Toast Jack Steele extends until 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda

Steeley resolve: Jack signs on
Dual All-Australian and Saints co-captain Jack Steele has signed a fresh five-year contract extension, tying him to the club until the end of 2027.

With two All-Australian jackets and two Trevor Barker Awards already in hand, Jack Steele can now add a new five-year deal to the list of accomplishments recognising his stellar on-field efforts, committing to the club until the end of 2027.

The 26-year-old has been the backbone of the club since emerging as a premier midfielder of the competition in 2020.

His high standing in the competition was also reflected in his placing at last year’s Brownlow Medal count (equal-fifth), AFL Coaches’ Association Champion Player of the Year (fourth) and AFL Players’ Association Most Courageous Player Award (first).

Steele also assumed the St Kilda co-captaincy last year alongside Jarryn Geary in his first official leadership role, skippering the side solo for 19 matches in 2021.

“I’m so proud to make this commitment to the Saints,” Steele said.
Pulling on the red, white and black is a privilege I have never taken for granted, and I’m incredibly fortunate to be able to do so for the next five years.
- Jack Steele
“I know what really counts is what happens when we run back onto Marvel for Round 1 next year and I believe in the group we have and the direction we’re heading.

“No matter what the season throws at us, I can guarantee that I will do everything I can to get myself and my teammates in the best position to bring home the ultimate prize for our loyal fans and members.”

Head of List Management James Gallagher said Steele’s signature was emblematic of the commitment the current playing group holds for the journey they’re on.

“We’re very happy to have Jack recommit to the club long-term,” Gallagher said.

“Jack is universally admired by his teammates, coaches and St Kilda supporters, and it’s not hard to see why.

“He’s the ultimate competitor, Steeley. In addition to his enormous output each week, he sets a wonderful example to our playing group with his professionalism and willingness to place the needs of the team above his own.

“We’re excited to see what Jack is capable of over the next six seasons, and wish him all the best for the years ahead.”

Senior Coach Brett Ratten echoed Gallagher’s sentiments, lauding Steele’s ability to just dig in and get the job done.

“Jack is the type of person who always gives everything he has,” Ratten said.

“Whether it’s during a game, out at training or helping out a teammate off the field, he never hesitates to share his knowledge and time, with the main aim of making us better as a collective.

“As a coach, I couldn’t ask for much more from a player. We’re really lucky and proud to have him commit to the club long-term and I’m sure all Saints fans feel the same.”

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Jack Steele will lead by example as he and his teammates aim to distance themselves from an unimpressive start to last season after the skipper moved quickly to sign a new contract.

St Kilda co-captain Jack Steele has signed a five-year contract extension, saying he has complete faith in the club’s direction despite its complacent start to last season.
Steele, 26, qualified for free agency next year, but moved quickly to sign an early agreement which will keep him at the club until the end of 2027.

The Canberra product, who has become one of the game’s best midfielders and clearance-winners over the past two seasons, said he wanted to deliver the Saints’ faithful a drought-breaking flag.

“It’s a massive privilege to sign a five-year deal with this club because I see the team going in a great direction,” Steele said.

“The contract was something I didn’t really want to worry about throughout the year. I just didn’t want that speculation.

“So, when I was in negotiations I knew exactly that this was the place I wanted to be for the rest of my career.

“I want to be part of the next premiership for this club and I’m going to do everything I can and I know my teammates are going to do everything they can.”

Brett Ratten’s men made an unimpressive start to last season when the Saints lost four of their first nine games by more than 50 points.

It cruelled their finals hopes by midway through the season, and prompted a fierce public spray from president Andrew Bassat.

Steele, a dual best and fairest and two-time All-Australian, said the Saints lost focus in the early part of last year, but was adamant the club had learned from its mistakes.

The former GWS Giant said as co-captain, he had also grown from the experience.

“I definitely feel like there was an element of complacency with our start to last year off the back of a positive 2020,” he said.

“We thought it was just going to happen for us, and things were just going to work out for us, and things were going to be given to us.

“I feel like it has been a great reality check for us and has really helped us drive standards and get things on track.”

The fearless skipper has made a strong start to pre-season, returning early to training with the first to fourth year players.

In Bassat’s criticism this year, he said the Saints were embarrassing and had performed well below even their most pessimistic expectations.

The president even said the window wouldn’t open for another season until 2022.

Steele welcomed the dressing down, saying it fuelled him and helped the group confront some issues at the bye.

“We are in a really good position. It is great that our president has those high expectations of us and it is great a leader of our club is coming out and saying that,” he said.

“We have, in terms of our playing list, a lot of potential, a lot of growth.

“We haven’t really tapped into what is possible with some key individuals so I am hoping this pre-season changes everything for us.

“The way I see it, no one really predicted Melbourne to win the premiership last year, and they’ve shown anything is possible when you get together and you see growth from key players, younger players. It is possible for it all to click.

“A healthy list, a great run in terms of the schedule, and timing. Look at the Bulldogs in 2016, they might not have been the best team that year but timed their run perfectly.

“It is elements of everything. Those comments internally really do drive me and a lot of other players as well.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

St Significant

Team Captain
Sep 10, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
When Lenny Hayes retired I wondered how long it would be to find someone to replace him. This is the man! I know he has a bit more to do to get to the heights of Lenny but geez he is an inspirational player the way he goes about his stuff. Make him the sole Captain.

PlayerNumber9

Number 9
Mar 6, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I can't see anywhere whether this is a new five year contract beyond 2022 (i.e. he's contracted for the next six years) or whether this replaces the final year of his existing contract (in which case he's contracted for the next five).

It will also be interesting to find out if there are any conditions on the later years.

As you can probably tell, I'm uncomfortable with long contracts even for really good players - there's just too much injury risk in lengthy contracts.

Mowman

Cancelled
Day Off
Veteran St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2023 10k Posts St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2022 St Kilda - James Frawley Player Sponsor 2021 Saints Pledge Contributor St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019
May 19, 2013
Any rumours on what the deal was worth?

Seems like the kind of dude that would take unders so there was room in the cap to bring in another gun 🤞
does sound like something he would do

does sound like something he would do
he did it in his last contract. took unders. probably did n't as much but still, i would assume that if he was on the open market it would have gotten more anyway.

I can't see anywhere whether this is a new five year contract beyond 2022 (i.e. he's contracted for the next six years) or whether this replaces the final year of his existing contract (in which case he's contracted for the next five).

It will also be interesting to find out if there are any conditions on the later years.

As you can probably tell, I'm uncomfortable with long contracts even for really good players - there's just too much injury risk in lengthy contracts.
this new contract would replace his last year 2022.

BarkerFan

Team Captain
Nov 26, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Anyone have any idea where our salary cap stands?

It seems to me that we created a lot of space this offseason. Compared to last year, we cleared out the salaries of Dunstan, Roberton (both on decent salaries, I believe... Not huge but both signed at an opportune time), Lonie, Carlisle (both modest salaries last year I believe but presumably more than rookies or early career players), then all of Hannabury, Billings, and Ross have taken significant pay cuts for 2022 compared to 2021.

The club also handled the Covid Cap reduction well, with players taking an across the board hit so that it did not require backloading.

On the other side we brought in Campbell (who just takes the salary of Hunter) and a bunch of rookies.
I wonder if the club was able to front load Steeles new deal, given that some space was freed up?

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
Someone posted a heads up about this a while ago. Said the deal would make Jack the highest paid player at the club. Deservedly so IMO.
Looking at our list's contract status l suspect any significant pay increase to kick in 2023 after some retirements and pay cuts for a few guys, but IIRC another 250k would get the job done and you'd think that wouldn't be too hard to scrounge up for 2022 if they we're so inclined.

We would have saved a bit with a short list this year and the chnge in demographic with 4 draftees and again a short list will free up a bit more cash.

Someone posted a heads up about this a while ago. Said the deal would make Jack the highest paid player at the club. Deservedly so IMO.
Looking at our list's contract status l suspect any significant pay increase to kick in 2023 after some retirements and pay cuts for a few guys, but IIRC another 250k would get the job done and you'd think that wouldn't be too hard to scrounge up for 2022 if they we're so inclined.

We would have saved a bit with a short list this year and the chnge in demographic with 4 draftees and again a short list will free up a bit more cash.

Absolutely, the guy is our best player by a mile. He's our only player that could even be considered elite at this stage and deserves to be paid at least as much as Hanners and Hill. Hopefully it's front loaded and we pay it off before the kids come on though. Big long term contacts haven't been good for a few clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back