• Adelaide

Votes: 28 16.3%
  • GCS

Votes: 27 15.7%
  • other

Votes: 24 14.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Is all depend, everybody said Mayne (experienced player) is a spud for Collingwood in his first year, thing can change especially a player in his first year footy.

Completely different situation though. We'd seen Mayne as a competent AFL-standard player for many years at Fremantle. Nobody would have cared or batted an eyelid over Mayne in 2017 if the Pies were winning that year, or his contract value wasn't so high (which was mainly so that we reached minimum TPP, not because we "rated him" that highly, or expected him to be anything more than a handy veteran cog and role player). Mayne was never a high draft pick with big expectation (Pick #40 in the 2007 National Draft, as a 19-year-old), and even when he was struggling (at Freo or Collingwood), there was never any question over Mayne's workrate or attitude, either.

Completely different situation though. We'd seen Mayne as a competent AFL-standard player for many years at Fremantle. Nobody would have cared or batted an eyelid over Mayne in 2017 if the Pies were winning that year, or his contract value wasn't so high (which was mainly so that we reached minimum TPP, not because we "rated him" that highly, or expected him to be anything more than a handy veteran cog and role player). Mayne was never a high draft pick with big expectation (Pick #40 in the 2007 National Draft, as a 19-year-old), and even when he was struggling (at Freo or Collingwood), there was never any question over Mayne's workrate or attitude, either.
What I am trying to said is it take some time even for players like Mayne, shiel, Saad, stringer to get going with their new team and surrounding. Name me top 10 KPP that are great in their first year.

None, and they're not meant to be.

I think it's just showing that we have and we haven't learned about hyping these kids pre-draft.
Weitering did play well in his first year and then..........

Weitering did play well in his first year and then..........

I'd say Weitering was fairly good, all things considered, in his second year too. Somewhere along the way, Carlton got a bit spooked by a couple of blunders and poor performances, tried up forward as well, and he eventually had a poor/inconsistent third year. I'd say he's come along in massive leaps and bounds this year though (perhaps due to greater strength and fitness, and more confidence in his body, and greater trust and confidence from his coaches as well), and is tracking very well now.

2016-2018 - 56/66 games, 81.73% time on ground, 13.95 disposals per game, 5.54 marks per game, 0.95 contested marks per game, 2.02 rebound 50s per game, 4.84 intercept possessions per game, 3.91 one percenters per game, Champion Data Player Ranking Score average of 65.77

2019- 9/9 games, 96.78% time on ground, 14.44 disposals per game, 5.44 marks per game, 1.44 contested marks per game, 4.11 rebound 50s per game, 7.56 intercept possessions per game, 6.89 one percenters per game, Champion Data Player Ranking Score average of 74.11

Last edited:
I know we've "learned" since then, and have seen a fair few more key forward types picked early that have somewhat disappointed since, and a lot of the criticism Watts copped was completely unwarranted, but honestly, Lukosius has been far poorer and less impactful than Watts was early on, yet Watts copped merciless criticism, while Lukosius (perhaps due to being "hidden" on the Gold Coast) has seemingly escaped any discussion. People were claiming this kid was "worth tanking for", and SA fans were lining up their trade offers in advance, but it's looking like Lukosius was vastly overhyped, and will take a lot longer than first expected.

I think a lot of the hype around Lukosius and Watts came from a misunderstanding of the type of player they are. Neither are/were contested marking "power" forwards, even at junior level, and Lukosius getting games at senior level in the SANFL doesn't necessarily mean he had/has "man strength", either. With his athletic profile, foot skills, and footy brain, Watts projected to be a more skillful Nick Reiwoldt, but never quite got there (I still feel like Melbourne erred by not force-feeding him games and gametime at CHF from Day 1, regardless of pressure or results), and I feel Lukosius projects as a similar type.

Time will tell I suppose, but you'd expect Lukosius to be further along right now than he is, if he's going to end up being the superstar people expect when he hits his prime (ages 25-29, 2025-2029).

Do not think there is any real issue with him. I just not seen anything so far to match the hype. Does not mean he might not turn out good player. I suspect he will but he is the awkward body shape and size that you wonder is he in between a key position player/tall flanker and midfielder. The hype on him by some just not seeing so far. Those carrying on like he was clear number one pick, just look stupid to me given how impressive Walsh, Rozee and Blakey look to me and quite a few others still to come like Max King and Rankine.

Dew is taking the line of developing our whole list over a period of years.
We are in full on defence mode currently. Playing very tight, conservative style presently. The idea being to open up the game plan once our guys have learnt how to defend.

The current style does not suit Jack who is in his element on the lead - in space, using his athleticism and kicking.
He has shown a number of impressive traits to date- mainly his kicking inside 50 - his find of Ben Ainsworth on the half time siren this week was all class.
He looked good up on the wing this week and I think looking more and more comfortable at AFL level. His 'ranking points' are on the upward trend after a quiet start.

Yes he will be a Jack Watts type rather than a Tom Hawkins type - but that was obvious.
You'd like to think he will achieve a hell of a lot more than Jack has though - i'm sure he will.

Jack Lukosius is great mates with Conner Rozee and Jack's parents went to Melbourne to see Rozee's first game with Port.
After the game on the weekend Conner was having a good chat to Jack.
So I would say if Jack goes anywhere, it will be to Port Adelaide, to play along side of his mate.

Lukasious was always going to take a minute. He’s skinny as **** and needs to build his tank. He has exceeded expectations already by having a consistent spot in the side.

Finally someone with common sense.

Jack Lukosius is great mates with Conner Rozee and Jack's parents went to Melbourne to see Rozee's first game with Port.
So I would say if Jack goes anywhere, it will be to Port Adelaide, to play along side of his mate.

Suns played on Sunday at Marvel so it’s not like they specifically went over to watch him. And I dare say if he leaves he’ll go to the club offering him the most money.

Yep and Tom Lynch’s family are all one eyed Pies supporters, means nothing

I don't see him as a KPP at all. Yes he could end up an above average one...

But I think he will be a player like Patrick Cripps and as good as if not better. Big bodied midfielder. Seems to have good decision making ability and clean hands in traffic.

Also a smaller frame then most KPPs. Which makes me think will never be a great one. If he goes down that path he is more like Justin Westhoff.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The whole premise of this thread is just ridiculous. I can tell you from experience that some recruiters considered him the most talented player they have seen. His junior talent was undeniable! To judge an underdeveloped KPP as an 18 year old on his first 17 games is crazy. He is playing a a basket case club where talent has gone to die. He played in a number of different positions until they settled him in the back half. What he amounts to is up in the air but any suggestion he is a failure or bad selection is insane or ignorant at this stage. Also watch him closely because he is already as good a kick as anyone in the game!

Dew is taking the line of developing our whole list over a period of years.
We are in full on defence mode currently. Playing very tight, conservative style presently. The idea being to open up the game plan once our guys have learnt how to defend.

The current style does not suit Jack who is in his element on the lead - in space, using his athleticism and kicking.
He has shown a number of impressive traits to date- mainly his kicking inside 50 - his find of Ben Ainsworth on the half time siren this week was all class.
He looked good up on the wing this week and I think looking more and more comfortable at AFL level. His 'ranking points' are on the upward trend after a quiet start.

Yes he will be a Jack Watts type rather than a Tom Hawkins type - but that was obvious.
You'd like to think he will achieve a hell of a lot more than Jack has though - i'm sure he will.
@ the risk of being banned by Suns supporters on this site (again!), Lukosius has embraced being sent to defence and for the most part has shown a good awareness. Myself, I love King, he had already done it at both ends in the juniors.

If Lukosius hit Ben up that's all to the good. Ainsworth is a very promising young player also and has shown why he was highly regarded in his draft year.

Not sure I would compare him (Lukosius) to Watts but guess it goes with where he is playing this season to some minds, he will never be a Hawkins.

Back