Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
13 November 2002
Socceroos fixture sealed
www.thefa.com

We are delighted to announce that England will play Australia on February 12, 2003, in a friendly match that will be staged at West Ham United's Boleyn Ground, Upton Park.

This historic fixture will be the first time the two nations have met each other in England, with the previous five fixtures being played in Australia, the last of which was in Sydney in 1991.

Most of the Australian team now play their club football in Europe, including several in the Premier League: Harry Kewell, Mark Viduka, Paul Okon (Leeds) Mark Schwarzer, Tony Vidmar (Middlesbrough), Danny Tiatto (Manchester City), Lucas Neill (Blackburn) and Stan Lazaridis (Birmingham).

It will be fascinating football encounter.

England coach, Sven-Goran Eriksson, who plays a significant role in deciding which friendly fixtures the Three Lions arrange, believes this will be will be a high quality match.

"Australia have an excellent team now," he told TheFA.com. "We know this from the many players they have playing at the top clubs in the Premier League.

"It's an ideal game for us to play and it will be nice to take England to Upton Park, which was the first ground I visited in this country as England manager."

The FA's Director of Marketing and Communications, Paul Barber, told us how exciting a prospect he believes the match is, saying: "We're delighted to be hosting this historic fixture. Australia are one of the fastest developing football nations and I'm sure this will be a fantastic occasion for fans of both countries, not least because it follows on so soon after the Ashes series.

"We are very pleased to be taking this match to the Boleyn Ground, a top class stadium with an excellent playing surface, for what should be a fantastic occasion. We chose London for this match as it will be 18 months since the senior England team last played in the capital.

"Additionally, the very large ex-patriate Australian population in London can get easy access to the match and help create the traditionally fantastic atmosphere at West Ham."

Soccer Australia Chairman, Ian Knop, said: "With the many great Australian players currently playing in the top flight in England, not to mention the long tradition of great sporting contests between the two nations, I'm sure this match will be a great event and initiate much interest both in Australia and in the UK."

West Ham United Chairman, Terence Brown, said: "I am delighted the Club has been chosen by The Football Association to host a full England International at the Boleyn Ground.

"This will be the first time West Ham United stages a Senior International, although the Club is entertaining the England Under-20s when they play Switzerland here in December.

"The Boleyn Ground at Upton Park is now considered one of the finest stadiums in the Premiership and it will provide the perfect venue for this prestigious fixture."

I'll confirm that Soccer Australia is reporting it, too... just saw their releases on it as delivered to my e-mail. So it's now official on two counts.

I also have it on good authority that the Socceroos were chosen by the English F.A. over both Denmark and the USA-- and although I'd rather see the USA play England (they'd provide a better challenge for the English, IMHO) :mad: , there should be no excuses for Frank Farina to get a full-strength Socceroos squad available.

Farina gets what he wants-- an environment where he can pick and choose from the best of the best. Let's see if he gets exactly that for this friendly, and moreover, let's see if he gets the cooperation required from the clubs abroad as well.

Cheers,
William

Originally posted by robbieando

This historic fixture will be the first time the two nations have met each other in England, with the previous five fixtures being played in Australia, the last of which was in Sydney in 1991.

Does anyone remember this game? From memory England won 1-0 and the Australian team were happy with the effort they had put in (fair enough too considering the quality of players we would have had back then)

The english lose to australia in everything but soccer. It was only inevitable that the two teams would meet soon. The english want some pride back.

Originally posted by you_idiot
the Socceroos were chosen by the English F.A. over the USA-- and although I'd rather see the USA play England (they'd provide a better challenge for the English, IMHO) :mad:

I heard the English didnt want to lose against superstars such as Alexi Lalas, Clint Mathis Brian McBride and Tony Meola because their reputation would be shot

Originally posted by David O'Leary

I heard the English didnt want to lose against superstars such as Alexi Lalas, Clint Mathis Brian McBride and Tony Meola because their reputation would be shot

I don't know if this post is a p*ss-take or not, but frankly, I don't care. But seriously, such an assumption wouldn't be too far off the mark.

I won't hijack this thread, but I'll say that a USA team made up mainly of MLS-based stars-- take for example the one of young domestic-based talent that will face El Salvador at RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C., this weekend-- if they were to beat England, and England wouldn't know what would hit them... yeah, that is something the English could not live with.

IMHO, England have officially ducked the USA, because they don't want to lose. They can beat the Socceroos, and they know it, simple as that.

But then again, as the expression goes, if "if's" and "but's" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas, right? :eek:

Yet back on topic... should be a good challenge, a litimus test for where the Socceroos stand, and we'll see an Ashes battle in soccer. :)

Cheers,
William

Should be a fun game.

Lets see if the English field a full strength team. Liverpool and Manchester United will be well pleased if Muscat and Tiatto are selected. Just imagine Beckham or Owen missing 6 months resulting from a rough challenge.

Not very nice to wish injury on anyone.

Back to the game, i can finally see a full strength SocceRoos taking on the poms in what should be a great battle. Anyone want to go to the game :)

I wouldnt mind puttin a few bob on us actually winning as i think we can anyone else think the same.

IMHO, England have officially ducked the USA, because they don't want to lose. They can beat the Socceroos, and they know it, simple as that.

:)

I won't hijack this thread, but I'll say that a USA team made up mainly of MLS-based stars-- take for example the one of young domestic-based talent that will face El Salvador at RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C., this weekend-- if they were to beat England, and England wouldn't know what would hit them... yeah, that is something the English could not live with.

Bullpucky. Given the right preparation, Australia has just as much chance of beating England as the US in England.

Originally posted by sbagman

Bullpucky. Given the right preparation, Australia has just as much chance of beating England as the US in England.

I hope you're right, honestly. I'd love to see the Socceroos beat England.

Like I said in my first post on this thread, Frank Farina gets what he desires here, a European-based friendly so that he can use his best players, provided that he gets the cooperation from the players' clubs-- which, as we all know, is not necessarily a given. And that's the "X" factor, really.

But in any event, we'll see what happens as far as the squad selection goes.

I was only referring to what the English F.A. might be thinking, FWIW. But having said that, yeah, the Socceroos can beat England, I just think the USA would have stood a better chance of doing so, IMO.

Cheers,
William

Originally posted by wellsy
Not very nice to wish injury on anyone.

Ummm :(

Just pointing out a fact. Muscat is a dirty bastard.

What would be a likely starting XI for Australia? Practically the same team that played off against Uruguay?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Unwritten_Law
What would be a likely starting XI for Australia? Practically the same team that played off against Uruguay?

Probably add Tiatto and Neill for starters, in place of Okon and Murphy. Is Tony Vidmar still playing international football or has he quit it to focus on the domestic leagues? If he is still playing I would have him in. Just have a feeling that he isn't playing internationals anymore.

It should be one hell of a team though. A full strength Aussie side playing more than once every 4 years, should be a beauty.

I couldn't see why a full strength Aussie side couldn't beat the Poms. All of our squad are regularly playing in the best leagues in the world so we don't lack any class.

I would like to see this side play England

I would go 4-4-2

Goalkeeper - Mark Schwarzer (Middlesbrough)

Right Back - Brett Emerton (Feyenoord)
Centre Back - Craig Moore (Rangers) Capt
Centre Back - Tony Popovic (Crystal Palace)
Left Back - Lucas Neill (Blackburn)

Right Wing - Marco Bresciano (Parma)
Centre Midfield - Josip Skoko (Genk)
Centre Midfield - Luke Wilkshire (Middlesbrough)
Left Wing - Harry Kewell (Leeds United)

Striker - Mark Viduka (Leeds United)
Striker - Paul Agostino (1860 Munich)

Also in Squad
Joe Didulica (Ajax)
Zeljko Kalac (Perugia)
Tony Vidmar (Middlesbrough)
Hayden Foxe (Portsmouth)
Lindsay Wilson (PSV)
Vince Grella (Empoli)
Danny Tiatto (Manchester City)
Stan Lazaridis (Birmingham City)
John Aloisi (Osasuna)
Clayton Zane (Anderlecht)
Mile Sterjovski (Lille)

I think that this above side would be the best ever side an Australian team has ever put out. I know a few of my selections would seem weird, but don't worry the is method in my madness.

First Brett Emerton at Right Back, I know that he has always played at Right Wing for us, but I feel he is more suited to Right Back. His has played most of his football at Feynoord in that position and is effective attacking down the right. Bresciano is too good a player to leave out and with him at Right Wing that would give Australia a very attacking Right hand side. Also playing Emerton at Right Back would mean Muscat doesn't get a start. now thats a good idea.

Second, Luke Wilkshire in the centre of midfield. I feel that he will be a future Australian in this position anyway, so why not give him a go now instead of waiting. He is playing well at Middlesbrough and looks to have a bright future there.

Thirdly I don't think anyone will complain at having Kewell at Left Wing, afterall the WCQ showed that he shouldn't be played as a Striker. Moving him to Left Wing would give us Kewell in his best position and also would strech England's Right Hand Side, which is weak(Come on if they rely on Mills and Beckham down that side we should have no problems with Kewell attacking them). This would also mean that it would give Australia two out and out strikers which missed in the WCQ.

Overall a strong side which should cause England problems. Our Right Hand side will give there problem area, the left hand side a real work out and thats where we will beat them.

Schwarzer

Neil-----Moore-----Shane Crawford-------Tiatto/Lazaridis

Emerton----Bresciano----Grella-----Tiatto/Lazaridis

Kewell---Viduka

Kewell having a free role up front like he does when playing for Leeds and alongside Viduka.

Originally posted by wellsy
Schwarzer

Neil-----Moore-----Shane Crawford-------Tiatto/Lazaridis

Emerton----Bresciano----Grella-----Tiatto/Lazaridis

Kewell---Viduka

Kewell having a free role up front like he does when playing for Leeds and alongside Viduka.

Hand the man the captain's armband. He has a 100% captaining record. We'd win.

The Hitman

GK: Schwartzer
DEF: Neill - Moore - Popovic - Tiatto
MID: Emerton - Grella - Bresciano - Kewell
FOR: Viduka - Agostino

That'd be our best team, I have little doubt. Schwartzer would be better than Seaman at the moment, while Craig Moore is in career best form with Rangers. Neill and Tiatto are genuine premiership defenders, and Popovic is probably the second best centre back from Australia at present. That midfield is very, very potent. Emerton and Kewell can terrorise the wings, Grella has been learning the holding role at Empoli, and Parma's Bresciano can attack from the middle. Viduka and Agostino are the two I'd have up front, with both being potent in the air from the crosses of Kewell and Emerton, and both also good enough to finish off by foot, with Viduka having strength and great turning abilities.

We're a bloody chance if Farina doesn't stuff around and keep playing old hacks like Okon. My XI would certainly give us great team balance and strength throughout the lineup.

The Hitman

I don't know if this post is a p*ss-take or not, but frankly, I don't care. But seriously, such an assumption wouldn't be too far off the mark.

But then again, as the expression goes, if "if's" and "but's" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas, right? :eek:

Yet back on topic... should be a good challenge, a litimus test for where the Socceroos stand, and we'll see an Ashes battle in soccer. :)

Cheers,
William

The Poms have never gotten over the US beating 'em in 1950 (or 51) Don't know if they've played since but if not they're obviously running scared!

Originally posted by BT

The Poms have never gotten over the US beating 'em in 1950 (or 51) Don't know if they've played since but if not they're obviously running scared!

It was 1950-- in England's first-ever World Cup appearance. Up until then, they never thought that they had to play in it.

The USA and England have played several times since, and with mixed results...

From the U.S. Soccer media guide (and also available on the archives on www.us-soccer.com)...

June 8, 1953: USA 3 England 6, in New York City
May 28, 1959: USA 1 England 8, in Los Angeles
May 27, 1964: USA 0 England 10, in NYC
June 16, 1985: USA 0 England 5, in Los Angeles
June 9, 1993: USA 2 England 0, U.S. Cup game in Foxboro, Massachusetts
September 7, 1994: England 2 USA 0, at Wembley

It would be unfair to say England have "never gotten over" the USA beating them in Brazil in 1950, since they went on to win the World Cup on home soil 16 years later. But with the way the USA has been playing lately, they would certainly give England a better challenge than the Socceroos would, although the Socceroos desperately need a quality opponent, or any opponent to play right now...

Cheers,
William

From the noises Farina is making Grella seems a certainity to start if fit - Frankie loves the Serie A players.

Undoubtably we will lose a couple of players through injury - but we have a very good side potentially.

Sucks a bit it's on a Wednesday night - will be around 7AM here I think.

Lucas Neill has to be included in the starting 11. The guy has had a great, consistent season for Blackburn and has been very reliable in our shaky backline.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back