Player Watch Jaeger O'Meara: 4 more years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeh that's true but my point is he hasn't had the normal development a 26 year has which is why he still has upside.

He's going to have a shorter peak of course but he's not at that peak yet. Footy wise he's at where your average 23 year old is.

But yeh he's only going to 3-4 years at his best rather than the 6-7 most players have.

Sometimes you strike it rich don't you? Guys like Duckwood, Judd, Cripps, Pendlebury and our very own Jimmy Worpel come in and impact like seasoned vets by the time they get out of their teens.

I would love to see JOM progress, without doubt, he is an absolute key for us and going to provide muscle and support for Titch and Worpel, but what could really elevate his game is if he can hit the score board, that's one area he probably has on the previous 2.

The other thing to consider about omeara is that he and the club will continue to learn how best to prepare him for football. We have seen the consistency of his contribution from week to week improve as he has been at the club longer. After three years at the club I expect we have a pretty good understanding now and we can hopefully expect more of the form he showed in the first six weeks of the season this year. Club seems bullish about him based on the media.

Haha

You've sat on my post so long, yet these flimsy stats are what you've come back with as evidence that JO'M could/should play wing?

I'll concede that 'tank' is the wrong word to have used. Of course he can't run the lines in the manner that a Scully or Smith or Hill or Gaff or <insert elite wingman here> can. He does definitely have the tank for repeat sprint & burst efforts & they accumulate (very impressively) over the course of the game as your stats have shown - however, to suggest that those numbers support that he can play wing like Smith/Scully or even Hendo is bonkers.

it's a very different kind of running & fitness & isn't the best use of his physical attributes. Check his body shape to every other wingman & how much additional power & grunt that he has vs them & likely, his additional body weight.
We really need to see distance covered at top speed, average speed etc

From what I've seen his repeat efforts and average speed are good enough for a wing. Nobody maintains top speed for as long as Scully but that doesn't meant hey can't play wing.

I reckon he could I just think we've got better uses for him than as a purely outside player.

We really need to see distance covered at top speed, average speed etc

From what I've seen his repeat efforts and average speed are good enough for a wing. Nobody maintains top speed for as long as Scully but that doesn't meant hey can't play wing.

I reckon he could I just think we've got better uses for him than as a purely outside player.
Does he run the 2km Time Trial in pre-season?

I'm sure he did pre-injury at Gil Coast, but I wonder if he has since.

Does Scully?
Was barely running at that stage in 2019 from memory & I don't think he did it this pre-season, but then neither does Burgoyne & numerous others.

I'm specifically interested in whether JO'M does.

Does he run the 2km Time Trial in pre-season?

I'm sure he did pre-injury at Gil Coast, but I wonder if he has since.
No he does the repeat efforts test which they never talk about. So did Scully btw.

edit omeara won the repeat test last year. Not sure this year if it was him or Scully.

No he does the repeat efforts test which they never talk about. So did Scully btw.

edit omeara won the repeat test last year. Not sure this year if it was him or Scully.
That'd be heaps more his style.

Mitch Lewis did very well in that repeat sprint test this year, didn't he?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jaegar can play where he wants as far as I’m concerned.

2020 = the year of Jaegar.

Get in the Omeara mobile now and put your foot on the gas

Toot toot

Agree, I'm hoping he can become the dominant player he promised to be all those years ago. Mitchell, Worpel and Wingard can really help him this season.

Reckon he's wasted in the crash and bash of on ball, and just that tad off his early brilliant physical beast best of the first few years of his career that allowed him to break free regularly to set up play.

I actually think he could be a very very nice addition to the forward line, reading the play and roving or running on to loose balls, hitting up for a mark at the 47 and going back and slotting.
He had a tonne of forward excitement to his game at GC, and regardless of what we paid and where we thought he would help us most I think plans change and thinking should too.

We'd get a much longer career out of him as well if he became a roving forward pocket averaging 30-35 goals a game and 18-20 possies.

To make room for JOM up forward, Burgers could cover 10 mins in the center, 10 mins on a hbf, and 10 on the bench, while we give the youf a chance to rip a position through the middle for themselves for the next 7-8 years.

Last edited:
Yeah I bloody well hope so, we have 2 absolute grunt bulls in Worpel and Titch but we lack any resemblance of an X-Factor dynamic mid for which JOM was really recruited to be. Personally, I have enough of a sample size to form the view that at 26 years of age with long term patella issues and how he has played the last 2 years seemingly fit that what we have seen from JOM is what we have got for the long term.
I think this will be the year to pigeonhole O’Meara. If he doesn’t kick on I’ll be with you on this one as well.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back