely room for improvement.

This year may work out differently but it's really only the top 4 that matter.

With more teams than ever and a more even competition I'd like to see 9 teams involved in some way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back