It's clear that the pre-finals bye is disadvantaging the top teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Its not a exactly a black and white answer (no pun intended) however a combination of things. Pies were super hot and took advantage of it of course.

Pies were clearly too good and hot.
I also think they had to be capitalized on us being slightly off from lack of game composure. We were way too panicky in the back half (not normally like us) and general fumbles which suggest a lack of game awareness.

As the poster said above, clearly the advantage of finishing top is not what it used to be. Maybe we did it better last year but trying to manage/keep players up through 1 game in month is still tricky and no one knows what the best way is yet. Im sure after a few years we might see a ‘best practice’ for teams trying to manage lack of football.

All good points, but I feel the thread was made on the back of Richmond losing and is in some ways to preempt a potential eagles defeat.
Seems a very knee jerk reaction when a top team lost tonight.

2016 - pre finals bye, top 3 sides made prelim.
2017 - pre finals bye, top 4 sides made prelim.
2018 - pre finals bye, top 3 sides made prelim.
Only difference is this year tigers lost the prelim so how are the top sides disadvantaged?

Last edited:
How many flags did they win?

Didn't Richmond win the flag last year from top 4. Or is this just a top 2 scenario !!!

Are you still salty with the Bulldogs, west coast haven't even played yet

So basically this is a thread saying you don't think you can win a flag or prelim

All good points, but I feel the thread was made on the back of Richmond losing and is in some ways to preempt a potential eagles defeat.
Seems a very knee jerk reaction when a top team lost tonight.

2017 - pre finals bye, top 4 sides made prelim.
2018 - pre finals bye, top 3 sides made prelim.
Only difference is this year tigers lost the prelim so how are the top sides disadvantaged?

As i said above you are only looking for a straight answers where is merely a combination of many factors.

A win or loss doesnt fully determine whether the bye affects the team. You could win but the bye could have affected you but the other team didnt take full advantage of any sloppiness or simply werent good enough. Clearly the pies did, they argubly played out of their skins and we were just way off it. The flipside is no bye the pies win anyway (highly likely given the way they played) but we might have been a bit sharper and the contest a lot more even at the start rather than being blown away.

In summary theres not enough time to say either way, however whats clear of the last few years the extra bye has taken away a lot of the previous advantage. Its now a question whether it actually makes you worse considering theres not much football being played. However in time i think teams finishing on top might work out a way to manage it but again clearly match fitness is an issue.

As i said above you are only looking for a straight answers where is merely a combination of many factors.

A win or loss doesnt fully determine whether the bye affects the team. You could win but the bye could have affected you but the other team didnt take full advantage of any sloppiness or simply werent good enough. Clearly the pies did, they argubly played out of their skins and we were just way off it. The flipside is no bye the pies win anyway (highly likely given the way they played) but we might have been a bit sharper and the contest a lot more even at the start rather than being blown away.

In summary theres not enough time to say either way, however whats clear of the last few years the extra bye has taken away a lot of the previous advantage. Its now a question whether it actually makes you worse considering theres not much football being played. However in time i think teams finishing on top might work out a way to manage it but again clearly match fitness is an issue.

I see your points without necessarily buying in like you are. With respect Pies were just better, imo the bye had little to do with it. Richmond had the same exact circumstances last finals series

2017 Pre finals bye
Win week 1
Week off
Win prelim

2018 Pre finals bye
Win week 1
Week off
Lose prelim.

If you can't get your team 'up' for a prelim then you probably weren't gonna get up regardless of the week break or otherwise. Odds are that having a week off reduces the chances of getting injuries and lets sore players freshen up. Its still a good thing, its just sometimes teams aren't able to take advantage of it.

If you can't get your team 'up' for a prelim then you probably weren't gonna get up regardless of the week break or otherwise. Odds are that having a week off reduces the chances of getting injuries and lets sore players freshen up. Its still a good thing, its just sometimes teams aren't able to take advantage of it.

The bye doesnt affect your motivation, its more on the performance side. 1 bye is okay but then 1 game in a month can potentially affect match fitness/composure.

The bye doesnt affect your motivation, its more on the performance side. 1 bye is okay but then 1 game in a month can potentially affect match fitness/composure.

Why was it OK last year for Richmond then? Its just an excuse. Tigers wanted it a lot more last year. Collingwood were just hungrier tonight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has it really changed anything though?

Looking back at the grand finalists from 20 years ago...

5th beat 1st 1998
2nd beat 6th 1999

1st beat 3rd 2000
2nd beat 1st 2001
2nd beat 4th 2002
3rd beat 2nd 2003
1st beat 2nd 2004
2nd beat 3rd 2005
1st beat 4th 2006
1st beat 2nd 2007
2nd beat 1st 2008
2nd beat 1st 2009
1st beat 3rd 2010
2nd beat 1st 2011
3rd beat 1st 2012
1st beat 3rd 2013
2nd beat 1st 2014
3rd beat 2nd 2015
7th beat 1st 2016
3rd beat 1st 2017

At the moment we are going to get either 2nd v 3rd or 3rd v 5th.

And given that Melbourne have beaten 2nd and 4th in the last month it's not like its a massive shock if they make the Final.

Im not gonna say the bye cost us tonight because we were ******* shithouse regadless but I do hate the bye. There is no point of it and it only serves to reduce the advantage afforded to top 4 teams which should be there. Also that weekend without footy sucks.

The league has been incredibly even in the three seasons the extra bye has been in place. That more than any other factor explains these upsets.

The likes of Geelong and Hawthorn, when they were at their peak, would still steamroll to the grand final, bye a or no bye.

The Tiges only have themselves to blame for losing last night but I do agree the bye disadvantages top teams. Teams that win their qualifying final only play 2 games in 4 weeks and that can definitely ruin momentum.

I've never liked the bye. 2 byes are excessive for teams that win qualifying final and also for fans like myself who are just eager to watch finals right away, I get impatient during the bye. The AFL should scrap it next season.

The league has been incredibly even in the three seasons the extra bye has been in place. That more than any other factor explains these upsets.

The likes of Geelong and Hawthorn, when they were at their peak, would still steamroll to the grand final, bye a or no bye.
Hawthorn struggled big time in the prelims when we had the week off just scraped in 3 years in a row.

Our best prelim performance was in 2015 when we didn't get a week off.

In the last 3 years we have had 2 teams (Geelong 16 & Richmond 18) get pantsed in a prelim right from the start after having the week off before the prelim.

Can't really remember that happening before certainly not under the current top 8 system can anyone else?

There's no question Richmond were affected last night. For the people asking the question as to why it didn't affect them last year? There's a difference between playing GWS and Collingwood at the G. There's also the factor of "hunting" for the premiership, as opposed to being the hunted for the whole year, with teams having a whole year and a couple of previous attempts to look at your game plan. It's was a BS decision in the first place and hopefully this year is the last.

I think the premise if the OP is nonsense. There were other factors at play in 2016 and the Magpies finished 3rd. It's not unusual for 3rd to knock off first in the PF. If anything it indiictates the PF today is the stronger side of the draw.

I think it definitely can have an impact. They talk about momentum during games, but what about across the season/finals? It's like the Tiger train had one extra stop than Collingwood and that slowed them down. Mind you every team is different, so it might not have applied so much to another team. Given our slow starts this year I would have rather not have had the bye, but oh well, can only do what we can do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back