FTA-TV Jane Campion's 'Top of the Lake'

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 26, 2008
Fight Club
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
76ers, Storm, Broad St.
This is pretty brilliant. It's a miniseries that just started airing (first two eps are out) set in a remote New Zealand mountain town.

Pretty much any review you read will tell you how this is like 'the Killing' but 100 times better. Just done so well.

Cast is amazing. Elizabeth Moss is great in it. So awesome to see her in something that isn't Mad Men or the West Wing, because I don't know that I've seen her much in anything else. Kiwi accent's a bit off but that's not a problem. And then there's David Wenham, Holly Hunter and Peter Mullan, the latter two being pretty terrifying/mesmerising in it.

And obvious when I said New Zealand mountain town that this is gorgeous to look at.

Only annoying thing about it is that there are weird cuts sometimes in the change of scenes. Don't know if it's intentional or just a broadcasting thing. But yeah just super excited to watch the rest of it. Only 7 episodes in total and it seems that it'll be on UKTV on Foxtel as well.

Think it might end up being one of the best things on television for 2013.

Yep saw the ad on Foxtel and it certainly interests me. Are they doing any encore screenings of the first two eps? I assume torrents will be hard to find.

The Killing is on my top shelf of TV shows so if it is half as good as that then it will be worth checking out.

Quite liked the first episode. You can tell this show will go a lot deeper psychologically.

Finished the series. Won't go into any details other than to say ended as strongly as it started. One sequence in particular in the penultimate episode, took my breath away.

Always complain how Mad Men actors never get any awards, well maybe Moss finally will get one in the mini series category.

Turning my attention now to this new series on Sundance, Rectify.

Created by the awesome Ray McKinnon.

Only six episodes, but there's plans for future seasons.

Looks like Sundance getting in on the HBO, AMC market.

I finished it the other night. really enjoyed it.

Has flaws but, in a sense, that's what makes it so good. Hugely ambitious and superbly crafted.

Finished the series. Won't go into any details other than to say ended as strongly as it started. One sequence in particular in the penultimate episode, took my breath away.

The final two eps were immoral stomach turners.

Wenham...Al...probably the creepiest s.o.b on TV for many years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The final two eps were immoral stomach turners.

Wenham...Al...probably the creepiest s.o.b on TV for many years.

Wasn't he brilliant? I kind of wish if I hadn't have watched it before. Would love to watch it again fresh.

About to give this a spin now. Having just spend 10 days touring NZ I'm looking forward to seeing some familiar sights. I've read the cinematography for the show is quite good.

Yep, the cinematography is superb. The very opening sequence where they cut between long shots of the girl cycling across the landscape and close-ups is quite memorable. Has a very poetic, intelligent feel to all the camera work.

Just watched the entire series; a beautifully crafted story. My only complaint was in casting American Elisabeth Moss as a Sydney detective. Although her performance was otherwise terrific, her game attempt at an Aussie accent is very much hit-and-miss.

Just watched the entire series; a beautifully crafted story. My only complaint was in casting American Elisabeth Moss as a Sydney detective. Although her performance was otherwise terrific, her game attempt at an Aussie accent is very much hit-and-miss.

Watching in her MM and this, she was excellent, the accent a good cross b/w Kiwi/Aussie.

How the ABC jumped ship on this is beyond belief.

Just watched the entire series; a beautifully crafted story.

Agreed, but dark and nasty. Great stuff.

My only complaint was in casting American Elisabeth Moss as a Sydney detective. Although her performance was otherwise terrific, her game attempt at an Aussie accent is very much hit-and-miss.

I know what you mean, but after a couple of eps I forgot about it. IIRC she said it was the best and most demanding thing she has done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back