Travel Japan

Remove this Banner Ad

Off to Japan next Friday for 24 nights. Have read most this thread and got some great info which helped me plan my trip thanks guys.

All accommodation booked. Itinerary as follows:
Tokyo (Shinjuku) - 6 nights
Hakone - 2 nights
Osaka - 5 nights
Hiroshima - 1 night
Naoshima - 1 night
Kyoto - 4 nights
Tokyo (Ginza) - 5 nights

Any more tips while I'm there? Have got JR pass to get around between cities. Managed to snare to tickets to Sumo tournament and have a few other activities planned. Still plenty of free time so if there are any must do's I'd love to know.

Try and stay in or near Dotonbori Street in Osaka. Umeda Sky Tower is also awesome in Osaka.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Off to Japan next Friday for 24 nights. Have read most this thread and got some great info which helped me plan my trip thanks guys.

All accommodation booked. Itinerary as follows:
Tokyo (Shinjuku) - 6 nights
Hakone - 2 nights
Osaka - 5 nights
Hiroshima - 1 night
Naoshima - 1 night
Kyoto - 4 nights
Tokyo (Ginza) - 5 nights

Any more tips while I'm there? Have got JR pass to get around between cities. Managed to snare to tickets to Sumo tournament and have a few other activities planned. Still plenty of free time so if there are any must do's I'd love to know.

Also try and get a day in Kobe during your stint in Osaka or Kyoto.

Which JR pass did you get? Your itinerary seems a big spread out for it to be worth it monetarily speaking.

In Tokyo make sure you do MariCar where you dress up in Super Mario cosplay and go around Tokyo in go karts. It was one of the highlights of my trip.

Got the 21 day economy pass. $700, but should cover just about all our internal travel other than last few days in Tokyo.

Try and stay in or near Dotonbori Street in Osaka. Umeda Sky Tower is also awesome in Osaka.

Thanks chargers 09. Staying at Cross Hotel right on Dotonbori so great to hear.

Got the 21 day economy pass. $700, but should cover just about all our internal travel other than last few days in Tokyo.

Have you actually manually added up the costs of each of the trips and see whether it comes under $700. I would be surprised if it didn't. Obviously it's too late now but if I were planning the trip now I'd probably see whether I could squeeze all the mid-trip travel to 14 days and see whether you could get the cheaper 14 day pass instead.

My other tips:
  • Get SUICA/PASMO card. You don't save much (I think something you save something like 5 yen per trip) but it's much more convenient than having to buy a ticket every time you want to travel via train. Also, having the JR Pass is handy for traveling for free on JR lines but I wouldn't go too out of the way just to get on a JR line.
  • Get either a local SIM or pocket wifi if in a bigger group, it's invaluable when looking up directions and eating places. There's a lot of competition in this area so it doesn't work out to be too expensive
  • Use Google Maps to look up how to get between two places. Use Apple Maps (if you have iOS) to look up which station exit you need to get to. This is important because the bigger stations like Tokyo and Shinjuku there are so many exits that if you get out at the wrong exit, you could be a kilometre away from where you need to be.
  • Use Hyperdia to work out Shinkansen times. Some people also use Hyperdia to work out traveling within a city like Tokyo or Kyoto but I preferred Google Maps.
  • If traveling with luggage on Shinkansen or on longer trips (e.g. Tokyo-Kyoto), strongly urge reserving seats. Otherwise for shorter trips like Kyoto-Osaka you can just line up at the unreserved carriages. Should be plenty of seats unless it's peak hour.
  • Travel light if possible, it's just a ******* pain in the arse dragging big luggage around train stations and inside trains.
  • Many of the highly rated eating places on TripAdvisor were packed with lines (most of the tourists btw). Try and not go during peak times e.g. 11:30am-1:30pm for lunch and 6-8:30pm for dinner.
  • Kyoto has less trains than Tokyo and most of the touristy places will require a bus. However the buses are slow and also quite packed with both locals and tourists alike. Consider getting a taxi if you have 3+ people in your group, they are relatively cheap. Also there are so many places to visit in Kyoto and they are spread out all over so I would definitely plan carefully what to visit as you only have 4 nights there.
  • Places I recommend in Kyoto - Arashimaya, Golden Pavilion, Silver Pavilion, Fushimi Inari, Gion, Kiyomizudera, Maruyama Park, Nishiki market. Also consider day trips to Himeji and Nara.
  • Try to avoid beef dishes (unless it's something unique like Kobe beef or the Japanese style Hamburg). The cheap beef is absolutely crap and the expensive beef is really expensive. You get better steak here in Australia.
  • Coffee quality varies greatly, and you can't really tell by the appearance of the cafe. Some modern looking cafes serve something akin to warm milk rather than coffee, but some older looking places serve really good coffee. If you're really desperate for coffee, Starbucks does an okay job - at least you know what you're getting.
  • It's probably too late now since your leaving next Friday, but for cash I would recommend using the Citibank Plus debit card and withdrawing from 7/11 ATMs. Fee-free and you get excellent rates.
  • Most Japanese shops, restaurants or cafe I visited had at least one person who could speak English, but even the ones who seemed not able to can probably understand (mostly) what you're saying but they don't have the ability or confidence to reply back in English. But if you do it with a smile and the universal language of hand gestures you can communicate fine. I learnt how to read katakana before I went, it helps a little when you're buying staff that have labels (Katakana for those who don't know is the Japanese alphabet for loan words from foreign languages - most of them from English). Also learn a few simple set phrases like hello, thank you, where is the toilet, can I have the bill etc. - they do appreciate that.

Hi, have enjoyed reading this thread as am heading to Japan for th first time in October, lots of great tips and hints..we are travelling to Japan for 21 days depart MEL on 14/10/17 my itin. Is below so any feedback is welcome, we have decided to head to the mountains we like hiking, art, history, food etc ( who doesn't) yet to decide on a JR pass need to do some calculations have booked the first five nights in Ueno district an Airbnb

I know we can't predict the weather but is the Nagano area good in late October ?

Depart 14/10/17
5 nights Tokyo - day trip Fuji , Nikko?
Train to Nagano
3 nights Nagano - day trip to onsen and some hiking
Train to Matsumoto
2 nights Matsumoto
Train to Magome
1 or 2 nights Magome - will do the walk to Tsugamo / Nakasendo Trail
Train to Kyoto
5 night Kyoto - day trips to Nara & Himeji
2 spare nights...Hiroshima? TBA
2 nights Tokyo
overnight flight home

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi, have enjoyed reading this thread as am heading to Japan for th first time in October, lots of great tips and hints..we are travelling to Japan for 21 days depart MEL on 14/10/17 my itin. Is below so any feedback is welcome, we have decided to head to the mountains we like hiking, art, history, food etc ( who doesn't) yet to decide on a JR pass need to do some calculations have booked the first five nights in Ueno district an Airbnb

I know we can't predict the weather but is the Nagano area good in late October ?

Depart 14/10/17
Train to Nagano
Train to Matsumoto
2 nights Matsumoto
Train to Magome
Train to Kyoto
2 nights Tokyo
overnight flight home

Cheers

Good schedule - we did the Tsugamo / Nakasendo Trail. It's nice and easy to do in one day (one way).

Hiroshima is good - we stayed at Miyajima Island nearby which is a great break from the city and easy enough to get to by train and ferry.

Thanks swindog not sure what Nagano is like in October but tossing up between the above itinerary or Takayama and Manazawa option

We plan to do the Nakasendo one way and bus it back Magome or visa versa which of the two towns would you suggest to stay and any hotel / accom recommendations?

We are luke warm on Hiroshima...

Thanks swindog not sure what Nagano is like in October but tossing up between the above itinerary or Takayama and Manazawa option

We plan to do the Nakasendo one way and bus it back Magome or visa versa which of the two towns would you suggest to stay and any hotel / accom recommendations?

We are luke warm on Hiroshima...

We stayed in this place, just outside Tsumago:

https://www.booking.com/hotel/jp/to...74fbf1a2db962bX1;type=total;ucfs=1&#hotelTmpl

It was the one time we splashed out on the trip and was totally worth it. It's out of town - you purchase dinner and breakfast at the hotel as there are no shops around, but it's a traditional dinner, the food is fantastic and the onsen looks out over the mountains.

My other tips:
  1. Many of the highly rated eating places on TripAdvisor were packed with lines (most of the tourists btw). Try and not go during peak times e.g. 11:30am-1:30pm for lunch and 6-8:30pm for dinner.
  2. Try to avoid beef dishes (unless it's something unique like Kobe beef or the Japanese style Hamburg). The cheap beef is absolutely crap and the expensive beef is really expensive. You get better steak here in Australia.
  3. Coffee quality varies greatly, and you can't really tell by the appearance of the cafe. Some modern looking cafes serve something akin to warm milk rather than coffee, but some older looking places serve really good coffee. If you're really desperate for coffee, Starbucks does an okay job - at least you know what you're getting.
  4. It's probably too late now since your leaving next Friday, but for cash I would recommend using the Citibank Plus debit card and withdrawing from 7/11 ATMs. Fee-free and you get excellent rates.
  5. Most Japanese shops, restaurants or cafe I visited had at least one person who could speak English, but even the ones who seemed not able to can probably understand (mostly) what you're saying but they don't have the ability or confidence to reply back in English. But if you do it with a smile and the universal language of hand gestures you can communicate fine. I learnt how to read katakana before I went, it helps a little when you're buying staff that have labels (Katakana for those who don't know is the Japanese alphabet for loan words from foreign languages - most of them from English). Also learn a few simple set phrases like hello, thank you, where is the toilet, can I have the bill etc. - they do appreciate that.
  1. Tripadvisor is going to lead you to packed places. Consider Gurunavi. Also consider going to an entertainment area and just trying to find a local izakaya, yakitori etc. The more local it is, the more they will bend to accommodate you. A handful of Japanese phrases will pay off - especially "Konno hen ne XXX arimasu ka?" Is there a XXX in this area?
  2. Beef is not a huge part of japanese cuisine. If the weather is cold a traditional sukiyaki place is great though. find one on gnavi or through your concierge. Only issue is that you have to know how to eat it so keep getting the waitress's attention and ask "do desu ka?" (how do I....") "Do" is pronounced like dough. She will gesture.
  3. For coffee, look for / search for Segafredo Zanetti cafes or the handful of Illy. These two have good italian coffee.
  4. Don't forget you can withdraw money from Post office ATMS and there is an english option on those ATMs
  5. You will often be away from spoken english. A few points - sometimes a customer will help, sometimes you can get by with pointing, many japanese have a good vocab of ENglish nouns but can't actually speak English (often a single noun like "Train" "Coffee" etc will help). In emergencies you can look for either a hotel, a travel agent (dying breed) or an Indian restaurant - the only shops with a very high chance of spoken english.

Depart 14/10/17
Train to Nagano
Train to Matsumoto
2 nights Matsumoto
Train to Magome
Train to Kyoto
2 nights Tokyo
overnight flight home

Cheers

If you are airbnb ing near Ueno, bear in mind that the areas to the north of the station (Uguisuidani etc) and the south west of the station are pretty much red light districts (might make some people uncomfortable). If you are are staying East of the main station do not neglect to pop into Kappabashi Dori for kitchen ware, sake cups, knives, and plastic fake food etc.

That said, there is nothing particularly confronting about red light areas in Japan and they are still great areas to dine in.

Usually don't venture to these parts but thought I'd share my recent itinerary.

Big fan of Japan and very keen to see Hokkaido and Kyushu next time. Trip was two weeks in their summer and quite fast paced. Good to relax in the mountains midway through. Kurashiki was the token off the beaten path selection and it impressed. Chilled vibe with a ridiculously good art gallery. Recommend paying extra for green pass on the trains. Happy with the below but in hindsight should have skipped Nikko for more time in Tokyo.

Tokyo (with Nikko day trip)
Kanazawa
Takayama
Okuhida (with Kamikochi day trip)
Kurashiki (Naoshima and Hiroshima day trips)
Kyoto
Osaka

If you are airbnb ing near Ueno, bear in mind that the areas to the north of the station (Uguisuidani etc) and the south west of the station are pretty much red light districts (might make some people uncomfortable). If you are are staying East of the main station do not neglect to pop into Kappabashi Dori for kitchen ware, sake cups, knives, and plastic fake food etc.

That said, there is nothing particularly confronting about red light areas in Japan and they are still great areas to dine in.

Thanks for the tip.

Our area is Yushima, 3 Chome ( just near the yushima shrine)

What are your thoughts on that area?

I have put together a draft itinerary, I would appreciate your thoughts is that ok?

Thanks

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big fan of Japan and very keen to see Hokkaido and Kyushu next time. Trip was two weeks in their summer and quite fast paced. Good to relax in the mountains midway through. Kurashiki was the token off the beaten path selection and it impressed. Chilled vibe with a ridiculously good art gallery. Recommend paying extra for green pass on the trains. Happy with the below but in hindsight should have skipped Nikko for more time in Tokyo.

Kanazawa
Takayama
Kyoto
Osaka

Looks like a great itin what was your thoughts on Kanazawa & Takayama, we are thinking of kamikochi day trip as well,

What does the green pass entitle ?

Thanks for the tip.

Our area is Yushima, 3 Chome ( just near the yushima shrine)

What are your thoughts on that area?

I have our together a draft itinerary, I would appreciate your thoughts is that ok?

Thanks

Area between Yushima and Ueno-Hirokoji stations (north of Toei Oedo line) is kind of a red light district. Not a big deal, but guys walking through there will be approached by touts and massage people to offer services.

Step out onto the main street and no one will say a thing. If a man and woman walk together, the touts won't say anything... but may attempt a little eye contact.

I like to go to a nice seafood izakaya right in there - I am not offended by the touts but they always approach me if I am walking alone. There is also a great tempura place, and some good sushi.

Proximity to Ueno, okachimachi, ameyokocho, kappabashi is excellent.

Looks like a great itin what was your thoughts on Kanazawa & Takayama, we are thinking of kamikochi day trip as well,

What does the green pass entitle ?
Cheers. Kanazawa is a quiet wealthy town that was spared during the war. Everything is in walking distance so it was good to spend a couple of days after Tokyo. The garden there is one of the best in the country, some good historic sites like a castle and ninja district. The sushi there is amazing. Takayama is a sleepy well preserved hill town in a beautiful location. Hida beef and whisky is a must while you're there. Kamikochi is beautiful but be sure to hit up an onsen after a day of walking. Green card is the first class rail pass. Cost not much extra but you get to sit back in a giant seat with your legs fully extended while seeing the countryside on the shinkansen.

Area between Yushima and Ueno-Hirokoji stations (north of Toei Oedo line) is kind of a red light district. Not a big deal, but guys walking through there will be approached by touts and massage people to offer services.

Step out onto the main street and no one will say a thing. If a man and woman walk together, the touts won't say anything... but may attempt a little eye contact.

I like to go to a nice seafood izakaya right in there - I am not offended by the touts but they always approach me if I am walking alone. There is also a great tempura place, and some good sushi.

Proximity to Ueno, okachimachi, ameyokocho, kappabashi is excellent.
I think we are just east of there, but shouldn't bother us by your description...

2 females travelling should handle it..

Cheers. Kanazawa is a quiet wealthy town that was spared during the war. Everything is in walking distance so it was good to spend a couple of days after Tokyo. The garden there is one of the best in the country, some good historic sites like a castle and ninja district. The sushi there is amazing. Takayama is a sleepy well preserved hill town in a beautiful location. Hida beef and whisky is a must while you're there. Kamikochi is beautiful but be sure to hit up an onsen after a day of walking. Green card is the first class rail pass. Cost not much extra but you get to sit back in a giant seat with your legs fully extended while seeing the countryside on the shinkansen.

How did you get to kamikochi ?

We are looking forward to sake

I have been visiting 2 -3 times a year for 15 years but its usually Tokyo and Osaka and in and out in 3 - 4 days. Its just been subways, hotels and office buildings.

That was until recently when I took my daughter and we wandered from Hiroshima, Kyoto, Osaka, Mt Fuji to Tokyo. The only disappointment was the low cloud around Mt Fuji.

Visit the Tokyo skytree just before dusk and stay until dark. Amazing views.

I stay in Akasaka. You can get anywhere around Tokyo from the Akasaka-Mitsuke station.

I am boycotting facebook at the moment.

Three separate friends of mine who do not know one another are all in Japan, all in different cities, enjoying themselves.

Bah.

Kanazawa
Takayama
Kyoto
Osaka

Try and stay as close to Dotonbori District for Osaka.

Going again this year on October 30th. Itinerary is still chopping and changing a bit.

Currently going with this, in order:
Tokyo - day trip to Nikko, and maybe Yokohama or Hakone.
Kyoto - day trip to Kobe and maybe Himeji
Osaka
Kanazawa
Kusatsu (We'll be getting there just after the trails on Mt Shirane close I think, which is disappointing)
Back to Tokyo

I went solo last time so going with someone else this time will be a bit different.
Takayama was my favourite city last time I went and i'd love to go back, but it's a bit tricky to fit in.

Fukuoka is my favourite city in Japan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back